EBay Pokemon Card Patterns

Much of the focus is on T17, Lugia, PSA9 cards sky rocketing. Wanted to hear if others have seen patterns in any other sets or specific cards that are not being mentioned?

Personally, this crazy jump in cost is exciting to watch. Just curious :grin:

1 Like

Stormfront charizard , all 7 or so psa 9’s on ebay bought out within the last 2 weeks. all psa 8’s under 100 (including shipping) bought. Beautiful art, low pull rate, my favorite charizard card, favorite era, a super sick idea with the re-imagination of the original base set art done by the same artist, so even if it is from DP I still think it’s underrated af.

Also pokerev the professional vintage box breaker recently hyped tf out of it.

3 Likes

Honestly, more or less any Pokemon auction I have watched lately has done very well. Right now there is a PSA7 1st edition Espeon that already is above 100 dollar. I have a feeling it is gonna hit some crazy number too, considering it is only a PSA7.

1 Like

PSA 9 Gold Star Rayquaza has doubled in price. PSA 10 1st Edition Neo Discovery Espeon has sextupled. There hasn’t been a Scizor in a while but I’m assuming it will end up going for just under what the Espeon’s worth.

3 Likes

Probably from those $1,200 stimulus checks hitting everyone’s bank account now…

7 Likes

There is a lot of movement on ungraded cards as well, such as unlimited wotc. Umbreon from Neo Discovery, raw,NM-Mint went from $35-40 ish to 70-80. Same applies to most of the Neo revelations chase cards such as the legendary dogs and the shinings.

4 Likes

Agreed. It seems the big growth purchases are within the $1200 limit. In there defense, it may not be the smartest bet to spend your cash but if they can finally afford the card they want, I am stoked for them.

1 Like

They could have done worst with the money honestly. If you are buying PSA cards and end up getting in a bind later on then you can always sell the card and get most of your money back or even profit. You can’t say the same thing about buying shoes, clothes etc.

1 Like

I’ve seen increased prices and demand on PSA 9 1st edition wotc cards across the board.

From my experience, it seems undervalued parts of the market experience sharp corrections and then remain stagnant for a longer period of time afterwards. Back in 2017, 1st edition base PSA 9 holos were experiencing high demand and new record sales. Since then, they’ve been fairly stagnant. I expect the new prices to remain for the future, but growth will slow down soon.

8 Likes

I think people have been sleeping on PSA cards from WOTC to ex series. WOTC are so hard to find in mint condition and the prices of the boxes far exceeds the prices of most singles. I think they will climb. PSA 10s are drying up and also price wise out of the reach of many people. Hopefully this means PSA 9 values will rise. I’m not sure how much of the unemployment insurance and stimulus check are aiding into this buy.

I’ve been picking up WOTC sets for cheap and saving the Mint to gem mint looking ones. By the time they get back from PSA 6-12 months + COVID time to reopen, the prices will jump up.

2 Likes

I buy mostly raw cards in light played to near mint. Last night I decided to check all my cards I previously bought and every single one has doubled or tripled with a few exceptions. Others are no longer very available. And this is mostly 1st edition wotc cards im talking about

4 Likes

I have a feeling that WOTC cards will start becoming like Alpha/B/U and other early MTG sets. I stay far away from 1st edition base and shadowless so forgive me if they already are scarce.

That’s aweome that those cards have increased in price. As much as I would like prices to be lower so I could scoop them up, I just want things to settle down. What do you think about the interest and demand on the hobby after COVID goes away & people are busy working?

1 Like

I’m not a expert I just go off what I see and my own personal opinions. What I’ve noticed is more and more people continue to join the hobby. Even overprinted sets there is only so many cards available. I think all the Neo sets have huge room for growth. Also other eras like ex era and diamond and pearl should start to go up fast soon. I know the big crave is PSa 10’s and 9’s but even 8’s 7’s and ungraded good condition cards are going up fast. Which everything is connected by a chain. So if raw cards go up so do PSa graded cards and so does pack price and booster box price etc. I know people get mad about prices going up. But my 15k collection instantly is already worth 20-22k plus over the course of a few months. I’ll still never sell but knowing what I have is now worth much more makes me feel good about myself and that I made smart purchases :-). I know it’s not going to continue to double but everything will continue to go up. What will also help is the more people that buy and keep cards off the market the better. Less availability the more the price goes up. So anyone buying wotc holo’s and not instantly flipping is helping the market :-). Even if you do flip cards if you charge more than what you paid it should also bring prices up. And Box breaks are also decreasing the supply which is also great. Again all my own personal opinions but I like to think I’m pretty smart and pick up on trends fast :slight_smile: good luck everybody and take care

2 Likes

At least in the past couple of months that’s been the case, i’ve followed several auctions on lower price cards and all of them get sold. As you say it seems there’s more room for lower scores of cards (5-7). People buying not worrying that much about the state of the card as long as it is around LP.

Literally i’ve been having trouble getting some cards at decent prices, some offers that had ridiculous prices for months (about 200% of the original price) are finally being noticed.

1 Like

I don’t think COVID had much influence on the hobby so far, so in the best case things will simply continue as they are right now.
Rather, I think the real reason why we see such an upwards trend is because more and more people realize that Pokemon cards are becoming a serious hobby. They realize that Pokemon is the highest-grossing media franchise in the world, and if any new collector’s branch has the potential to still be relevant in 100 years, it’s Pokemon. So everyone wants a piece of the cake, and the best time to buy was and always will be yesterday, hence the huge market activity. It’s sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy: People see the huge potential of the hobby, invest now out of fear that prices will climb even higher and faster, and by doing so they promote exactly the thing they fear.

2 Likes

There is plenty of somewhat budget collectors like myself. I have tons of cards but if I went for all 10s I might have only completed one or two sets which I rather have more cards. The difference is instead of each card going up by hundreds they did modest doubles and tripled from $50 cards to $150 or $30 card to $90 etc. You know what they say. “You don’t have to hit a home run every time at bat. Singles and doubles help the team as well”