Has anyone noticed an increase in demand?

Hi all

I’m a small seller with 300ish listings on ebay in Australia to fund my private collection and in the last 3 days I’ve seen my sales jump from averaging 2-3 sales a day to roughly 40 in the past 3 days with mostly different buyers. (Things ranging from wotc holos/booster packs to $1000 psa 10 set cards)

Just wondering if anyone has noticed an increase In demand

2 Likes

Not a 10 to 20x difference like you lol.

It’s strange seems to of slowed today, yet I’ve still sold 6 things. I’ll continue to monitor moving forward. Might of been the perfect storm with my listings being in the right place. Think ebay takes a few days to update impressions and click through rates

Maybe this has something to do with it?

8 Likes

Yeah possibly @zap2, only 2 purchases from international buyers so far but would definitely make Australian buyers shop locally on Australian eBay.

1 Like

1st Ed WOTC holos have had a recent hot streak that might attribute to recent activity, I personally have bought a lot more than I usually do in this last month or so from Aus sellers just with the AUD being so weak against the USD

2 Likes

Might be anecdotal but in recent weeks and months I’ve noticed many more already-popular Youtubers start to delve into Pokemon too. Might be having an effect.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed an increase in interests as they send offers or ask to bundle. I originally attributed it to PSA shutting down its doors for the time being.

Demand has been quite high, high end items have been getting bought up for buy it now price when best offer is available, auctions have been ending at strong prices as well, Pokemon currently seems immune to the current state of the worlds economy

1 Like

“Currently” and “seems” are the operative words here.

We will most certainly see a fall off but in no way relative to other investments like stocks. Plus, though less dramatic, Pokemon’s recovery will be quicker;) We are all very lucky to be vested in this particular hobby.

3 Likes

I keep an eye on base Charizard regularly and they’ve been rising even still over the last 2-3 weeks. I expected a drop off with recent circumstances due to people losing jobs as well as others taking precautions and only buying essentials. However, I think what we are seeing is the result of hundreds of thousands more people cooped up at home browsing listings and that’s offsetting the reduced buying power of some folks.

4 Likes

Of course, personally am very surprised that it is holding strong so far though!

1 Like

Can I ask for your reasoning for this? Why it won’t be impacted as much and why it will recover faster. I have been surprised at how unstoppable the pokemon market has seemed for the past few years. So some insight would be nice.

2007 US FC
Late 1990s financial crises across Asia.
Early 1980s recession
Energy crises and health scare while I was in college

One thing these all had in common. I was collecting and the pattern I stated above occurred. Go back to the Great Depression. Entertainment and sports boomed.
When times are tough, the things closest to our heart get magnified. That, and we need to be entertained more than at any other time in our life.

Now, my degrees weren’t in finance so I can only speak from experience and it tells me things aren’t as bad as they could be…financially. Just don’t panic sell.

6 Likes

@garyis2000, Thanks for the message, it’s nice to hear a view of someone who has been around for a few of these while also being in the hobby. I’m only 26 so if a recession breaks out it will be my first one as a completely independent adult.

Anyone notice a decrease in demand?

This quarter has been a lot of activity for me as well.

Sure and thanks for asking:)

1 Like

I do experience an increasing amount of low-ballers, who justify their low offers by stating that prices have dropped/ will drop significantly due to the Coronavirus

6 Likes

You should respond to them by saying “Go find a seller who owns this item and has a desperate need for immediate cash.”

3 Likes