Thick, thin and grey stamp Base Set

In my quest to collect every variation of Voltorb and Electrode, I often backtrack and double check to make sure I am not missing anything. Occasionally, I think back to the Grey and Thin Stamp Base Set. By following my own, strict guidelines, I don’t currently collect these prints. This is because they aren’t currently considered official variations of the 1ED Base Set. Still, there is a nagging feeling that I should include these in my collection, even if I do feel like it is a bit nitpicky.

So here is my question to you. Do you consider them separate variations? I’d like to see what the consensus is on this issue. If you do feel one way or another about it, please explain why. Maybe, after hearing what my fellow collectors have to say about it, I will be more comfortable with which side of the fence I end up on.

Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

For my Gyarados collection I definitely include the thick, thin, grey stamp. Also do you have a link to your Voltorb and Electrode collection would love to sneak a peak!

Interesting. So are the thin stamps confirmed on anything other than those few non holos? Also, what about grey stamps?

@shizzlemetimbers, Here is the link: www.elitefourum.com/t/tonysandlins-voltorb-and-electrode-collection-thread/11748/1

It doesn’t have everything on it, but I will be updating periodically. Also, I need to add the new pages for the languages that are already in the thread.

1 Like

i’ve actually got a thin stamp voltorb, plus quite a few more commons, theyre very rare from what ive seen. i consider them different and make sure i have all variants in my collection

Very interesting. Oh, and I compared some pictures of the variations and it looks like both my Voltorb and Electrode are thin stamps. So, if I were to collect the rest, it would be grey stamp and thick stamp. I’m just not sold on it yet and I feel like it might end up setting the stage for a slew of other strange variations that have no place in my collection.

How well recognized are these in the Pokemon collecting scene?
Also, how rare or expensive would the remaining cards be? I’d consider collecting them if they don’t cost an arm and a leg.

the thin stamps are the rarer ones, so i think you may be mistaken, theyre named according to the size of the ‘1’, ill show a comparison; on the left we have a thin stamp, and the right we have a thick

theyre known to exist by the higher end collectors, your average joe won’t know of their existance, price would be up to the seller, as only a few known examples of thin stamps on commons and uncommons exist

1 Like

If you include those, you will need the grey + thin voltorb/electrode …

@acebren

I see now that the thin stamp means that the number 1 is thin. Looks like I don’t have that one. Well, if anyone has one, please let me know and I will consider it, but I don’t know that I am crazy about the idea.

@missingno

The grey stamp ones don’t really come across as variants to me, but I guess, neither do the thin and thick… haha

The thin stamp ones are extremely rare and should be worth in the 1000.00usd range. I had one and sold it for 500.00 but that was to a customer who bought over 10k at the same time.
I know Scott has one,

2 Likes

Wow, that is much more than I was expecting. I think that just about answers my question if I should collect them or not haha

What about grey stamp ones?

Grey stamps are easier to find compared to “thin” stamped common/uncommon cards. The “thin” common/uncommon cards are absurdly difficult to find. Outside of the copy Gary had, and my copy, I have not seen any others.

Is there any explanation for the thin and thick stamps? I just find it strange that they would be considered different cards. Also, are there any confirmed thin stamps for Electrode? Acebren, you say you have a Voltorb?

I would say the grey stamp Voltorb in nm or better may be worth 15.00 or so.
Pm me if you want me to do a search…

yes i have a voltorb, no rares with thin stamps have surfaced, i imagine some were printed, but they would be much rarer than the commons and to a degree, uncommons.

1 Like

Ah, very interesting. I supposed I won’t include the thin stamp then since it is so rare. It’s better to not get hung up over a card that I hardly consider a different variation. Still, it would be cool to have one.

You have a thin stamped voltorb?! If so would you mind posting a picture?

2 Likes

i can get around to it tomorrow, i posted a pic of my thin stamped charmander next to a thick stamped one on the previous page, let me know if you still want the voltorb pic

1 Like

I just checked out the thin charmander. You should give that guy a scan of his own. They are a pain to find!

2 Likes

Silly question perhaps but is it known for certain that the thin/thick stamp variation actually exists from print? I.e. one of them isn’t faked?

Good point.

Also, if there isn’t one already created, we should build a list of every known thin stamp and grey stamp card that is known.

1 Like