Tonysandlin's Voltorb and Electrode Collection Thread!

Hello everyone, welcome to my collection thread! I’d like to use this space to showcase my Pokemon cards, primarily focusing on my Voltorb and Electrode collection. Every so often, I will update this thread with a new category of cards and an accompanying description or story for them. I hope you enjoy what you see!

Voltorb and Electrode Collection

First, I’d like to start with a little history for this particular collection of cards. In 2010, I began collection Pokemon cards again after being on a hiatus since I was about 12. I was mostly focusing on Base-Neo Destiny, but I maintained a side collection of my favorite Pokemon, Voltorb and Electrode. I initially began with the goal of obtaining just one of each card in English without paying much attention to the reverse holographic or 1st edition variations. After a year of collecting, I was nearing the end when I noticed some exclusive Japanese cards that I decided to add to my collection. I had also began looking for 1st editions, errors and reverse holo cards. Fast forward another year and I was beginning to slow down on this collection too. However, I noticed that I had accumulated cards from different languages as throw ins or extras from other trades. I did some research on the various languages and what expansions they printed before making the commitment to the type of collection I now have.

The criteria I developed for this particular collection is as follows:
Own one copy of every Voltorb and Electrode Pokemon TCG card in each language, including all print runs, reverse holo or other holo variants, serial codes variants, misprint or errors, or any other card that has a clear and indisputable difference and that is not a one-off error. I have not committed to the 1st edition stamp variants, so those aren’t included. I also don’t include any miscuts, squarecuts, ink errors, or anything of the sort.
So based on those guidelines, I have compiled a list of the Voltorb and Electrode cards I need to complete my collection, starting with English. Also, as a side note, I don’t particularly care for condition of my cards as long as they are not terrible. Once every card is in my possession, then the ones in poor condition will be slowly fazed out for better cards.

8 Likes

This is really neat, well done !

1 Like

i like it

1 Like

I love collections like this. Nice work.

3 Likes

You have a very impressive collection and how you presented it in your thread is excellent. It shows that you’ve really put a lot if effort into it. Thanks for sharing your collection.

2 Likes

English

Spoiler

In order for both Voltorb and Electrode Base: 1st edition, Shadowless, Unlimited, European print run. The 1st edition Voltorb was obtained at Nationals in 2011 in a bulk pile of commons that were 10 cents each. I only wanted this one and the vendor just let me have it for free :stuck_out_tongue:

Spoiler

The top middle Electrode is the error, missing the Jungle symbol and the top right is the error 1st edition Jungle Electrode with the Base set picture.

Spoiler

Spoiler

The bottom row of Aquapolis Electrode have my favorite picture of any Electrode. I just love the derpy look!

Spoiler

Th Skyridge card here seems to only have a bar code on the bottom while the Aquapoli cards had them on the bottom and left side. Does anyone know why that is? Also, starting with the EX Hidden legends Voltorbs, we have a variation of codes on the bottom left corner. Since the first 6 numbers or letters are the same for any given card, I will only list the last 3 for each. CG3,R66, VA5 and S0P for the RH. Here is a thread that contains mor information on these codes. I managed to obtain the specific cards by emailing Troll and Toad and asking if they had them. They were kind enough to sort them out and pull one of each for me even though they are not listed as seperate cards.

Spoiler

Both EX FireRed and LeafGreen as well as EX Team Rocket Returns follow this pattern. For the first set of Voltorbs, the codes are:B1B, 0UU, 5LR and S31 for the RH. The TRR Voltorb codes are: K3X, SQG, 40P and 4TD for the RH on the following page.

Spoiler

Once again, the EX Emerald cards follow the same pattern, giving codes for the Voltorbs as follows: E39, QW1, 6XZ, and 5QX for the RH.

Spoiler

EX Delta Species is the last set in my English collection to contain different codes for each card. The Voltorb’s codes are: PNZ, TRG, 6JL and V7B for the RH. EX Legend Maker Voltorb and Electrode have beautiful artwork, in my opinion. The background for each card is very detailed and the set symbol is small and unobtrusive compared to the others. I have found that these two cards are consistently my favorite across each language.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Stormfront introduced the first every Shiny Voltorb, which I am very happy about! I personally think a blue Voltorb looks very cool, especially with that glow around it.

Spoiler

Voltorb and Electrode sure get included in a lot of the gimmick cards. They got a shiny, two variations of the Dark format, an EX, an SP and a Prime. I’m beginning to think someone in charge of the cards is a fan of the Ball Pokemon :stuck_out_tongue: Too bad neither Pokemon has gotten a promo…

Spoiler

Well, what do you know? Generation 5 gives Electrode both a promo and a Team Plasma gimmick in the same card! Also, X and Y started out right by introducing a Voltorb and Electrode card right away!

So, that concludes my English Voltorb and Electrode collection. The total is 107/107 for English, bringing my collection to 107/107! Of course, that total will change once I introduce the other languages. Up next will be Japanese, but I will probably not update with those for a while. I’m still trying to gather a few more cards to fill in some holes. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this! Let me know if you have any questions!

1 Like

If it was easy…everybody would do it;) GREAT job…

1 Like

I’ve always loved following the information you dig up in your pursuits. Super cool.

2 Likes

It took quite a while, but I am glad I compiled so much info on other languages. I am still working on my article, but I’m just really busy with school. This thread I started here was a few day process because I was interrupted by school so often haha

Take your time! We all understand busy. :blush:

1 Like

Hey Tony, do you consider this guy a voltorb card. :blush:

2 Likes

Haha, nope! I used to collect Holon’s Scientist and Pokemon Retriever because of the Voltorb on the card, but I’ve since decided they have no place in my collection. They just clutter it up haha

Only cards that have Voltorb or Electrode in the name! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Very nice collection, congrats!

1 Like

Hey everyone! I’m back with an update to my Voltorb collection. This time, I bring you my Japanese collection! I’ve spent far less time collection Japanese cards as opposed to English ones, mostly due to the later commitment to Japanese, but also because of the relative difficulty finding singles (especially Unlimited edition cards). As it stands, I am taking a break from Japanese, since my resources have run out, and I am instead focusing on other parts of my collection. With that in mind, I am always open to offers or trades if you have a card I am missing from this set, but I will not be actively searching for them for some time. I hope you enjoy these cards!

As a note, when cards are present in 1st edition and unlimited, the 1st edition cards are always listed first.

Japanese

First off, like usual, we have the Base set. What I like about this, is that the cards here are the very first to be printed. The latter of the Voltorb and Electrode in Base are the “No Rarity” cards, which have been gaining a lot of popularity recently. Thanks to Faiarrow, I was able to obtain the Electrode. The bottom right Lt. Surge’s Voltorb has no rarity and is the theme deck exclusive card.

Spoiler

Lt. Surge’s Voltorb and Electrode on this page are also theme deck exclusives and do not have a rarity symbol. The next 6 cards play a large role in my decision to expand to Japanese Voltorbs. When I was collecting exclusively English, I also decided I should have the unique to Japanese cards, which include the glossy Vending Series Voltorb (first one) and the 1st edition and Unlimited Web Series Voltorb and Electrode. The second Vending Series Voltorb is actually from the Quick Starter Gift Set, is not glossy and is lacking a rarity symbol. These are among my favorite Japanese cards due to the uniqueness of the cards. The last card is 1st edition from The Town on No Map.

Spoiler

I really like the E-series cards, but unfortunately, I am missing a few of them. The unlimited cards are to blame as they are exceedingly hard to find and, in fact, all the cards I am missing are unlimited edition. The ones missing here, in order, are Aquapolis 33 Voltorb, Aquapolis 34 Voltorb, Aquapolis 35 Electrode and Skyridge Voltorb.

Spoiler

With the Advanced generation, we once again have the individual ID numbers to worry about. This time, with Japanese, there are a total of 8 copies per card that I needed to collect. Four unique codes for each individual card, just like English, for both the unlimited and 1st edition version of the card. Unlike English, however, the RH is replaced by a regular non holo card and, more importantly, the codes are completely different than corresponding English cards. You’ll find that most of the codes are the same as English through the other languages that have them. For the Undone Seal Voltorb, the codes are C66, F3X, NB5, P0P for both the 1st edition cards and for the unlimited cards, continuing onto the next page. For whatever reason, seeing a whole page of this once card has made me grow to really like the artwork haha

Spoiler

The Flight of Legends Voltorb codes are J3X, STD, 0SG, 6PY for both the 1st edition cards and the unlimited cards continuing onto the next page.

Spoiler

I’ve gotta say, I can see why people like to collect the ex cards in Japanese. They just look so much better than English. For the Team Rocket Strikes Back Voltorb, the codes are ESG, DPY, 09D, 71K for both the 1st edition cards and the unlimited cards continuing on the next page.

Spoiler

The two cards missing from this page are Team Rocket Strikes Back Voltorb with the codes 09D and 71K. The Voltorb from the English equivalent of EX Emerald has only one code due to it and the Electrode being deck exclusive cards.

Spoiler

EX Legend Maker was printed before EX Delta Species in Japanese; the opposite order in English. Voltorb from either set has only one code, making them easier to collect. Holon’s Voltorb and Holon’s Electrode were, unsurprisingly, difficult to find in unlimited. Interestingly, the Legend Maker Voltorb and Electrode, both theme deck exclusive cards, were easy to find in unlimited, but difficult to find in 1st edition. I think that is the only time where I have had a harder time finding the 1st edition cards.

Spoiler

Spoiler

A couple of interesting cards are on this page. First is the shiny Voltorb which gets a unique foil treatment not seen in any of the other cards in my collection. I like that is unique, though I think it sort of looks cheap. Electrode G is printed as a foil promo rather than a set card, making this one unique as well. The one in the scan is sealed, but I do have an unsealed one elsewhere. The Legend series introduced reverse foil cards in the main set, which was a nightmare for collecting. The unlimited cards were hard enough to get, but now I have to find unlimited reverse foil cards too… The two missing cards are unlimited Dialga Half Deck Electrode and unlimited Clash at the Summit Voltorb reverse holo.

Spoiler

The two cards I am missing are reverse holo unlimited Clash at the Summit Electrode and Electrode Prime. The Voltorb in the bottom right corner and Electrode on the following page are deck exclusives and don’t have 1st edition.

Spoiler

The second Promo Electrode card is the February 2013 Gym Challenge promo. I was surprised to find out that it is not holographic like the English version. I actually found out when I got it in the mail. XY just came out in Japanese, so I probably won’t see the unlimited Voltorb or Electrode for a while.

Spoiler

So, that’s it for my Japanese Voltorbs and Electrodes! My Japanese collection sits at 97/109 and my total collection is 204/216.

The next update will be either German, French or Italian so stay tuned! If you have any questions, please ask! And of course, if you have any of the cards I’m missing, please let me know!

Great additions! I love the no-rarity cards. Glad they are finally getting the recognition they deserve :blush:

1 Like

Yeah, thanks to the recognition the no rarity cards are getting, I was able to scoop up an Electrode! They are coming out of the woodwork haha

I agree. Too bad the unlimited version is hiding from me haha

awesome additions loved viewing them

1 Like

Thanks Vodka! I look forward to seeing your cards too!

I just noticed I have some Korean voltorb no idea what set it’s from lol

Probably not Base set haha.
I’m guessing they are either Series 10 or BW8