日本のマーケット部分 The Giant Japanese Market Thread

I have been suuuper curious if the Yakuza had any stake in collectibles, but I’m way out of my element on that particular topic.

5 Likes

Curious as to where the Yakuza knowledge has come from, or if it’s just skepticism at the moment?

2 Likes

The Yakuza have always seemed dark and mysterious to me, I’d assume Team Rocket and Team Rockets Returns would be their favorite sets. All the Dark Pokemon would probably mesh with their sketchy vibe. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Have you ever tried to get a good location kiosk in Japan? You going to pay up people. All those small shops and sidewalk vendors “PAY”. There are few pokemon shops/vendors in key locations in Akiba, They pay or connected somehow.

That is how it is in Japan.

If you know , you know.

2 Likes

lol you cant be serious, surely?

2 Likes

If you don’t know you don’t know apparently :rofl:

5 Likes

Pokemon cards and yakuza? LOL.

4 Likes

He said what I wanted to say and had said before, “I’m just riding the wave, not hypeing. I’m just one person.”.

Some key points from the video:

• Hype for Japanese cards in Japan is due to mainly top chase cards being used as lotteries’ prizes. Can I request they start to use English versions too? LOL :laughing:

• Stop blaming investors for rising prices of top chase cards. If you want to play the TCG, use the normal, common/uncommon/non-holo versions of the cards. “Nobody uses Poncho Pikachu in their playing deck!” LOL He nailed it with that sentence! :laughing:

3 Likes

Try setting up a side walk Pokemon shop in Shibuya, Akiba,etc … See what happens.

LOL we all be LOL

2 Likes

Pay to be “protected”? If a shop owner who doesn’t pay, his shop will experience “troubles”. Pretty much like the gangsters in Hongkong who collect “protection fees” from shops.

2 Likes

It was only a matter of time…

Those poor MJ Holding schmucks never saw it coming.

10 Likes

It is not about “Pokemon” cards, it is about the money… Pokemon cards are making money.

Next topic on Pokemon cards being sold directly to the USA market instead of retail at MSRP in Japan. Many privately owned convenient stores in Japan like 7-11 franchises are having a hard time surviving financially (hiring, hours, franchise policies, etc). So these convenience store owners (mom and pop) are selling POKEMON products directly(indirectly and bypassing the domestic market) to foreign buyers for 2-5x the msrp to make up for the financial loses due to polices the corporate offices have . (like disposal of expiring food,etc).

Maybe the english social media influencers will do a vid several months later on this topic. LOL. then you will eat it up as news.

3 Likes

moshimoshi / zork , try setting up in shibuya. Then if you have problems, come see me here on this thread. I can set up the meeting with the right people.

It will cost your more though. Being a wise azz cost money.

3 Likes

I’m guessing things must be getting quite expensive for you then :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Whoa whoa don’t lump me in with moshimoshi. I pay my tributes.

2 Likes

I’ll enjoy walking around Shibuya and Akihabara knowing that every bubble tea and second hand anime figure shop is actually under the thumb of the Yakuza.

10 Likes

actually quite comfortable for me in Japan. Lots of perks when you know the right people in Japan.

2 Likes

Before bubble tea or figure shops, make sure you don’t follow the maids into their places:

2 Likes

Well I for one would love to hear about all the amazing perks you enjoy for being so well connected to people who murder, steal, extort, and traffic vulnerable women and children in to the sex trade for a living.
Must be some cool stuff!

2 Likes

Well unfortunately the reality of Japan is that rather than Yakuza and youth gangs breaking tourists fingers for stepping on their turf, the issues facing places like Akihabara, Shinjuku and Ikebukuro are more to do with the social welfare of vulnerable people, and people who not able to assimilate into general society. Which is why the teenage anime girl craze is more than a bit uncomfortable for a lot of people.

Anyway, personally I have enjoyed the discussion about intergenerational Triad syndicates running the online gatcha scene in Japan and was previously oblivious to the racketeering antics of the Yazuka in the card shop real estate biz. We can learn something new every day! :joy:

3 Likes