tcgplayer sales tax

I’ve placed over a thousand individual orders from tcgplayer and I don’t think I’ve ever paid taxes. Today I noticed that I did. I’m in Utah. Anyone know if that is a new thing or if I just hadn’t noticed it before?

There’s a bunch of new tax laws rolling out throughout the United States regarding online marketplaces. I didn’t check for Utah but I’m pretty confident that’s what this is about. Don’t be surprised when you see it on Ebay too

1 Like

Man, I noticed that on Oct 2. Now it would be difficult for me to pick up high value item I needed.

Could try out the new pwcc vault. Oregon has no sales tax

1 Like

Sorry, I feel like this topic has been covered before but I guess I didn’t pay close attention to it because it didn’t have any impact on me until yesterday.

Assuming that from now on I’m paying sales tax on my purchases 1- Do I not have to pay taxes when purchasing things from the PWCC vault or from tcgplayer sellers located in states like Washington ( I did notice that there was a seller located in Washington and he was the only one who I wasn’t charged tax with). 2- Moreover, as a seller on ebay, will I also pay taxes on the final sale cost or is that only for the buyer to pay? 3- are there any reputable sellers on tcgplayer/ebay/ or from private websites (like a trollandtoad) that are based out of a non sales tax state? I don’t mean to knock everyone else down for living in the wrong state (and that would include myself), but maybe there are already sellers who I buy from who live in these great states.

It’s a tax based on the buyer’s location, not the seller. It’s the exact same situation as when you pay sales tax at a grocery store. The store collects the tax and remits it to the government. The difference is now it also applies to online marketplaces. So sellers are expected to collect tax and remit it to the buyer’s government. Since this is impossible for a small seller to do, Ebay now collects the taxes and does the dirty work for the seller.

Tldr: it doesn’t matter where you purchase from, it matters where you ship to

The pwcc vault is in Oregon which has no sales tax. So when you ship a card to the vault, a “resident of Oregon” is buying the card and your bill reflects the oregon 0% sales tax. I think this should basically answer all your questions