ThatPikachuGuy's Non-TCG Pokémon Collection

Aside from set binders and Pikachu cards; I also collect Pokémon merchandise/promotional items/sealed toys/video games/other items - as well as Pikachu plush/figures and I wanted to start a thread to share some of it

I know this forum is majority card collectors and I will eventually create a thread to share my cards too; but I recently obtained one of my top 3 non-TCG grails so it felt like the right time to start this one!

This is a complete Wal-Mart store display for the VHS release of Pokémon: The First Movie

I have been hunting this for over 5 years and I am very thrilled to finally add it to my collection room! I only know of a couple others and not a single other that is as complete as mine filled with all of the tapes w/ original box + instruction sheet.

I found the top section of this display at a flea market way back in 2017, and since then I have been scouring for a complete one. The one I finally managed to find was brand new, never assembled, still in it’s orginal box - the previous owner had had it sitting in their garage since their dad had saved it from a Wal-Mart dumpster in 2000. Crazy to hear the stories that come along with some items.

Hopefully some of you enjoy hearing about the things I collect - thanks for visiting my thread!

21 Likes

Wow that movie display is unreal!! If you ever find another I’ll pay a finders fee. That is such a cool item! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I will certainly always be on the lookout for another one!

1 Like

This is incredible. We really need a museum of Pokemon promotional material and memorabilia from the 1990s and 2000s!

1 Like

I agree! It’s sad how few Pokémon promotional items seem to be preserved.

A permanent museum for Pokémon would be fantastic; I’d love to be involved in some kind of temporary exhibit though

3 Likes

This is such a cool piece! I’m surprised you could even find one essentially complete in box. I’m always amazed at what’s still stored, untouched, in people’s houses.

1 Like

Super cool piece. This seems like a very awesome find. Looking forward to more such pieces and more such stories. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

1 Like

i love that display so jealous. i got quite rare corocoro magazines regarding pokemon in great condition and other media and keep them in sealed zip bags since they cant be graded you should check out my thread. this is great display congrats

1 Like

Of course I’m already doing a bad job at working on my new collection thread :sweat_smile:

But I have another big update to add for now!

This is the Burger King Store Display for the 1999 Big Kids Meal Pokémon Toy promotion, which featured 57 different toys and the famous gold plated Pokémon cards.

It is near complete - unfortunately it is missing an acrylic box that would hold one of the Gold Card Pokéballs in the middle of the center round panel. Hopefully I can find one or get one fabricated to complete it

11 Likes

Wow this is nuts. Do you have a new VHS in each of the 56 boxes?

It has 60 used copies of the movie in it, but they are all in there! It would cost a fortune to fill it with new sealed copies

4 Likes

Looking to find out how much this is worth and you seem like the guy who may have a idea.

2 Likes

It’s kind of hard to price out individual pieces because there aren’t usually a lot of people looking for them because the full displays are extremely rare; but this particular piece looks pretty nice on it’s own.

The last time I saw this section sell was when I bought it; and it went in an auction along with the Pikachu, Squirtle, and Mewtwo panels for arpund $75.00. That one had a broken plastic dome though which is why it is not present on my display. In my opinion, I think that this single panel with the plastic intact - has a value of around $100 or a little more.

All that being said, if it is for sale I am very interested in it to complete mine.