The Buy Section Rules Have Changed

Very disappointing. I only come on here to read what other people say.
I make a buying thread every few weeks I follow the rules and everything.
Now I guess this is the end of me possibly using e4 and I am sure many others are in the same boat

Well if you already have a buy thread created I believe you are grandfathered in, just edit your post as your wants change. Most people creating buy threads I believe are contributing to discussions related to Pokemon or other random stuff, if not this will encourage them to participate in conversations.

5 Likes

Why not participate in the conversations?

8 Likes

Could we make it an unwritten rule that people donā€™t aggressively critique prices someone is offering when itā€™s none of their business?

12 Likes

I addressed this on page 1 of the thread. If you feel like threads are being derailed unnecessarily, please use the report post function and a moderator will check out the post.

I should have read it first. This ones been getting under my skin for a little while.

6 Likes

What if buyers made a new post each week? It wouldnā€™t be much more work for the buyer to just copy and paste everything into a new thread. Then to indicate that a card has been found, couldnā€™t the TC just edit the title to say something like ā€œ[Card Found]ā€? And does anybody really negotiate publicly anyway?

Frankly, I wouldnā€™t be opposed to having a rule that the only person who can post in a buy thread is the TC.

1 Like

Lol could that be anymore melodramatic? Not only are people who already had an existing buy thread grandfathered in, the threshold is 50 posts. There are new members who already have 50 posts in 1-2 weeks.

9 Likes

If your only contribution to the forum is WTB threads, then cya!

8 Likes

Nearly every forum Iā€™ve ever been on requires a post count before allowing sales/trades etc. 50 is not a lot lol

4 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

I know it is probably hard to implement and define but can a rule (or heavy encouragement) be added for buy thread to avoid offering below market value and/or very easy to find items that are pretty much available everywhere.

Very reasonable rules, glad to see them :blush:

1 Like

Than this doesnā€™t actually affect you. If you truly feel it does, make 42 more posts.

The thing about market value though is that itā€™s dynamic, Pokemon cards/boxes can retrace, likeliness depending on the card. Thatā€™s why a few of the ā€œwell, I for one donā€™t accept anything below xx for my copyā€ responses on WTB threads annoy me if people donā€™t ask for pricing feedback. For any time machine offers sure, those are redundant, but I think the other way around can be unproductive as well.

2 Likes

I feel this. If it is a common item, just use eBay. Thereā€™s no point in putting up a thread for something that is very readily and easily accessible. The only reason someone would do that, is if they are trying to snag that item for under market value, which is likely not going to happen here.

2 Likes

Hey guys a few times Iā€™ve wanted to make or edit my thread to say for example. Spending 2k on fossil cards or whatever set Iā€™m going for. And people with either one card from the set or whole lots could post what they have. Or do I always have to price each card? I usually never make buy threads but i buy a ton weekly. It seems like I have to over offer and only look for rare cards. For example Iā€™ve made like 3 or 4 buy threads and only had luck once finding my Shining Zard which Iā€™m thankful for but Iā€™d like more results if Iā€™m making them. Just a thought no biggie Iā€™m not picky and Iā€™m happy to be here :blush: @fourthstartcg Or Scott or anyone that has a answer for me :slight_smile: just trying to mutually help the community

Mr smpratte as officially cooked me.
Road to 50 posts

9 Likes

As long as you post a price youā€™re fine in terms of rule compliance, however buy threads which offer specific amounts for specific cards are leagues more successful. Take the time and price out the cards you need and the prices youā€™re offering.

Keep in mind that E4 is not a marketplace. The buy section here is designed to aid in finding cards, not be a primary search platform. Iā€™ve made buy threads for very available single ungraded cards and gotten nothing, and Iā€™ve made threads for cards with less than 50 copies in existence and found sellers in a day. Because of the caliber of collectors here, it is a different type of buying experience.

3 Likes

Something I noticed a lot of is someone will post they have a card the buyer is looking then a bunch of people will message the seller and outbid the buyer and the buyer never gets the card the seller was about to sell them. Itā€™s great for the sellers but sucks for the buyer. Iā€™ve lost quite a few purchases recently because of this. Ideally sellers would never post in the buy thread and directly PM the buyer to avoid thisā€¦ I would love to see thread responses locked so all deals have to be done completely privately.

3 Likes

ā€œI donā€™t want to participate in a free marketā€ is what youā€™re really trying to say here.

We arenā€™t going to do these outlandish things. If you want the card, offer more money than the other people who also want it. Isnā€™t this Economics 101?

7 Likes