The Topps Formula 1 Collectors Thread

As a big Formula 1 fan I was quite surprised when I stumbled upon the release of Topps Formula 1 cards. With the increasing popularity of Formula 1, a lot thanks to the hit Netflix series “Drive to Survive”, these releases have been swept away on release.

CARD SET INFO:

Sets released

• 2020 Topps Now Formula 1 Racing (print-to-order online-exclusive)
  • 2020 Topps Dynasty Formula 1 Racing
  • 2020 Topps Chrome Formula 1 Racing
  • 2020 Topps Chrome Sapphire Edition Formula 1 Racing
  • 2021 Topps Now Formula 1 Racing (ongoing, print-to-order online exclusive)

2020 Topps Now Formula 1 Racing
Release date: 2020
Number of cards: 25
Product Configuration: Each card is available for one week before it is retired from production.
Final amount is announced by Topps following the end of the selling timeframe.

2020 Topps Formula 1 Dynasty
Release date: February 19, 2021
Number of cards: 224
Product Configuration: 1 card per pack, 1 pack per box, 5 boxes per case

2020 Topps Chrome Formula 1 Racing
Release date: April 23, 2021
Number of cards: 312
Product Configuration:4 cards per pack, 18 packs per box, 12 boxes per case

2020 Topps Chrome Sapphire Edition Formula 1 Racing
Release date: May 5, 2021
Number of cards: 210
Product Configuration: 4 cards per pack, 8 packs per box

2021 Topps Now Formula 1 Racing
Release date: 2021
Number of cards: Unknown, ongoing
Product Configuration: Each card is available for one week before it is retired from production.
Final amount is announced by Topps following the end of the selling timeframe.

Sets to be released

• 2021 Topps Dynasty Formula 1 Racing (to be released October, 2021)
  • 2021 Topps Chrome Formula 1 Racing (to be released October, 2021)
  • 2021 Topps Formula 1 Racing (to be released December, 2021)

2021 Topps Dynasty Formula 1 Racing
Release date (subject to change): October, 2021
Number of cards: Not yet released
Product Configuration: 1 card per pack, 1 pack per box, 5 boxes per case

2021 Topps Chrome Formula 1 Racing
Release date (subject to change): October, 2021
Number of cards: 200
Product Configuration: 18 packs per box. 4 cards per pack

2021 Topps Formula 1 Racing
Release date (subject to change): December, 2021
Number of cards: Not yet released
Product Configuration: 8 cards per pack, 18 packs per box, 12 boxes per case

4 Likes

I would love to collect them and as a life long Formula 1 fan I’m super happy that this is a thing! I was always wondering and hoping for F1 cards as so many other sports have cards.

However I haven’t seen any available here in Finland. I’ve been wondering if I should get some singles on eBay. Not sure yet.

5 Likes

I think first flagship release, they did Topps Dynasty before and also Topps Now. I’m a big fan of the Dynasty cards, not so much the Topps Chrome for the prices they go for.

I’m waiting and seeing on them, everything sports cards is hot right now. I’d love to add some but not a must have for me.

2 Likes

I’ve updated/corrected the first post.

In the US, the only available ones are the Topps Chrome, Sapphire, and Dynasty.

I’ve been collecting the Chrome portion with about 6 boxes in, and the cards are absolutely phenomenal.
I’ve managed to pulled a Base and Refractor Lewis Hamilton, with some other goodies from my 6 box break. (Will post pictures another time)
Be prepared to scream when you pull auto’s cause its about 1 in every 2 boxes.
There are printing plates included in the packs as well so BE CAREFUL WITH TOUCHING.
NEVER TOUCH THE SURFACE OF A PRINTING PLATE OR YOU WILL HAVE PERMANENT FINGER PRINTS ON IT

The Chrome and Sapphire cards are VERY prone to scratches.
Also, I’ve been noticing some low quality controls on some of the cards as well. Some cards that I have pulled, have deflated air bubbles under the chrome. Other times I’ve seen; off center, printing miss (Cert # is printed elsewhere on the card), and texture errors.

My understanding is that the cards are produced in Italy. (I thought the Italians were meticulous with their craft)
Maybe its the first time that the production facility has started to make chrome cards, idk.

I honestly prefer the Chrome OVER the Sapphire, just because the prices per card is almost similar.
A pack of Chrome costs $35, while a pack of Sapphire costs somewhere close to $65. (At my local card shop)
My card shop is pretty up to date on the prices of packs/ boxes so they price accordingly to the market.
My understanding is Dynasty fell from $3k to $2.5k a box in the past two weeks. (Back when they were released, they were like $500 a box)
I want to collect Dynasty but its too much atm. Maybe the 2021 release, I’ll try to snag a few.

@xzini, if you are looking for a specific driver or team, you’re much better off buying individual cards. Some auctions online are going for $0.99 or very cheap. The market is relatively new so prices fluctuate on Mid-teir cards ($30 to $60 cards). High end cards like Red/ Orange/ Gold/ are dumb expensive (especially the popular drivers).

Rookie cards, like in any other sport are very popular. Lando Norris and George Russell are up there, unfortunately Alex Albon isn’t as much (probs because Red Bull dropped him like a sack of potatoes from the 13th floor).

With the current World Championship contender being so close, Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton cards are HOT :sunglasses: .
I just sold a Gold refractor Base Max Verstappen for $1k.

Overall, as a F1 fan its nice to see the release of these cards.
However, it’s not so nice to see the prices on some of the individual cards (if you’re buying).

2 Likes

Great post and insight! A lot have happened, since the last post here, in Formula 1. Alex Albon, for one, is coming back to Formula 1 next year. I super excited for that! I’m glad I picked up an Alex Albon Chrome Orange refractor auto.

As you mentioned some cards (Hamilton, Russel and Verstappen) have insane asking prices on eBay. With another season of Drive to Survive coming out next year I think Formula 1 will only become more popular going forwards. And more and more people will discover the F1 cards.

I’m based in Norway and I can say that Formula 1 is getting more and more popular at the moment. With more and more coverage in the online newspapers. I’m think Formula 1 is most known in Europe, but with Formula 1 making a 10-year deal to race in the USA and Miami I belive the market in the US is up for grabs.

Thanks for reading.

I would love to get into Formula 1 card collecting, but I must say the prices of the cards are already very high (a bit too high for me to dive in). I think I will eventually start buying up some of my favorite drivers whenever more sets are released. I have yet to see any Formula 1 boxes or anything in person yet. I’m hoping that within a few years, the production of Formula 1 cards will increase with Formula 1’s explosive demand.

1 Like