The Giant English Market Thread

Modern has all the attention. It doesnt even stop at lp or raw cards or low tier. Vintage is dirt cheap compared to anything modern

6 Likes

Love self-admitted “It’s still too soon to make a definitive call” (but I’d rather cause FOMO anyway) tweets

No way there are no more reprints right?

1 Like

There’s always rumblings about what will and won’t happen, but no one truly knows. Unless one of their multiple ‘sources’ is TPCi, it’s speculation (as far as I’m aware, Pokemon doesn’t announce when sets go out of print anyway, nor if/when they ‘schedule’ them). This is likely a last minute pump before things do get reprinted lol. This is funny too because it’s actually completely opposite to the rumblings I’ve been hearing.

From my point of view, there’s more reasons to believe there will be more SwSh set reprints, than not. Pokemon has been acquiring more printing facilities over the past few years and with how wildly popular SwSh is, I just can’t really imagine them leaving all that money on the table. Anecdotally, over the past few days, pallets of Chilling Reign and Evolving Skies ETBs have been showing up at Costco in Ontario, Canada. Also, KetchumAllCollectibles touched on prospective SwSh reprints in this video 2023 Pokemon Market Predictions + Business Plan - YouTube and he makes some solid points.

Sorry to like drop all of this on you, I just wanted to info-dump everything I got! As previously mentioned, no one knows for sure, but this is why I personally think that more reprints are on the way (really hoping the same can be said for Japanese boxes </3)!

1 Like

It’s almost definitely this IMO. SWSH is a money machine, they wouldn’t just abandon it. Love the info, no need to apologize!

I hope the same for Japanese boxes as well – I know very little about how they operate at the end of eras.

1 Like

I can’t remember the video but I think it was Danny Phantump who mentioned reprints for a few of the later sets from SWSH era in late february

I feel like Danny is more trustworthy but tbh I’m a little out of the loop when it comes to most poketubers. For reference, though, this same account also tweeted this earlier this week:

Fast forward to today:

If I look at this stuff charitably, it’s just accounts with larger followings generating clicks based on information that they legitimately “heard” – at its worst it’s market manipulation. It irks me either way.

4 Likes

People love to make claims that have a good chance of coming true, just so they look like they know more than they do. If they’re wrong, who cares because everyone has forgotten about what this guy tweeted 3 months ago randomly. But if they’re right they can point at it and say ‘look I told you I know things you dont’.

2 Likes

I dislike these youtube rippers trying to create FOMO to benefit themselves.

2 Likes

The posers who predicted the last 12 market crashes have been right all 2 times. :smirk: :thinking:

1 Like

Is it just me or has it been an usual long time since Pokemon had new print runs of new sets? When I look at cardmarket or check my local LGS or Retail stores I have seen barely any restocks.
At least here in Europe we have had longest drought since 2021.
Is it the same in the US or is this just a European thing that BBs and and crown zenith are getting more scarce than usual?

Feels a little similar to end of 2020/early 2021 when Vivid Voltage came out and some of the waves were delayed. I dont think recent sets will jump up to $300 like VV did, but I am thinking there will be a similar massive release of product at once.

Kinda surprised with all the new printing facilities they have, there isnt a more continual flow of product. And if there wasant more product coming for a few months, I wonder why shops were dumping new sets for $83/BB in December when they all seem go for $120/$130 now.

Shops need cash flow. Sometimes they have to sell product at a low margin just to move it and clear space/get cash to buy the next release/restock.

Sure, I get that. I was just surprised since the next restock hasn’t really come around yet. But maybe distributors aren’t the most communicative.

Has anyone ever seen this before?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/trading-cards/pokemon-legends-original-game-cards-two-60-card-starter-deck-unlimited-base-set-fossil-set-legends-vip-club-2001-/a/312141-67141.s

3 Likes

Very cool, thank you! These old 3rd party bundles are always so interesting.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, i think those were all over the Wildwood, NJ boardwalk when I was a kid.

2 Likes

NJ boardwalks created my love for pokemon too, nothing like 90s boardwalks

Just came here to share a shower thought, doesn’t Hidden Fates already feel like a distant memory? I just looked up ETB prices on eBay expecting
 more. Not because I feel it’s worth more, just because relative to price scaling of other peripheral modern products it’s stalled, barely having broken £90. Which I find interesting for what some might consider to be a genre-defining expansion within S&M, and has been out of print since late 2021(?). I spose it’s another working example of how more recent modern releases have just blown everything else out of the water and have shifted attention accordingly. Still just puts a little smile on my face thinking about all that 2019 furore and now it’s just
 yeah, Hidden Fates, ok.

Personally I think that Shining Fates diluted the awesome feeling of the Shiny vault, and then right after that we started getting the insanity that was alt arts. Wouldn’t shock me if a lot of the more modern focused collectors aren’t so crazy about hidden fates any more

2 Likes