New Taxes on Ebay - a quick tip

Hi guys, I don’t want to circumvent a locked thread and I know there was a lot of arguing and whatnot going on but I just ran into this and it blindsided me today when I went to purchase a Staff Charizard. In NYC, the taxes are quite high and when I went to checkout, the additional fee for taxes was substantial- something that probably wouldn’t have bothered me so much if I accounted for it, but this just went into affect on June 1st.

In any case, I called ebay and the customer service person I spoke to suggested that I simply changed the address. So that’s exactly what I did, I had it mailed to my Florida address and boom - I saved $50. She also gave me a coupon. Boom. I saved another $50.

In any case, I know people have different strong feelings on taxes, and I think if EVERYONE was UNIVERSALLY paying these extra fees/taxes for their purchases, then it would be easier to accept since there would be an even playing field. But for now, my suggestion for a lot of people who have multiple addresses is to ship it to your address in a state that doesn’t add the tax OR use a middle man/service to have the card forwarded to you. It’s just too much money to throw a way for a lot of people when there’s a simple work around.

P.S. - at checkout, you have the option of adding a new address, and changing from one shipping address to another. This is where you resolve this and have the fees removed before paying for your item.

1 Like

Are we positive this is in effect in NY? I live in NYC as well and none of my transactions from individuals this month have had any sales tax.

Yes. I purchased a staff charizard today and the tax was showing up when I went to pay. I had to change the shipping address to have it removed before I followed through with my payment.

I don’t blame you for working your way around even more New York taxes. You have the highest Tax Burden in the country. You have the most people leaving too…most heading to Florida where there’s no income tax.
Top 5 loser (people getting out) states. All are increasing taxes even higher:

· New York (114,929 net people leaving with $5.7 billion in Adjusted Gross Income)

· Illinois (68,943 people with $3.8 billion in AGI)

· California (47,458 people with 3.8 billion in AGI)

· Connecticut (14,453 people with $1.8 billion in AGI)

· Massachusetts (11,915 people with $1 billion in AGI)

What do they all have in common I wonder?

I’m sure glad I live in Nevada.

3 Likes

5 Likes

I mean I’m not against taxes if they’re going to finance better school systems here or regional healthcare or infrastructure but I have no clue where the money is going. The MTA is getting more and more expensive and as far as I know, the states you mentioned don’t offer better benefits of any kind for that tax money they are absorbing. I’d be interested to knowing what these states have managed to accomplish with the extra funding. If it’s just being wasted, then yeah, it’s bullshit.

For the record, this life hack is called “using a middleman” and outside of America it’s a well known trick :grin:

2 Likes

Yeah I mentioned middlemen in my original post, but the fact is that most American’s on E4 haven’t experienced this before so we gotta put them on. Can’t have them getting wrecked because they don’t know all the tricks you Canadians and Euro’s use :blush:

1 Like

Can also confirm the new tax policy going on eBay. I sold a Pokemon card there June 1st, and the buyer contacted me inquiring about a new tax charge he had he had on his invoice. I wasn’t aware of it, but checked on the buyer and he was located in New York. He paid the tax (which eBay keeps, I just got the purchase price + shipping funds).

Find it very strange. I’ve purchased two items so far this month from eBay and neither had any sales tax added.

Be careful Gary, a lot of Californians are moving to Nevada! NY exodus will continue also, our high taxes really don’t give us much here but crappy health care, schools and transportation lol

1 Like

Don’t people in the US have access to state/city level budgets and financials?

Yes but the politicians make it very difficult to decipher. One thing they were able to determine was illegal alien and illegal criminals costs for health care, education, gang/incarceration costs, Medicaid dollars and food benefits plus many other free benefits for illegals. There were close to a MILLION illegals in New York and over 2 Million in California.
That money has to come from somewhere so they overtax the hard working citizens. This is why many don’t mind taking advantage of things like the State/eBay tax policy. Those state governments just waste the money anyway.

1 Like