The Giant Banpresto Postcard Thread

Over the past year I’ve fallen well and truly in love with postcards, which is not something I thought I would have heard myself say this time last year. I still have my primary love of Japanese promotional items, however I’m sticking true to what I’ve always told other people - collect what you love instead of what’s valuable or what you ‘think’ you should be collecting or what other people say is a good thing to collect etc.

Well, with that in mind I’ve embarked upon creating a catalogue of the Banpresto postcards from the years 1998, 1999 and 2000. My spreadsheet currently has the following columns:

Number

Year

Holo?

Description

Thumbnail

Owned

Cost

The last two are only for my own information and to help me keep track.

It looks like this:

The number and year are visible on each postcard/picture I have on the catalogue just by expanding the image to be bigger in size (I didn’t want massive pictures cluttering up the catalogue, and I didn’t want the resolution to be so low that the writing on them wasn’t visible when expanded).

There are at least 217 numbered Banpresto postcards from these three years, and at least 17 secret unnumbered ones.

Of the 217 numbered ones there are about 40 ish that I do not even have a thumbnail of yet. I have not totally exhausted my internet searches for historic sales information about these (though I will do at some point), however I write this post now to ask if anyone has any of these postcards lurking anywhere in their collection that could help me fill in the gaps in my catalogue. They will look something like these ones, and may or may not be gold or holographic in colour:

The bottom right picture on the above is also related to this series of postcards I am trying to catalogue - these are paper thin (not on card stock that is as thick as a regular postcard) adverts/flyers that were used as exchange to a lottery for some of the postcard albums/folders/binders, as well as some of the rare postcards from within each sub-set. These advert/flyers are a great source of information on the postcards, so I am keen to see the remaining ones that I have not yet seen, specifically the text on the reverse.

Once the catalogue is complete I shall offer it up to anyone that wants a copy of it.

I have already obtained several photographs of the impressive collections of @hazard24 and @nidokingdom and I’m now calling out to everyone else in the community :blush:

So, in summary, please reply with high res (or at least good quality photos where the year and number is legible) photographs of any of the following Banpresto postcards you have:-

Numbers:

• any of the paper adverts/flyers
  • any other Banpresto postcard that does not have a number on the front of it.

Lastly, use this thread to discuss anything related to these postcards as well of course - it doesn’t only have to be in reply to my above request :grin:

Cheers!

16 Likes

This is something i really can’t wait to see being finished, would love to help if i had any of them but instead just lurking around eagerly waiting for the end results :grin:

2 Likes

www.mercari.com/jp/items/m20568278260/

Here the #130

3 Likes

@joponnes No worries, I know that these are pretty niche so I wasn’t expecting a massive flurry of replies - I know you’d help if you could :grin: fingers crossed I can have this completed soon so I can let you have a copy!

1 Like

@unlimited_spaghetti Amazing Gab, another one off the list! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Love this kind of collection. Banpresto is one of the OG’s of Pokemon merch and some of the postcard sets are beautiful. Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff and will share mine eventually!

2 Likes

Hello,

Thanks for tagging me !

I awaiting some new ones ! I’ll go through the list once I get them (hopefully next week !)

And that #130, I managed to snag it :sunglasses:

Have a nice evening !

1 Like

Hey,

Here are 3 I recently bought. I think they were won in lottery with 3000 distributed (to be confirmed…)
It says 1998 on the back.

2 Likes

Just wanted to post an update on these Banpresto numbered postcards!

Thanks to fellow postcard collector Dominic we now know that Banpresto continued making postcards into 2001, and that they went up to at least (but probably go slightly further than) number 239.

Here is the front of number 218:

Here is the reverse of number 218:

(sorry it’s a bit blurry, that’s my fault - rest assured however, it really does say 2001!)

And here is the front of number 239:

Until next time, the research and hunt continues…

3 Likes

Hey there, new to E4 - wondering ig you’re ever planning on making this spreadsheet public? been slowly procuring random posters which pop up locally and would love to see the list completed. Also theres currently a listing on ebay “pokemon post card lot of 300 charizard pikachu ash holo banpresto etc vintage” seems like there may be a fair few there that you’ve been looking for? @chopin,

1 Like

Hi guys. I started collecting these lately. I will have photos for 26,45,78,95,127,135,139,147,150,160,202 when I get them :blush:. Have you got photos for the un numbered ones? Really keen to see what they look like.

I’ve noticed I have two postcards that are numbered 194 and 195 with different artwork.

2 Likes

Is there a comprehensive list of all the postcards available anywhere??

1 Like

Thanks @flyingmudkip, I have also noticed this overlap myself (there’s more than just these two instances of this happening throughout the numbering) and I haven’t yet cracked the answer as to why. The research continues!

@chopin, I recently bought some of these postcards. Numbers 082 through 193 were included. I’ll go through them and picture or scan the ones you need that I have. May take a week or two.

1 Like

Oh goodness, really?! Where on earth did you find that many sequentials for sale? What a find. If you are able to that would be fantastic, thank you!

Yahoo is king.

Here is an album with the postcards you listed that I have. Hopefully it helps.

imgur.com/a/nGDnJAb

1 Like

Hey @chopin would it be possible to see the list?