Paying Tax on Ebay

Hi all. I just bought two raw cards from two different people and was shocked that suddenly I had to pay sales tax on both items. One item was about 75 dollars and I had to pay 6 bucks extra and another was 120 bucks and I had to pay 10 bucks extra. I did NOT have to do this just a few days ago on May 30th.

No warning prior to buying the item either which would have made me think twice. Now my bigger concern is that if all the items I am selling are now taxed then that could make sales go down and make it harder to make a profit too.

I was under the impression that since I was in NY that my purchases were not taxed at this time. What effect will this have have the pokemon ebay community?

Link to ebay tax policy: www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/taxes-import-charges?id=4121

eBay is phasing in states. Soon all states will join and be taxed soon

2 Likes

I’m in Canada and have been paying a HST sales tax on every invoice for over a year now. Not sure if that’s how it’s always been but I actually just noticed I was paying the taxes a few months ago as a seller

www.google.com/amp/s/techcrunch.com/2018/06/21/states-will-be-able-to-charge-sales-tax-on-online-purchases-thanks-to-the-supreme-court/amp/

Long story short, our government is missing out on A LOT of money. This will help local businesses where customers have been paying sales tax for years. Companies like Amazon are putting local businesses out left and right, especially in small towns like where I live.

1 Like

Ugh that a big deal for larger purchases. Paying 130 instead of 120 when committing to buy is a bit of a jump.

I think eBay needs to be more transparent with the appropriate tax prior to purchase. This also makes selling my more expensive items tougher when a 40 dollar tax is slapped on!

I would suggest watch/read the news more often, this has been discussed for years now.

1 Like

Once you start generating income, the government will find a way to take the money you earned.

Not sure how this will be fully implemented, and how taxing millions of individuals on each sale is going to work. Such a needless draconian law that only harms businesses.

1 Like

Death and Taxes.

3 Likes

Started for me on May 1.

It is annoying and will continue to be annoying for a little while, but pretty soon, everyone will get used to it and will just begin to routinely factor it in to their overall cost.

1 Like

I will most likely be in the minority here but I see more positive from this than negative. Coming from a family who has had to shut the doors on more than one of our retail shops due to a vast majority of people buying online rather than local. This will help even out the cheap prices of buying online and maybe get people to step outside and shop locally, go to the small retail shops, go out to the mall, keep doors open in your town, bring in more county tax dollars. Will this affect online retailers? Sure I think it will, will it make online retailers go broke in the numbers that local retailers have been going broke? I don’t think so. The negative part is now when I’m looking for cards I could flip I have to pay less, but when looking for cards to buy for my collection it hasn’t stopped me from buying.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ve got no issue with states taxing online purchases the same way they do purchases anywhere else. What with so much business being taken online now it only makes sense. Hard to discuss this without getting in to the beautiful and ever-uniting topic that is tax law and reform, but I think we should all resign ourselves to paying tax online from now on. I do think it will be interesting to see the implementation though.

This, although in my own selfish interest one way I’ve found could be a potential circumvention for larger purchases is to have a middleman who lives in a sales tax free state (hence why I’m looking for a middleman). $1000 purchase is cheaper now to just have shipped from a 0% tax free state and pay the middleman extra for their time.

I don’t see NY on the list? Not that I’m surprised considering the crackpot politicians they have;)

State

Effective Date

Additional Information

Minnesota

January 1, 2019

Minnesota - opens in new window or tab

Small business exemption - Minnesota has enacted a small business exemption for out of state unregistered sellers whose taxable retail sales into Minnesota are less than $10,000 in the previous 12-month period. These sellers are not subject to the Minnesota marketplace tax laws, and eBay will not be collecting sales tax on these transactions.

Washington

January 1, 2019

Washington - opens in new window or tab

Iowa

February 1, 2019

Iowa - opens in new window or tab

Connecticut

April 1, 2019

Connecticut - opens in new window or tab

District of Columbia

May 1, 2019

District of Columbia - opens in new window or tab

Nebraska

May 1, 2019

Nebraska - opens in new window or tab

New Jersey

May 1, 2019

New Jersey - opens in new window or tab

Alabama

July 1, 2019

Alabama - opens in new window or tab

Oklahoma

July 1, 2019

Oklahoma - opens in new window or tab

Pennsylvania

July 1, 2019

Pennsylvania - opens in new window or tab

South Dakota

July 1, 2019

South Dakota - opens in new window or tab

South Carolina

October 1, 2019

South Carolina - opens in new window or tab

It’s not so much that they’re adding even more taxes on daily. It’s what they’re wasting our hard earned money on. How about cut taxes, kick them out, and let us decide what to spend our money on. And like someone mentioned above, BUY LOCAL. Like I always advocate how tightwad bargainers hurt our hobby and overpaying a bit is good, I feel the same about spending your money in your community which supports your neighbors…even if you pay a bit more,

Is it outdated?

www.digitalcommerce360.com/2019/01/16/new-york-sets-its-online-sales-tax-rules/

@cman, That was the thing that bothered me. I knew this was coming, BUT did not think it was affecting NY yet. I thought it very odd…

Dates were announced prior to the start of the year for many states. This has been in place for a few months for states like WA. Any purchase a buyer makes on Ebay will have sales tax applied. NY was not on the list. Sounds like this tax collection was added for NY as of June 1st but was not announced prior.

RIP NY buyers. At least it makes it easy for @gottaketchumall

Also note this is not an Ebay policy. It’s due to the laws in your state. These new online marketplace laws apply to sites like Amazon, Ebay, Etsy, etc. For more info you can read up here www.avalara.com/us/en/blog/2018/04/Marketplace_sales_tax_laws_explained.html

2 Likes

Fight for your freedom and dollars my brothers, fight until your dying breath against this tyranny.

Anyone who supports this idea is extremely native to compliance. Barely anyone in pokemon pays taxes, so this law only hurts people playing by the rules.

Therefore you are further suffocating actual businesses that don’t use the word “we” in every sentence. Also, I don’t get the perks of having a physical presence in these states but I pay the same tax rate?

Its another law that takes from people who are innovative. Oh your state is in debt, don’t worry, you don’t have to work hard with no guarantees and solve your own problems like everyone else, just take money from those people.

4 Likes