The Term Underrated In The Hobby

I use underrated to refer to cards which greatly underperform when compared to similar cards. Likewise I use overrated to refer to cards which greatly outperform similar cards. I guess I should add that by “perform” I don’t necessarily mean in terms of monetary value, I also mean overall attention and discussion focussed around whatever card it may be.

Here are a two examples (remember that this is my opinion):

• The Chosen Entry Prize cards from the 2010 Design Contest were supposed to have a distribution of 660 unlike the design contest winning cards themselves which had a distribution of 100. Despite this, significantly fewer of those have appeared for sale over the years. I believe this to be because the majority of the copies of the winning cards we see in circulation today are extra copies which left the print room, and this is something which likely didn’t happen with the Chosen Entry cards (I believe the same can be said for the 2009 Design Contest winning cards as well, albeit in much lower quantities). It actually wouldn’t surprise me if fewer Chosen Entry cards exist than Design Contest winning cards themselves. Despite this, nobody ever mentions these Chosen Entry cards when discussing the 2010 Design Contest, making those very much underrated diamonds in the rough.
  • If roughly one in 3 Neo Genesis packs contain a holofoil and we believe the 700 million print run assumption from this thread, then assume on top of that a mere 1% of the cards printed were 1st Edition-stamped, Lugia in PSA 10 at $129,000 is overrated when calculating that over 120,000 of them were printed and fewer than 1% of those have been graded.
3 Likes