Special Delivery Pikachu Updates

Welcome to the Special Delivery Pikachu Daily Updates thread! I’ve taken a special interest to SD Pikachu and believe it is a good reflector of how the modern market works in general and how once supply comes flooding in prices will be driven down until corrected. My hopes is that I can keep up with this and post updates about the card every single day and also have a place where people can chat about this amazing and unique card! Keep in mind with this data that not even 2 months ago a PSA 10 was $1500.

4/19/21

POP.

PSA 9- 1,497 68.9% (so close)
PSA 10- 310 14.27%
Total POP- 2,173

eBay data.

PSA 10

Most Recent Sale: $810 (4/19/21 ended with 2 bids)
Lowest Currently listed: $885 (is $925 but offered lower to buyers)

PSA 9

Most Recent Sale: $224 & $285 (4/18/21)
Lowest Current listed: $245

28 Likes

Thanks for the data! I’ve sent in seven now and none have been 10 yet! Must be the print lines letting them down :sweat_smile:

To add some data of the first few PSA-10s that sold (through eBay) when there were barely any PSA-10 graded Delivery Pikachu cards yet (even though loads of them were in PSA’s pipeline). The first few PSA-10s sold for ~3-4k USD back in January:

As for the start of February, price started dropped slightly after more came back from PSA (1.5-2.5k USD):

And as mentioned in sparky’s post above, the most recent PSA-10 sale was apparently 810 USD, with loads available at 1k USD buyout.

This trend kinda reminds me of the BGS black label Shiny Charizard from Hidden Fates. The first one sold for 11k USD (way before the market increase btw). Then more and more started popping up and some sold for as low as 2k USD. But due to the market of 2020, it’s right now back to 10k+ USD despite the pop of 150+ black label BGS-10s. (I’m not saying the Delivery Pikachu will do the same, just thought it was a funny illustration of how the market trend went before and after the market explosion last year, and the popularity of Charizards and BGS black label 10s…)
Greetz,
Quuador

10 Likes

Here’s a screenshot from my hopefully-soon-to-be-released PSA population tool:

The PSA 10 to PSA 9 rate is pretty steady which implies (to me at least) that a lot of the cards must have printing defects which bring their grade down to a 9 - rather than this being a case of PSA’s grading standards changing since the card was introduced or that there was an upsurge in PSA 10 grades in the beginning but nothing but tumbleweeds since then.

This is the 5th most popular Pokémon card being sent to PSA for grading in the past 5 weeks.

This is probably a good opportunity for me to say that I’m hoping to run short a beta test of this app shortly before putting it live - if anyone would like to participate please send me a PM.

23 Likes

I agree. someone else mentioned this but there must be major print issues with this card seeing that that PSA 10 pop is extremely low for a modern card

I too thought of the Hidden Fates Charizard when I saw this. I believe people are panic selling right now especially the PSA 9 since most are coming back as that and the price just keeps getting lower and lower. I believe the PSA 10 is the same way but since the pop for the 10 has stagnated in the last 2 weeks it’s just a matter of time before the price starts to go back up. Will it go back to the 5k it was 4 months ago? probably not but weirder things have happened!

1 Like

4/20/21 Update (Nice)

POP.

PSA 9- 1,506 (68.92%) +9
PSA 10- 312 (14.28%) +2
Total POP- 2,185

eBay data.

PSA 10 (Averaging 1 sale per day over last week)

Most Recent Sale: $810 (4/19/21)
Lowest Currently listed: $900

PSA 9 (averaging 3.4 sales per day over the last week)

Most Recent Sale: $260 (4/20/21)
Lowest Current listed: $244.88

How is there already a PSA1 of these already out there? Did someones dog get to the package before they did? Why would you even send it in? Intentional damage for the whole spectrum of grades?

3 Likes

Lol probably the latter. But in all honesty, idk if it was poor printing, handling, or storage but a lot of these cards have defects. I’m getting evolutions level print error numbers when looking at these cards.

These aren’t that bad, there are still some Evo Holos that are Pop 0

That singular PSA 1 made me laugh more than it should have. They almost certainly had to pay up to get it graded too…I gotta assume it was intentional

for sure. gotta have that whole set

4/21/21 Update

POP.

PSA 9- 1,524 (69.02%) +18
PSA 10- 313 (14.18%) +1

Total POP- 2,208

eBay Data.

PSA 10

Lowest Currently listed: $900

PSA 9

Most Recent Sale: $255 (4/21/21)

Lowest Current listed: $244.88

2 Likes

4/22/21 Update

POP.

PSA 9- 1,535 (68.90%) +11
PSA 10- 316 (14.18%) +3

Total POP- 2,228

eBay Data.

PSA 10

Lowest Currently listed: $875

PSA 9

Most Recent Sale: $271 (4/22/21)
Lowest Current listed: $255

4/23/21 Update

POP.

PSA 9- 1,553 (68.99%) +18
PSA 10- 319 (14.17%) +3

Total POP- 2,251

eBay Data.

PSA 10

Most Recent Sale: $925 (4/23/21)
Lowest Currently listed: $790 (offer was sent to interested buyers)

PSA 9

Most Recent Sale: $259 (4/23/21)
Lowest Current listed: $240

Prices continue to drop and as of 10 days ago the lowest price was just at $1000. a $200 drop in that time is ridiculous.

1 Like

This is the same as pretty much any new chase card. First ones sell for very high, keeps dropping until equilibrium and then it chooses. Sold a Rainbow Vmax for like $2400 week of release, few weeks later it was in the 700s, this is very normal.

4/25/21 Update

POP.

PSA 9- 1,570 (68.92%) +4
PSA 10- 323 (14.17%) +0
Total POP- 2,278

eBay Data.

PSA 10

Most Recent Sale: $830 (4/24/21) & $1124 on 4/23/21
Lowest Currently listed: $918.88

PSA 9

Most Recent Sale: $309 (4/25/21)
Lowest Current listed: $255

It’s too early to tell but it seems prices may be bouncing back or at least stabilizing somewhat. All of the cards that were posted sub $850 or had offers lower than that all sold in less than 2 days. that seems to be the floor price and newer prices are reflecting that.

Well, looking at it on a day-by-day basis is pretty micro. Pricing fluctuations are pretty normal overall, so a stable price for just two days doesn’t say much. :wink:

Kinda reminds me of someone in the Great English Discussion Thread who was comparing Base Set prices of October 27th with November 1st, and who saw a decrease. Sure, looking at it on that small scale there was indeed a decrease in prices, but those cards existed for almost two decades, and still saw an increase of more than 100% (in some cases even 500%+) when comparing January 1st to November 1st prices of that same year.
Of course it’s a different story with modern cards, since they don’t exist for such a long time yet. But a week-by-week comparison is probably sufficient enough, and we will see a nice trend when we have 6+ months (or maybe 12+ months considering how slow PSA is with grading and how many of these Delivery Pikachu promos are most likely still in their pipeline) of data eventually.

And I don’t mean we should only draw conclusions after those 6-12 months have passed. If someone wants to buy this PSA-10 card at an as low as possible price, it would probably be too late by then and it might have already increased again to a pretty substantial price. So in that regard it’s useful to keep track of the prices on a pretty small scale and buy it when it’s low and just before you think it’s going to increase in price again soon.
Just keep in mind that market prices are never linear. We might see it go from ~3.5k USD to 800 USD now, and then slowly back up again. But there will always be low and high prices in between, or dips in the graph of data points. Supply/demand is extremely variable, and therefore also extremely hard to predict.

Greetz,
Quuador

7 Likes