Tamamushi University Magikarp, what does everyone think?

There are many interesting cards in this wonderful hobby but non have caught my attention more so than the University Magikarp and the history behind it. I am still learning about it and never ceases to amaze me. There is some debate on the artwork but I thoroughly enjoy it. Ken Sugimoris humorous, yet serious, artwork of a Magikarp beaming out a dragon rage is priceless. One of the most harmless and useless fish…blasting out a kahmehmeha is hysterical to me. And unique! The artwork itself is what caught my interest in this specific card. The history that is behind it is even more intriguing. There is already a very detailed post about the University Magikarp in these forums describing its history. I wanted to make a new post to ask everyone what they think about it personally? I think it would be fun to see opinions on the artwork and history!

To explain in a quick and very simplistic summary (I implore everyone to read the other post for way more detailed info) for the people who do not know about it, in 1998 Shogakukan publisher issued exams in their “age” specific magazines that ranged from 1st - 6th grade, only in Japan. In these magazines were a series of progressively difficult tests released in different monthly issues of the magazine. The questions on these tests consisted of in game (gameboy) scenarios, tcg and pokemon lore in general. I believe there were 3 or 4 tests in total throughout the releases. Children had to pass these tests with a perfect score in order to receive a certificate of completion and be invited to the fictional Tamamushi University two day tournament in Osaka, Japan. The final passing certificate granted you entrance to the 2 day tournament. Kids who passed the test and attended this tournament were then split into different groups and competed against each other in Pokemon battles. The winners in this tournament were then awarded the University Magikarp and other really cool prizes. Crazy right? As a full grown adult I myself cannot even answer some of these questions. Very difficult in my opinion. The fact that children passed those tests flawlessly… is… insane to me. And then had to enter the tournament and WIN, in order to receive the limited/custom Ken Sugimori University Magikarp… what a way to make a statement! It was stated that not all winners received their copies, reason being that not many copies were produced. Making the card that much more exclusive.

So what is your personal opinion on this specific card? What do you think Ken Sugimori signified by making this card? As a kid, was going through all that worth it for a Magikarp with super powers? Ill start!
I think the University Magikarp introduces the atmosphere of being a Pokemon master. I see it as a real life Gym Badge. It gave a child the spirit of a real life pokemon trainer. I think Sugimoris Magikarp signifies that every one of those kids started from the bottom and were clueless to Pokemon and worked their way up to be, what was then regarded as, a Pokemon master. And it was all through time and experience nothing was given, just earned. Just like Magikarp, just like Ash and just like Red. And as weak and a useless as you think you are we all have a dragon rage waiting inside us ready to unleash. I hope to acquire a card like this one day and learn more about it as the years go by. Reading up on it really puts me back in the year 1998 and excites me! I feel like a kid again. I look at the University Magikarp as a real life Gym Badge that is certified guaranteed! And that to me is way, way too cool. I look forward to reading everyones opinions. The good, the bad and the ugly! Are there other cards that make anyone feel this way? If Tamamushi University Magikarp is a real life gym badge then Illusrtators must be what are given when you beat the Elite Four! Some may say its just a “shark with a frickin laser beam” but to me its a wonderful piece of Pokemon history and Im glad to have stumbled upon it after all these years.

12 Likes

I Love the card. It represents everything Pokemon is about: Unique release, concept, and art. Obviously its a rare card, but it also has a whimsical layer because of its thoughtful release. The uniqueness of its distribution and design is what separates pokemon from other money driven collectibles.

8 Likes

I actually just read up on the history of the unikarp recently and I love it. I never knew how deep it went. Even just Tamamushi being the Japanese equivalent of Celadon was such a cool detail I never knew. They made the academy feel like a real place in the Pokémon world though absent from the games. I wish I could have taken all of the exams.

The card itself is awesome. Like you said The karp using dragon rage is just such a cool and fun concept. I haven’t read the thread on here but @dreamtech 's site has a great article on it which I read.

pokumon.com/tamamushi-university-magikarp-campaign/

6 Likes

One just sold as well, it’s such a great card. It’s easily my favorite magikarp.

1 Like

I love everything about it. The pokemon, the art, the nature of the card’s release, it’s got everything going for it. Funny, the way I learned the second attack was dragon rage was actually through playing a translated version of pokemon card GB2 where you can get the card in the game as a promo.

1 Like

Tamamushi University just brings it into a whole other world and thats one of the best aspects of it! Its real life Pokemon. Passing exams to be accepted into the Unviversity and then compete against the best and brightest after months of training…the hype was real! Perfect atmosphere. Like Smpratte said, the thoughtfulness they put in great detail for all this to happen was impressive. At a time where mail in was the only way to get your test results back. The wait for the test results to return as a kid must have been stressful!! Even as an adult I’d be too stressed to wait. Just amazing in every aspect. It must have been a kids dream to get accepted into that University and still is! :rofl: and yes that article is extremely detailed and helpful!

1 Like

Greatest Magikarp with amazing art work and history, pokumon.com has good article about it.

2 Likes

Maybe an unpopular opinion since I’ve only ever seen this card get positive attention, but I just don’t care for it - the illustration feels like it could have easily been released as a bulk common card. To my eyes it looks like typical Sugimori stock art.

9 Likes

Have to agree, it has a great back story but the art does nothing for me. Shining/fan club magikarp has far superior artwork IMO

1 Like

I don’t think the Unikarp art was stock Sugimori. I’ve never seen it anywhere else.

2 Likes

I think the idea of Magikarp having Dragon Rage before Gyarados is really cool. A lot of people of course laugh at Magikarp because it’s basically useless until it transforms into Gyarados, but imagine if it could learn Dragon Rage before that? That’s probably my favourite thing about this card, along with the artwork. It takes Magikarp from it’s silly/cute form into something truly unique and powerful with just a small tweak to it’s moveset.

I see it was re-used in this Web Version, but yeah I think it’s one of his most unique drawings of that era. Definitely stands out, would be cool to acquire one at some point.

2 Likes

Wow, I didn’t know the full extent that people had to go through to get this card until reading that article. Japan sure does like its hard as balls tests. It was cool to get a chance to see it a while back in a shop in Akihabara. 2 million yen seems like a bargain now for all the effort the winner had to put in! I think the art is cool and representative of a different time, classic Sugimori on a classic terrible background, what’s not to like? lol

1 Like

One of the most overhyped cards of all time. Mentioned in the same sentence as the 99 TROPICAL WIND?! Will never stop trashing it. Reprint as a SET card, a TroPhY?! Come on now. Think about the cards you could buy instead, with UNIQUE art. Oh man.

(More than half way kidding tho release is kind of cool, so happy for everybody who owns one < 3 Besides the pity ofc.)

3 Likes

Cool card

2 Likes

I always appreciated the release, but I used to be pretty indifferent to the the artwork. That changed when I bought a University of Phoenix (Web) Magikarp. It really does look nice, even though the ‘M’ is cut off a bit. Pictures don’t do it justice.

1 Like

Yeah it really was Pokémon brought to life. Its really amazing that they did such a thing through mail and magazines. I know I would have loved to participate. Pokemon has such an amazing history and this is a prime example of that!

It’s a cool card but a pity that it’s not an unique art.

Love this fish. Wouldn’t change it.

Although it was ‘reprinted’ in the Web series, as you can see from this overlay I made. If you want the full artwork (a few extra bubbles etc) well you need to pay the premium. Now that’s how to gatekeep art.

7 Likes

Although some people dont appreciate the artwork I dont think it was made with the impression to be such a superb artwork or the greatest artwork but more so of the message it sends in the art. I think for the message the campaign was trying to send, he delivered it flawlessly. And I believe thats the message Sugimori had in mind when completing this piece, rather than the ascetics. I enjoy the artwork a lot, especially after learning the history. I thoroughly enjoy reading everyones responses! For me, a non holo card that was released in 1998, with a fish shooting out a dragon rage that its not even suppose to know yet is extremely unique and does get the message across clearly. What other card has a Pokemon performing a move they are not suppose to know? Im sure there may be some but I dont know of any, Im still learning. Especially such a powerful move from such a weak pokemon? Add the history behind it and its a done deal for me haha I have to have it! Getting it is a whole other story though

4 Likes

@sartzcharz , I was known in a local spanish TCG community due to my interest in e-Cards and hunting rare cards like JR East Stamp Rally Surfing Pikachu. Like 2 years ago, someone sent me a message asking me for an opinion of a card. And the card itself was the University Magikarp. It was an ungraded sample and he wanted to know the price of it (because he was selling it). After like 2 years, I decided to talk him again to ask about the Magikarp. He told me that the card is no longer with him. Also, he sent 2 Charizard. Btw, the Unikarp in the image is FAKE due to the borders (doesn’t match with original one).

Opinion of the card (Not related to the picture below)

It’s a really nice card. Represents an event and history of TCG. One of the “Holy Grails”. PSA High graded cards are really expensive. Luckily for you, in 2001 this card got a reprint for Pokémon Web (a really nice expansion that includes other cards like Masaki Promo Gengar and WoTC Legendary Birds). It’s not as expensive as the Unnumbered Promo version.

What I think about the card??? One of the best TCG cards ever: Includes History-Cool Artwork-Rarity and by far my favourite Magikarp card. 100/100 :blush:

This image is NOT mine. Is from the one that sent me the message.

2 Likes