The Giant English Market Thread

interest has basically dried up on 20+ year old high grade WOTC holos

I haven’t noticed this at all. WotC prices have been remarkably stable over the past several months.

I do agree with you, though, re: the irrationality of the modern product market.

3 Likes

The biggest losing card class in the past year has been cards in damaged/played condition. I remember selling an unlimited Umbreon Neo Discovery holo that was bent in half for like $50 during the hype. People were really looking for deals since cards got so expensive, so paying 1/2 price for a damaged card was the route they took. Now there isn’t a buyer for that, as a nice copy is always available for just a tad more.

1 Like

I think itd be more accurate to say that the massive hype crowd is no longer tunneling WotC. Instead, theyve shifted focus to modern, which is annoying bc i kinda just wish theyd go throw their money at smth else, far away from pokemon

2 Likes

Have you heard of sneakers? Or maybe NFTs?

what’s your evidence of interest drying up for WOTC holos?

Those things are far enough away for me. I already stopped collecting sneakers a few years ago cause the rabid hypebeast culture sucked the fun out of everything. Got people lining up at stores days in advance for releases, botting and backdooring pairs, etc. And then when u finally get a pair, how are u supposed to feel okay about wearing them? Especially if u paid $$$ for them. Its that type of shit that ruins hobbies imo

1 Like

I agree but i wouldnt really consider the modern crowd in that same vein. A lot of them are just younger people collecting and having fun. In fact many scalpers are falling on their face with modern rn

3 Likes

Oh yea, definitely not there (thank god). I guess i just get that same shitty sinking feeling sometimes in pokemon and i really dont want that to take over this too, ykno?

Modern sort of has the lowest point of entry, and I think a lot of the younger people get involved with it more for that reason. They may not even have an attachment to WOTC cards necessarily or understand why some of them are priced where they are, so they don’t really go after them.

Personally, I still think a lot of WOTC cards are cheap relative to the price of the sealed product (same with many in the EX era). So I continue to collect a lot of vintage cards in this market and I’ve also become more interested in Japanese cards (modern & vintage) as I feel outside of E4 I don’t see them get talked about nearly as much as modern English and there are a lot of cool cards out there when you get looking around.

5 Likes

I dont collect modern English, only Japanese. So i cant really speak to English, but JP modern has been pretty crazy lately. I dont necessarily see a ton of people talking about it, but iykyk.
OKJluv has been consistently keeping up with the state of JP modern, id highly recommend checking out some of his videos!

Edit: i understand this doesnt make sense because i just realized im in the giant ENGLISH market thread. My bad :dizzy_face:

3 Likes

Hi all,

I have about 100 NM - Mint 1999-2000 red logo fossil cards. Mostly uncommon and uncommon (not ones from the theme deck) due to the rarity of these and the niche what would be my best route to take with these? They do not fit my collection and would prefer to move them on but I have no idea what to price them at.

Rares
Kabutops
Magneton
Dragonite

Pretty much a full set of uncommons and commons with a few duplicates.

Scared to just put up for auction as not a lot of people know about these cards

What would you do?

2 Likes

Sell all to @jac2357 because that is what he does

9 Likes

I just heard about black flame ninetales like 20 minutes ago. I remembered i had a couple base set ninetales from my childhood, so i cracked open the ol binder to take a looksy. Lo and behold; this is it, right? Anyone have any info on these cards?

2 Likes

Yep, that would be it. Personally, I’m not a big fan of this variant. The prices are all over the place, which probably reflects a very small, niche market.

Recent comps:
10/27 - CGC 5 - $24.50
10/17 - CGC 8.5 - $150
9/29 - Raw Shadowless - $35
9/29 - Raw Unlimited - $90
9/23 - Raw Unlimited - $80
9/17 - Raw Shadowless - $30
9/10 - Raw Unlimited - $20.50
8/31 - Raw Shadowless - $9.99
8/27 - PSA 5 Shadowless - $37.51
8/22 - Raw Unlimited - $99.99
8/22 - Raw Shadowless - $9.50
8/20 - Raw Unlimited - $100

Here’s a small article on it by CGC.
https://www.cgccards.com/news/article/8861/pokemon-ninetales-variant/

1 Like

Interesting, i thought all of the shadowless ones were supposed to also have the black flame? I literally just saw some like 3 minute video on it and have never heard of it before today so i rly have no idea lmao.

Do you know if the error was actually identified by CGC? Or has it been known for a while now? I honestly rly had to look to understand what the error even was, tho it was definitely easier to see in person. Its an interesting lil error, but not one that i would go out of my way to collect (im not much of an error collector anyway).

Thanks for the info, i appreciate your response!!

My understanding is that all 1st Edition and Shadowless Ninetales will have the “black flame.” Only a portion of the Unlimited print run will have it too. Sellers try to make more money by saying “Black Flame Error” in a 1st Edition or Shadowless listing. Clearly, it doesn’t work that well.

Also, CGC did not discover it. It was pretty well known before CGC began tagging the variant.

3 Likes

Theres rarely an auction for any of this. Just happens theres 2 live ones currently both from same seller. Im happy to try to buy feel free to message here or dm me.

Thanks for the heads up.

Unown VSTAR RR from Silver Tempest is shooting up in price after Pokerev’s latest stream

2 Likes

People are very impressionable, eh?

4 Likes