The Giant Professional Grading Thread

Glad I’m not alone then! Haha

A lot is left out there

1 Like

folks should check their inboxes. the first of my 4 July PSA $18 specials have completed QA2 and Grades are posted. They arrived on 7/19 so that is a 2-month turnaround. Pretty unbelievable (and might not be typical).

3 Likes

Did you mean 2 month or they took a month to enter these? My $18 special arrived 7/11 was entered 7/18 and hit qa1 last week. This is a 300+ card order so may explain why it’s a little behind yours

2 Likes

yep 2 months, apologies for the typo!

1 Like

Forget checking my inbox, I gotta check my bank account and make sure I’m prepped for charges I didn’t expect to hit until next year :melting_face: :face_with_spiral_eyes:

8 Likes

I’m curious (for all the BGS people in here) – how many black labels have you ever attained in your submissions? Was it usually on cards you expected, or did it feel random?

I know there’s a conspiracy theory that your first BGS submission is way more likely to get a Black Label. My first sub did, and yes I’m biased but it truly was the most perfect card I’ve ever seen, so I liked its chances.

I have another card I would love to get a Black Label on, but wonder if it would be worth it to game the RNG by sending it under my girlfriend’s name…

Yes I recognize that chasing black labels is more or less a fool’s errand, but I’m just curious in other people’s experiences.

1. But I pretty much only use bgs for black label chasing on modern. So it’s like, 3 out of 15 cards i’ve sent or something like that.

Wow that’s a better hit rate than I expected. I have the same MO in mind with chasing Black Labels.

Ive never tried to get a black label and i never have gotten one (or even a 10). I only submit vintage though. The more you grade the more youll realize how subjective it is and some of the premiums at the top levels are not connected to anything substantive

2 Likes

They were both blind submissions. One was 2 CHP Charizard V’s I pulled out of 2 cases. One hit the black label, other was a 10. And then the other 2 were japanese charizard v’s from the charizard vmax starter deck. I cracked 4 decks and just yeeted all 12 zards without looking

1. Super selective and spent hours per card out of a pretty big pool of candidates. Really only submitted about 70 cards to BGS, but those cards were all insanely strong picks.
1 Like

And I do like the subjectivity of it – it’s why I would never go for an AI grading system.

I recognize the gamble though, I guess I’m essentially asking for more information as if it’ll help me win what is essentially a random game (this is strictly about Gold 10’s vs. Black Label 10’s, I know I can’t send in a LP card and still expect a 10 of any kind).

Did the other 68 get Gold 10’s? Or were there any 9.5’s that surprised you?

Never submit expecting a BL or even a guarantee of a gold 10. 0.5 of a subgrade is just never going to be 100% consistent, and if you really thoroughly inspect any card under magnification, you’ll probably be able to find imperfections to justify that. And definitely don’t get into superstition like making a new ID for every submission lol.

1 Like

Some 10s and plenty of 9.5s and a few random 9s. I am sure I could have cracked all of them, re-submitted and had all different subs for each card. The two that were BLs weren’t even the strongest cards imo. It stopped me from submitting more really because:

A. I don’t have a lot of BGS cards in my collection

B. Not worth the time, money and risk for a random subgrade to keep me down from a 10 or a BL for something I use to recoup when I don’t really trust their subgrade consistency.

1 Like

Hi folks

I had a question about psa for anyone with experience.

With autograph authentication am i able to send say 5 cards to just be slabbed authentic and 5 others that i want the autograph graded together as the same order and have them return shipped together? I know the auto grading costs more just trying to see if i can pay shipping once being international.

I don’t believe you can. Each order needs to have the same type and service level of grading, so you wouldn’t be able to mix authentic-only cards and auto grade cards.

You can ship multiple different orders in the same package to PSA, but you’d need to pay separate return shipping for each one.

2 Likes

How long does it usually take to have the cert numbers entered into PSA’s database. I had a submission finish today and when I click on the cert number for every card it says it’s not found in the PSA database.

It should update when they ship it to you.

2 Likes