Is it just me or Are card prices going up? What sets are you working on? Stop buying so many cards ya'll, save some for me

Hey guys,

I’m pretty newly back into the hobby and it’s interesting how some of these prices of the cards seem to be on the expensive side, even during the economic times, fluctuating as I hover my mouse around the cards. I was under the impression that the card market was tanking heavily this month and seem to have settled, thought I’d buy a few cards.

As I am shopping around ebay, I am noticing something very odd, it seems I have to pay over last sold market prices as the listings are getting more expensive. As I am shopping around, the cards I wanted are becoming more and more expensive as I pass them up.

So who is doing this? Why is it when I come back to collecting again, you guys are messing around and jacking up card prices? It can not be that everyone just happens to be shopping around for cards at the same time I do, and the prices of cards goes up significantly rather then download spiral I was noting, as of recent historical data. (If the trend for the month(s)/economy is to lower the card prices, and I am here to absorb the cards, it does not mean for everyone else to start buying the cards either. How are the prices going upward, just slightly enough for me to think twice about if I’m getting suckered in or not? )

By this time of the economy, a majority of you should have bled dry of funds already. I don’t know who closed my last thread, but who is buying all the pokemon cards? Do you have no quench to your thirst? It’s sickening, I’m just trying to complete a set at a time and I’m so behind. If the next 3 months rises unfathomably like my re-entry at beginning of 2020 when everything goes up 2x the next week of max solds, I’m going to be extremely upset at the inconsideration you guys are having to the majority of collectors that are struggling to buy the next card. It would be nice to calm down and keep the prices of cards low. Especially the English cards.

Just go buy the cheap japanese cards guys. And those aren’t that cheap either. Apparently I’m suppose to buy these cards, barely even or not even released for 10-15x the price they are getting it for. Okay guys. I’ll buy a few, wtf. Tough economy, right? What the hell. Take my money. While the world is on fire. I appreciate it very much, as a collector. Have a good day guys,

But please share what sets you are working on, what psa, english or japanese fulfillment. Thanks, hope everyone having a nice summer.

4 Likes

6 Likes

5 Likes

Usually most recent threads you make get locked lol, I wonder how many days until that happens with this one. Good luck :wink:

2 Likes

I have noticed an uptick in most cards compared to last year. There was a continual fallout in 2022 in many cards, especially vintage WOTC and other things that ballooned during 2020/2021. Seemed to go the way of crypto and everything else that got massively inflated in a very short amount of time and inevitably had to drop at some point or another.

I managed to get some deals last year that I haven’t seen pop up this year at all. I’m talking mainly in vintage WOTC but also S&M and XY era Japanese cards before they blew up in price this year quite a lot. I kind of wish I bought more in 2022 than I did, but I only had so much to work with and I was trying to be patient as well. At the same time, I was also putting money into stocks/crypto during the bigger drops that happened.

I burned myself out of collecting WOTC the past while and have mainly focused on a combination of vintage and modern Japanese singles. Everything from Pikachu & Masaki promos to vending series and VS cards. Some of my Japanese S&M and XY cards grew massively in valuation and so I don’t want to miss the lower prices on SWSH and S&V cards going forward and have been buying my favourite cards for now. I’m absolutely loving the 151 set regardless of the “investment” prospects, it’s just an awesome set that I want to collect to completion no matter what happens to it long-term.

Anyway, If the prices are bothering you now or making you hesitate to buy something, I would suggest just buying what you can afford for now and what you enjoy. You could also park money else where and buy Pokemon cards later. Lots of ways to approach this hobby and spend your money.

2 Likes

Hey there,

I totally feel you on the frustration with the rising card prices in the hobby right now. It can be disheartening to come back to collecting and find that the market isn’t as favorable as you expected, especially during these uncertain economic times. The fluctuations can be quite perplexing, and it’s natural to wonder who or what is driving these changes.

It’s understandable that you’re questioning why the prices seem to be going up just as you’re getting back into the hobby. It’s certainly not a pleasant feeling to see the cards you want becoming more and more expensive as you’re browsing through eBay. It almost seems like everyone else is rushing to buy the same cards you’re interested in, and that’s driving the prices even higher.

But let’s not jump to conclusions just yet. While it’s true that there might be some speculators or investors in the market, it’s essential to remember that the demand for certain cards can also increase naturally as the hobby gains popularity. As more people get into collecting, it creates a ripple effect on the market, and prices can experience upward pressure.

Of course, it’s frustrating when you have a limited budget and are trying to complete a set. It’s not fair when prices rise so dramatically, making it harder for the majority of collectors to obtain the cards they love. It’s a sentiment shared by many in the community, especially during challenging economic times when funds might already be tight.

And you’re right; it would be great if everyone could consider keeping the prices reasonable, particularly for English cards. The trend for some collectors to opt for cheaper Japanese cards might be an attempt to find more affordable options, but as you mentioned, even those aren’t that cheap anymore.

It’s important to keep the spirit of collecting alive and not let excessive price hikes dampen the joy of the hobby. We all share a passion for Pokémon cards, and it’s disheartening when it feels like the prices are spiraling out of control.

Hopefully, as time goes on, the market will stabilize, and card prices will become more reasonable again. As collectors, we need to support each other, share information about sets and PSA grades, and encourage a friendly and inclusive community.

So, let’s hang in there, continue to be mindful of each other’s struggles, and focus on the enjoyment of collecting rather than solely on the financial aspect. And who knows, perhaps things will take a positive turn, and we’ll see a market that’s more considerate and accommodating to all collectors, regardless of their budgets.

Wishing you the best of luck in completing your sets, and I hope you have a wonderful summer enjoying this amazing hobby.

Take care and happy collecting!

5 Likes

I am collecting Ex Era and DP in Japanese. Either sourcing raw from Japan or buying PSA 9 graded.

What are you buying, @dblast? I don’t see much stuff released before 2010 shooting up in price.

2 Likes

Im chilling buying a bunch of different era and languages haha

most of the stuff i’ve been buying is either dropping or holding the same price. I dont see any raises (WOTC old School PSA10)

Edit: while most of the community is watching at modern i’ve been getting some insane deals on 1st edition wotc holos.

5 Likes

I’m collecting 1st Edition WOTC non-English & non-Japanese: mainly German, French, Dutch, etc. It’s the best entry point for affordable 1st Editions.

Didn’t you just make a nearly identical thread to this a few days ago that ended up getting locked?

14 Likes

4 Likes

Is this just a troll post

4 Likes

Here are 10 possible reasons Pokemon Cards are increasing in price:

1. Popularity and Nostalgia: The Pokemon franchise has a dedicated and passionate fan base that includes both old and new collectors. Nostalgia for the original cards and the continued popularity of the series can drive up demand.
  2. Limited Supply: Older Pokemon cards, especially those from the original base set, are limited in supply as they are no longer in print. Limited supply can increase their desirability and consequently their prices.
  3. Grading and Rarity: Cards that are professionally graded and deemed to be in excellent condition can command higher prices. Rare cards with unique artwork, misprints, or promotional releases are also sought after by collectors.
  4. Influencers and YouTubers: The rise of influencers and YouTubers showcasing their Pokemon card collections or openings has attracted more attention to the hobby, increasing interest and demand.
  5. Investment and Speculation: Some people view Pokemon cards as an alternative investment, anticipating that their value will increase over time. As more collectors and investors enter the market, demand rises.
  6. Events and Tournaments: Competitive Pokemon TCG tournaments and events can create demand for specific cards that are considered powerful or strategically important in the game.
  7. Media and Entertainment: Pokemon cards might gain popularity due to appearances in movies, TV shows, or other media, boosting their appeal among fans.
  8. Global Market Access: With the rise of e-commerce and online marketplaces, collectors from all around the world can access the same cards, increasing competition and prices.
  9. Limited-Time Releases: Manufacturers occasionally release limited-edition sets or promotional cards, driving collectors to acquire them quickly, sometimes at inflated prices.
  10. Art and Design: The artwork on Pokemon cards has always been one of their appealing features. Certain cards with stunning designs or unique illustrations can become highly desirable among collectors and art enthusiasts.

Remember, the prices of collectibles like Pokemon cards can be influenced by numerous factors, and the market can be unpredictable. Always research and exercise caution when buying or selling cards for investment purposes.

2 Likes

:fishing_pole_and_fish:

2 Likes

Since this thread has more chatGPT replies than serious posts, I will end it here.

@dblast There’s a psychological trick where the less you say the more impact it tends to have.

If you’re going to try to remake this post please just ask a single question or make a single point and you will probably get a better response.

11 Likes