Market for 2020..?

Hey guys
Been a while since I’ve shopped or invested time to check sold listings,forums , etc.
How is the shadowless PSA 9-10s 1st edition market looking ? Has there been a jump…?
From a quick glance it seems the market is somewhat at a stand still. My gut tells me it will stay this way for the next 7-10 years …

1 Like

Detective Pikachu will create a large uptick in prices.

1 Like

What’s detective Pikachu ?

2 Likes

7-10 years? No freaking way.

2-3 years? Maybe.

2 Likes

My prediction: moderate but noticeable spike this summer due to more collector activity (summer months), mainstream influence (Detective Pikachu), and artificial interest (short-term flipping). Then prices will gradually return to about their current state by the fall/winter months. I expect this trend will effect some of the other WOTC holos as well, but mainly the cards that are scarce (not those that have many copies available). Flippers are a double-edged sword: the very act of flipping drives the prices of scarce cards while highly devaluing those that are more readily available . . . there is always a seller willing to drop their price to undercut the other available copies.

Frankly, I think we are going to see a lot of WOTC cards continue on their downward trajectory and never return to their 2017 prices (I hope I’m wrong). 1st Edition Base set is one of the few sets that I have faith in growing in value in both the short term and the long-term. Of course, these are just my thoughts and feelings.

3 Likes

He’s a world class detective!

There’s a live-action Pokemon movie coming out in May starring Ryan Reynolds (voicing Pikachu) and Justice Smith.

1 Like

www.pokemonprice.com/CardsForSet/98247308-89bc-4ec3-8826-f9d55d1be471/1999-pokemon-game

I think you might have a stomach bug if your gut says the market will stay static for 7-10 years

3 Likes

i think that most wotc stes will see increases over the near coming years, people seem to forget that there has been so much activity recently with set cards with flippers but eventually thisactivity will start to decline as there are more than enough serious collectors compared to population of popular set cards for the cards to disapaear into collections thats will never resurface again for sale. To add to this I think that the fact prices have declined and stabalized for so long, eventually people will realsie that investing in cards was a good idear 2015 and that peoples efforts to invest were during the hype which they are now realising that what they thought they could make a quick flip which can no longer happen in the time frame in which people experienced before the hype. with that said this could be a contributing factor for the amount of wotc cards up for sale recently, the flippers who are getting inpatiant with there investments not going to plan and will likley become uninyterested as they never had genuin interest in the hobby. this then leaves room for more collector with genuin interest allowing cards to find proper homes and not to be flipped 1 month later in the hope for a profit, so I do think that over time once the effect of the hype from 2015 post is over and settled the hobby will enter a state of growth again once the water has settled.

This was very useful. Thank you.

I can bet only a Hand full of guys ever made real money.
Gary deff racked up over 4-6Mill in sales over the years … :wink:

1 Like

I will bet you a lot more than that made “real money.”

It is not difficult to make money in this hobby if you know what you are doing. If you come in blindly for a quick cash grab, that’s a different story, but if you have knowledge and a genuine enjoyment for the TCG, you can absolutely make money.

I mean, the cards have shot up in prices over the last several years. Somewhere, someone is making some dough.

2 Likes

Will it ever reach baseball money is my point.

Then you are completely moving the goal posts, because that is not what you were originally arguing. Just because it might not reach “baseball money” does not mean the hobby is stagnant. That is a totally different argument.

2 Likes

You’re correct. Im just being Arrogant at this point

I truly believe we will see a large tick upwards once the population rate of 9/10s of WoTC slow down/level off. The amount of cards graded in the past two years is pretty crazy. I wonder how long it will last though.

As they say, only time will tell.

1 Like

Making money and making “real money” are two diff things. I think @arminallmighty meant some serious coin rather than some blips here and there to fund a mini vacation.

1 Like

Yessir !!
If I can liquidate now for 150- 175k I would.
Would I liquidate for 25-35k …nahh. And that’s what my entire collection is probably worth on a real market today after fees misc costs.

1 Like

I think this runs parallels with most hobbies there is money to be made if you put the time and effort into researching pricing and desirability of the collectable. Naturally a larger market will interest people who are only in it for the money, but I always think that passionate collectors will always have an edge. Although that last opinion maybe a more heartfelt then logically. The future is uncharted territory, even though MTG has tread a similar path before with being an older TCG the market and mentality of collectors vast immensely.

1 Like

I think you’ll be disappointed

6 Likes

When are you rejoining discord/ voicechat discussions?