Speculation on 30th Anniversary

Though Pokemon TCG’s 30th Anniversary is still a good 2 years away, I’ve been having some thoughts on how card prices might pan out during that period and thus would like to share it for discussion. These are just my predictions and I could be totally wrong, but it is still fun to speculate :wink:

I think most people would expect hype for 30th, and for the TCG to do best in 2026 during the Anniversary itself. Personally, I think that end 2025 might be the stronger period for the TCG.

Why so? Imagine ourselves just months away from the big 30th amniversary as a collector, how many would quit the hobby under normal circumstances if you were already in the hobby for the transition years? With less people moving away from the hobby, and social media pushing content hyping up 30th on all fronts, I feel that the speculation itself will push prices up more so than the actual anniverary in 2026.

Even if 30th Anniversary were to bring in a new wave of collectors, I do think that it will take time for the market to adjust and prices to go up. There will also be many “investors” that come out of their closet and start selling stuff, hence potentially flooding the market.

Thoughts on this?

1 Like

First Time GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

1 Like

As I wrote here, I think the overall market cycles are more susceptible to what’s happening outside the market rather than inside it Will Pokemon prices plummet on the 30th anniversary? - #4 by pfm

4 Likes

ofcourse not

I’m more interested to know what @pfm pfm thinks will happen to Burning Shadows during Pokemon’s 30th anniversary.

I could see a new game or some sort of non tcg thing bringing a lot of people back into pokemon which would then have an effect on the tcg. If pokemon does it right and has a great set, thatd only make it better. Gotta keep in mind that the 30th anniversary is for all of pokemon, not the tcg. Generally, I think its safer to assume that there will be a lot of new people/returning people then, but will it be the tcg doing it or something else? idk

Trying to speculate on whats gonna stonk is pretty much pointless. If anything, the swsh era boxes may have a new peak price. Thats my prediction. SWSH stonks in 2026. You heard it here first

!remindme 2 years

Speculation on speculation never ends well

3 Likes

From the information available to us today I don’t see any specific correlation between the two. If something cool comes out and draws in a ton of new people than it’s safe to assume prices across the board would be affected positively.

I wonder how TCG Pocket will affect the physical TCG during the 30th.

When it was announced I thought it would fail within 2 years but now I think it might actually do pretty well.

I think 30th anniversary will be hugely successful. We already had the disaster example from WOTC showing what not to do with Magic 30, and Yu-Gi-Oh had a pretty popular 25th anniversary, I expect Pokemon will knock it out of the park for their 30th. If they don’t, I’d be concerned honestly. Their business leadership talks about wanting to become a truly multigenerational brand/IP, something very few have succeeded at. Disney is a good example, as is Barbie. If Pokemon is going to truly stand the test of time and remain strong as people born in the 90s get to mid 30s, 40+ years old that will be interesting to see.

1 Like

2023 was the 25th anniversary of Pokémon Center. That was brushed aside for Worlds Yokohama

2024 is the 25th anniversary of Gold & Silver main games. No remakes announced on Pokémon Day, we’re getting Pokémon Legends: Z-A instead

30th is a landmark milestone for the JP games and JP tcg but I feel the more expectations pile up leading to any pending anniversary, the further we stray from acknowledging what TPC actually wants to do with their brand

As for any future tcg releases, they will probably come up with a 30th Anniversary Collection special set. However, unlike anything released 2021-2023, TPC and TPCi will be far more prepared to meet demand with continuous print waves. By then, Simplified Chinese will have caught up with Japanese releases and TPC Japan won’t have to manage large summary sets anymore. Everything will be streamlined as they intended. It won’t affect vintage or modern in any way

5 Likes

Warning: wall-of-text / boring history analysis incoming!

All we can really do is take lessons from previous market experiences and extrapolate them to envision the future, but even then it’s not that helpful because one of the key lessons learned is that the most significant market shifts have been caused by an unpredictable, complementary mix of events from both within and outside the TCG.

Jumping on the back of pfm’s post in the other speculation thread, 2016 brought what would quickly become the world’s most popular mobile gaming app tied directly to Pokemon. This occurred at a time following a long period (mainly 2003 - 2012) of market stagnation with the TCG, having barely been in the peripheral vision of mainstream entertainment for over a decade. This suddenly brought a huge amount of global attention back to Pokemon, and therefore the TCG. Conveniently, this also fell at a time when the millennial generation was starting to get some real discretionary income and nostalgic thirst. Evolutions then released later in 2016, which couldn’t have been a more perfect expansion for drawing people back into the hobby using staples they were familiar with, in a more modernised format. It was a near perfect mixture of events.

Roll on a few years and we got to Autumn 2019, at which point there was a noticeable but “healthy” uptrend in prices for cards and products across the board, which had followed 2.5 years of organic growth. Hidden Fates was a phenomenal release in September 2019 that brought more people back into the hobby. That said, during its initial release Hidden Fates didn’t immediately go out of stock before it had even hit the shelves, as it would have if it been released a couple of years later.

There was several months of bedding-in, drawing more people back in, which was massively reinforced shortly after by a complete black swan event in the form of the COVID lockdowns. When we first learned of the impending lockdowns, initial speculation was that it would spell disaster for economies and that similarly the TCG market would suffer. The complete opposite happened. Interest surged, people had spare time, spare cash and a renewed nostalgia borne partly from the boredom brought on from lockdown restrictions. The economy likewise boomed. Then enter Logan Paul and everything went crazy. Simultaneously, this began right at the beginning of the introduction of SWSH, which is currently considered one of the best eras in PTCG collecting history. Hidden Fates, along with many other products could no longer be simply taken off the shelves. Interestingly, this all happened during a period between anniversaries.

Anticipation of the 25th anniversary helped continue to propel demand, and despite its relatively lacklustre offerings, managed to prove a huge success with collectors. What these years brought with them was obviously a massive influx of people - inevitably a portion of which would go on to leave the “safari zone” (to quote smpratte) and gain interest in the prize card market, which also proved to acquire significant demand and therefore price increases.

Despite 2022 seeing the beginning of the decline in hype and furore around the TCG, and the accompanying exodus of many people from the hobby (read: Timmys who realised free tendies had been taken off the table), what this period left us with is a new baseline collectorbase, as was the case after 2016. This means a paradigm-shift in interest, and therefore a paradigm-shift in the market. This is a key reason prices will never (source: me) go back to pre-2020. This is where we are now: in a stabilised, post-2020, “paradigm-shifted” market.

The point of this boring history lesson that everyone already knows is unfortunately quite frustrating; to highlight that there is such an incredibly diverse mixture of factors both out- and inside the TCG that need to occur under the right conditions for the market to see any kind of serious shift. To be able to predict when that might occur is near impossible. The 30th anniversary could fall at an economically-appropriate point in time, and simultaneously bring with it high quality and enjoyable releases that appeal to the broadest possible audiences, which marks a new shift. Then again, it could be crap!

4 Likes

The 25th was big a clean number and occurred during the craziest time since 1999.
I don’t think the 30th anniversary itself will have any impact on other cards. The 30th anniversary set will see high demand and high printing

It’s funny that the sets that were going crazy during covid (Darkness Ablaze, Champion’s Path, Vivid Voltage) are pretty awful, especially the first two.

Hopefully the 30th will not have Base Set Charizard reprinted yet again.

The 20th where all the mythicals got special arts is what they should go for.

3 Likes

20th in 2016 was the final year of XY era, it’s because they were past the introductory and remake (ORAS) phases that they could go all out experimenting with Concept Packs and various releases e.g. PokéKyun, Poncho Pikachu promos, Rocket 20th, 20th Battle Festa, etc.

30th in 2026 will likely be the first year of gen 10, the introductory phase. I imagine they will attempt a Pokémon 151 type of mid-year special set as that was also a first year era release. Everything else of that year will focus on the newest gen Pokémon. Unfortunately, anniversaries always refer to the oldest iconic set cards so Base Set Pikachu and Kanto starters will make their way in somehow

I’d like to see a set commemorating generation two or three, perhaps both. A lot of Pokémon haven’t seen many modern TCG releases.

unless they finally break the 3 year cycle :flushed:

tbh it would be a good time to do that. maybe another L/HGSS 1 year era (PLZA era)

I’d imagine the next 5 years will be fairly stable. Granted that the tpc doesn’t drop the ball or a second global pandemic occurs. I’m sure the execution will be there for the 30th anv. but I don’t believe it will reach the levels of the 25th/2021 boom. Supply is higher and I don’t see card designs changing drastically. So my prediction is a bit dull but I hope that means collecting will be more tranquil, at least I hope it will.

1 Like

In all likelihood we will get yet another reprint of the base set Charizard.

This time the metal cards will be printed on Titanium.

“All New Charizard 30 with Titanium”

Would I be mad if they minted a Platinum Lugia? No.

Everyone talks about the 30th like its some event, I don’t believe we see anything but a large amount of sellers dumping that jumped in on the 25th. 25th was/is in outlier in my mind.

2 Likes