The Impact of Online Discussions on Card Prices

Will casual online discussion of a particular card cause it to rise in price?

Rarely, but how casual are you meaning? For example, this forums discussion doesnt move the needle too much on most cards, not even with the amazing favourite card by species polls. But a card posted to reddit that has a popular post has caused small ripples in pricing from what Ive seen. It could be buyouts at a specific price level or causing values to raise 10%, but it was happening whenever an older visually appealing card gets some discussion time. It happens less now from reddit as there is more focus on modern sets than older collections.

Hmmm, I feel like I didnt hit the correct the format for this kind of question. Maybe this question is one without a clear objective answer.

3 Likes

Probably as close to an objective answer as you can get.

Casual = Non-professional, without any legal obligations. For example, a broker/trader giving financial advice to his client is non-casual.

So the medium plays a part… Hmmm.

Yeah it turns out the larger the audience, the bigger the influence.

Similar, although not very casual, but Pokerev’s Lost Origin stream contributed to lots of Timmys buying the Aerodactyl V alt art which temporarily boosted its price to crazy levels rivaling the Giratina V at the time. It had a moment and is now back to fairly reasonable levels and is still declining.

3 Likes

I’m glad this was shared. Pokerev is the largest poketubber, and even his influence was temporary. I think people look for a boogeyman but in reality the market is larger than even the largest individual.

8 Likes

Goes to show whatever hyping is futile, the truth will speak itself and real price will prevail.

Yup “millions of fans worldwide” is no understatement.

The bigger the reach the more sway most people have card price speculation. Its like how can see any big hype card slapped on 90% of YTuber thumbnails lol

Only people with herd mentality will be swayed and manipulated. Not me. I collect what I like.

I think more impactful than any one specific post or video is more discussion or a certain narrative in general… for example, multiple people posting the same card or types of cards on reddit, instagram, youtube, etc. over a period of time. Whether this is the cause of increased demand for a card(s), or a reflection of those cards already having risen in popularity, I guess you could say is a “what came first, the chicken or the egg” type of situation?

Honestly, I don’t think it has much of an impact. People that buy Pokemon cards tend to be pretty aware of what is going on in the market or with that particular card from what I’ve seen. We all have access to the same type of data, influencers, forums and other discussions pretty much at any given time.

News moves very quickly now with social media and everything else and so unless there’s a much broader discussion taking place or with a very significant outside influence (i.e. Logan Paul 2020/2021), I’d say these types of small discussions happening on here or another isolated spot have basically no impact on card prices.