Super mario bros 3 record

A wata 9.2 A+Recently sold for $156k surpassing the previous record of the super Mario bros one that sold for $100k

3 Likes

Holy crap, video games are actually reaching these levels now? What a surprise, I need to get my games graded.

As a collector of graded Pokemon cards Iā€™m probalby not in a position to complain. That said, I find these prices utterly insane given the value basically comes exclusively from the thin cellophane wrap around the box. And you canā€™t even play the actual game.

1 Like

Booster boxes and basically all sealed product. Seriously though I canā€™t fathom people paying that, but then again weā€™re buying shiny childrenā€™s cardboard so weā€™re not really ones to talk

People on the outside of a hobby will always feel that way. But people are just as perplexed as you are when they see the kind of money we spend on childrenā€™s cards. Whenever I ensure a high end card for shipping the workers are always so shocked.

But at least booster boxes contain something that has value in and of itself. Of course the value of cards is not inherent, it depends on many people agreeing on their value. It is still an added ā€˜layerā€™ of value, so the main part of the value is IN the box.
Whereas the wrappers of Game Boy games protect something that in comparison is basically worthless without the plastic surrounding it. Therefore it feels to me that these buyers collect ridiculously overpriced plastic wrappers.

Probably I shouldnā€™t consider the actual game inside the box as the ā€˜basic collectible untitā€™, but instead the sealed box as a whole.
Itā€™s just a different line of thinking I canā€™t really get behind, I guess.

This is very true and thatā€™s why Iā€™m leaving it at that. Iā€™m not the one to tell people what to spend their money on. Just wanted to share my 2 cents nobody asked for :wink:

2 Likes

Ooo maybe this will get hyped up enough that it will finally be worth selling my left justified variant copies. I dislike graded sealed games myself, but I love that the NES community keeps up with and cares about all the little variantsā€”3 vs 5 screw, REV-0/REV1, printing variants, etc. The later Gen collectors havenā€™t continued this tradition unfortunately, but they sure do like to seal those suckers up! Video games are massive nostalgia, I just still remain a bit surprised that it exists even when others canā€™t look at the manuals or play the actual game. Then again, the sealed copy is the ā€œtrophyā€ copy, thereā€™s probably a play copy or emulated game to go along with it. Nothing like hearing the music in these games to bring me back.

A 9.2?!? Of a game that sold 20 million copies?!? Was it a special variant?

2 Likes

Gonna agree with muk here. Sealed product has the value of a chance for the valuable card. The contents of this sealed game is the game and box for the most part which seems to be less than a hundred bucks combined. I understand some rarity and value in a sealed version but the premium for a higher quality sealed version versus an opened or even lower grade one is astounding. Theres a 7 that sold for a little over 2k and 8.5 for 3.5k. Imagine if a 1st ed charizard psa 8 sold for a little over 3k.