The Grand Gyarados Collection

@gyarados416 , I’m sure we’ll be hyping it up for a while! And @rustedharmony , I’m sure you can empathize with your own excitement for more Eevees. XD

So some additions that I haven’t revealed yet. I’m starting to lose track of things to show since I’ve been building up a display case and finding some goodies I’ve never showcased before. So again, forgive me if they’re repeats.

First off we have this beat-up 1997 TOMY Chara Dash Pokemon Launcher. I have been avoiding getting anything too clunky but this was so unique and was in a lot with a few other things I needed so I couldn’t say no. They make them for Pikachu and Charizard as well as a few others, I believe:

Reminds me of some old school Kaiju design. XD

I shared this in The Most Recent Purchase Thread but also forgot to share it here. I’ve always had an aversion to stickers since most bore me and have overused stock art, but now I have a solid reason to collect them since I can put them all in this Decochara Seal Holder:

Which was perfect since I also recently got ahold of this sticker I’ve never seen before and still doing some light research on:

Now for some post cards and odds and ends!

Pokemon Center 20th Anniversary Shaymin Postcard:

And thanks originally to @nidokingdom for showing me some Banpresto postcards I wasn’t aware of, I worked with a seller known as “sinistermew” who broke up a lot they were trying to sell and added in some random goodies for me as well:

Adding this stamp set to my stamp collection (now how am I going to get all of these individually? XD):

But my major prize and goal were these 1999 Banpresto No.0142 Gyarados/Dragonite Postcards:

I had only seen their Holo version so I was THRILLED when they revealed they had the non-holo as well. The back is cool too since it showcases an old favorite - Mewtwo!

I love this as Gyarados and Dragonite have been popularly featured together for years and especially in the early era of Pokemon in the manga, anime, and non-TCG. They have direct ties with Lance but have also been featured in other Banpresto merchandise where they’re battling together or featured together. Some may also recall the Hanafuda set which also features them together (Gyarados/Dragonite in upper left):

Now on to some regular cards! A while back @fritz introduced me to a variant I wasn’t aware of for Base Gyarados. Italian Base Gyarados typically shows up as a Cosmo Holo but every once in a while you’ll find a more rare Star Foil Holo. I scrounge Base Gyarados for errors nearly every day and finally found a rough copy to add to my Unlimited variants (now if only I could get Korean…):

Speaking of variants. I showcased this recently in the Holo Shift Thread but didn’t update here. My deposit for two Eevee Heroes Boxes were returned due to an order not being able to be completed which left me in the dumps. However, that very same day, poke_rizz on IG, an error collector, showed me this Holo Shift, Ink Shift, Alignment Shift, Miscut Misty’s Gyarados and pointed me to the individual who had it.

Least to say, I’d never been so happy to lose the ability to get a Japanese box because I reached out to the owner, an individual named Mischa, and worked out a deal after some much intense back-and-forth video sharing and card comparison to confirm it’s authenticity. He had just recently gotten back into Pokemon and bought a few big lots where this was one of them. He almost threw it out thinking it was fake!

I have since dubbed it, “Mischa’s Gyarados”.

And the back is centered!

Here’s a closeup of the holo shift (and well… everything shift):

And a side-by-side comparison of my own copy:

I’ve got a lot more thoughts to share with a few more tidbits, but at the potential expense of exhausting myself and the reader, I’ll leave it here for now.

Cheers!

13 Likes