The visual perspective on Moonbreon bothers me

The image is meant to depict a Gigantamaxed Umbreon having climbed a tower to playfully paw at the moon like a ball. I think we all get this.

But this perspective is not possible. The moon is virtually the same distance away, in the same direction, for both the viewer and the giant Umbreon. Umbreon is actually turned perpendicular to the moon and pawing up at nothing. Umbreon should be facing the moon - but we are facing the moon, so we know Umbreon is not.

This keeps me up at night.

However, I suppose it is fitting for the “modern Charizard” to have a perspective issue the same way WotC Base Set Charizard buries its fire breath in the holographic background, producing another perspective issue that I have never gotten over.

22 Likes

Pokemon world is 2D problem solved.

6 Likes

Explain THIS:

32 Likes

Imakuni > ITO

Not up for debate

1 Like

Umbreon is reaching up at the moon because it knows the card is stonking to the moon :full_moon:

5 Likes

Untitled

I agree, this angle of Ultimate Gigantamax Eeveemoon is much more realistic.

19 Likes

Finally, a sensible alternative.

3 Likes

I can’t fully explain why but this leg and toes bother me too

12 Likes

Umbreon aint skippping calf day I know that :cold_face: :cold_face::cold_face:

6 Likes

Oh, you were talking about artistic perspective.

I almost had war flashbacks to a darker time…

6 Likes

I updated the thread title. :grin:

1 Like

I agree with this and I demand it be corrected by pokemon artists going forward. In fact, i demand that only realistic correct perspectives be submitted to a community judging panel to determine worthiness of stonking. Are we to believe that a person is floating midair to get this view? Down with these views that are taking place from the sky. Vaporeon Vmax is another that is completely wrong, a person would have to have a significant amount of gear to be able to get that view and it likely would be obstructed by exhaletion bubbles and the gear itself, this card is literally unviewable. Dont even get me started on some of these fanciful ideas of views from space (looking at you Jirachi).

Artists should realize what is possible and limit their artisitc scopes so us, the consumer, is not confused by what is or isnt real. Pokemon should be more strict with their criteria for this so that the look of the Pokemon wont suffer from these transgressions.

2 Likes

Moonbreon slander will not be tolerated.
You have been warned

3 Likes

This thread would be considered sacrilegious by that one member who worshipped moonbreon a few months back. Wish I didn’t forget his name.

His name was ********** and we all underwent a special procedure to collectively block out those memories.

11 Likes

I actually never noticed Umbreon was supposed to be pawing at the moon, probably for the exact reason you described - the perspective is weird. I thought it was just posing like that.

I think the perspective was intentional on the artist’s part though, not a mistake. See how in the distance the clouds are parallel with the horizon, but the closer ones curve dramatically - I think it’s supposed to be a wide-angle lens effect, so the moon is actually overhead, not next to Umbreon. You can see the same effect in the photo I attached.

The art looks like two pictures merged together - wide-angle for the sky, and a normal lens for the city. An artistic liberty they took to make the “pawing at moon” idea work. Kind of cool.

2 Likes

This is a fair defense, even if I still think it doesn’t read correctly.

1 Like

I wonder how many shingles Umbreon broke in the process of trying to climb up the building. What an inconsiderate mfer.

6 Likes

I have definitely had the same thoughts on the perspective of this card too. I haven’t really been bothered by it though. I don’t even own the card so I don’t have to worry about the reminder every time I open my binder…yet.

1 Like

It’s a shitty card so who really cares? If it were good artwork then contemplation would be warranted.

8 Likes