Squirtle POP4 - Error/Defect?

Hi everyone, was going through an old friends collection and stumbled across this card.

The white part of the card is textured exactly the same as the rest of the card, and you don’t feel a change between the sections either. I’m not sure if I’ve seen something like this before.

Any ideas how this would have happened? Or if there would be any interest in this sort of thing? Also feel free to ask any additional questions, thanks :blush:

2 Likes

Pretty cool! Looks similar to the Charmeleons from this thread: www.elitefourum.com/t/error-charmeleon-not-sure-would-like-your-opinions/20902/1

3 Likes

Thank you for finding that thread! I wonder why the Charmeleon one stops at the border, while this one devours it though

Wow what an interesting find.

1 Like

This error is caused buy an obstruction of the ink layers onto the card stock. On WOTC cards, the border is printed as a solid yellow layer before the CMYK ink layers are added. So the CMYK layers on the the Charmeleon were obstructed but the border was not. On the Squirtle, all layers were obstructed; I have a suspicion that the yellow border is not printed the same way for the Nintendo era cards, ie. not on a separate layer

3 Likes

I guess this printing defect would help that suspicion. Thank you so much for the information :blush: