The end of Photobucket; your photo's are unavailable!

On June 26th PhotoBucket announced a big change in their Terms.
Because of this linking to your photo’s on PhotoBucket became almost impossible; unless you pay.

This is the newly introduced payment plan.

Unless you get the 400$/year hosting service PhotoBucket is nothing more than a glorified space of hard disk located on a slow and hard to navigate website.

For 400$ a year you can rent a dedicated server, for 144$ you can get your own domain and webspace (unlimited traffic etc.) on GoDaddy.

If this is no option for you. An easy and good to use alternative is Imgur imgur.com/ or PostImage postimage.org
Both allow easy uploading within 3 clicks, easy to generate BB-code (the IMG tag) so you can share your photo’s on any message board.

DropBox, GoogleDrive, Microsoft’s OneDrive all good options for image storing and back-up. But do not allow linking.

My suggestion to all PhotoBucket users; download all the photo’s you have on there and transfer them to a new service.
What’s the point of having your photo’s online if you cannot link them from other websites?!

3 Likes

Being a long time Photobucket user, I got over 1000 photo’s on it in different albums each.

Thank god you don’t have to download your photos one by one.
Just go to the album you want to download and press ‘Download album’

The website will generate a .zip file for you and downloads all images as they were uploaded. No altering.

There is a place next to Myspace for you photobucket :blush:

9 Likes

They’re really out of their mind if they think people are going to pay those prices when there are free alternatives lol

1 Like

PhotoBucket is more than just a space to host your photos. They also offer (from what I’ve heard) a very good quality printing service. Maybe they shifting their core business to the more professional side of things, but they’ll scare away the regular user.

@acebren

I’m just little worried what’s next “free alternative” site that adds yearly fees to their service.

1 Like

That’s why I got a very cheap shared web hosting for € 1.95 a month. Allowing 25GB of storage and 150GB traffic. I never gonna reach that, ever. But it is so damn easy to be able to make zillions of re-directing email addresses and doing quick image uploads.

Not gonna sit and wait for the next site to ask me for their money for a once free service.

What a shame :slightly_frowning_face: ! I’ve had photobucket since the MySpace days.

My oldest photos on it are dating 2001. It’s indeed a shame, but time to move on

You are absolutely right. Save everything you have in there and take it somewhere else. I personally like using Imgur for the forum, haven’t had problems with it yet.

When Photobucket, sees massive dropoff, they’ll get cold feet.

I used to use photobucket for ages… but the last few years it has been full of tons of spam and shit… so much crap on that site. These days there is better alternatives.

But you are right, some of my old ebay templates aren’t showing the links and photos anymore.

I have so many memories on mine… and gosh, some rare photos… lol

1 Like

the worst thing about it is that plenty of pokemon card guides use photobucket images, which are now all blocked out.

when my whole charizard thing started I went to look up a guide on thin stamps vs thick stamps and the one I found had all of the images blocked by photobucket…

yeah, it sucks man.

I noticed it last week on one of Scott’s thread on Illustrators.

If you want to pm the threads you noticed I can reupload the images when I get return home. :blush:

1 Like

Don’t pay money to store pictures that is lunacy, imgur has virtually unlimited storage and it is free and will always be free.

2 Likes

Or Tumblr, lol.

Sorry to bump, but should we PM some people to update their Photobucket accounts (or use a different image-host service like imgur.com or postimages.org)? Especially some of the articles are really lacking without pictures…

Take the Ancient Mew article by @uniqueusername for example; or the Australian ©1999-2000 Fossil set article by @bluey. I’ve linked to these articles on multiple occasions, and with the pictures they’ve looked great. But now it’s just missing something essential…

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

There are plenty of extention’s in the chrome store that allows you to view old photo bucket photos and fixes the embedding issue.