Something new- What cards are overpriced?

Exactly 9’s and 10’s should be all sold into people’s collections for the most part in the near future. There is already a ton of cards with low availability in high grades for sale at least. Which is going to force people to collect lower grades or ungraded or unlimited. There’s nothing with being modest. Cheaper too :-). Sometimes I feel like people don’t understand raw cards go up in value too it’s not just the 9’s and 10’s but yes 9’s and 10’s go up quicker. As far as being overpriced there is no card i can possibly think of that’s overpriced. Every single card even Commons are underpriced in my eyes but hey that’s just me. Especially any type of actual pull. If a card is “Overpriced” why don’t you just go try like hell to go buy abunch of unweighed packs and try to pull the card and grade it in 9 or 10 yourself… A lot easier said than done. And the price of doing this will cost a ton. And you might still get unlucky and not pull the card you want. Or you pull it and it comes back a 7 even tho it’s pack fresh

1 Like

I am sure it is frustrating for most collector’s. As you have seen in many of Scott’s videos, we’ve seen this time and time again where people are used to somewhat of a stagnant or small change in price and are shocked when prices increase ten fold. This has been in many posts throughout E4 that people say something a long the lines of, “no way that card is going to go up”. If it is something you want, you really have to bite the bullet instead of hesitating as some have regretted (as long as it makes sense). A good example was Scott’s comparison of the two different buyers of a home.

3 Likes

@powolski , I own a few because I like it but not hoarding.

@bigvenusaur , surely there are more then that in the community that collect japanese and promos. Just have to own 1 to be collecting japanese/promos.

@muk , most of your responses are so negative and does not have much value. Sure there’s japanese card collectors that grade mass amount of cards, but those are few compared to others in community. If you have been around this community awhile, you should know who’s hoarding/targeting what cards. Your negativity shows that you have preset opinions, but I don’t come in your thread to be rude. You don’t have to comment on the threads, as you have not provided any value or consideration for the post topic aside from a commonality of being rude. Bratty and not very clever. Why are you calling japanese people poor as a consideration?

• I get it now. You are a grimer/muk and enjoy sludge.

The goal of thread is talking about overpriced cards, not inquiring about why sv49 is underpriced. It’s just funny that many of the ones that disregard modern cards, highly value japanese cards. Because they own them likely.

I am going with the boring answer of none. All cards are priced correctly according to their population and demand. Everything is exactly where it should be at all times.

6 Likes

https://i.imgur.com/m1tX4Aq.jpg
Currently going for $700+, need I say more? Probably 500 sitting at PSA right now waiting to be graded and shipped out.

This thread is hilarious

5 Likes

A little advise to get your point across, refrain from attacking who attacked you. If you love SV49, get at it man! I think many people here grew up with the older cards (myself) so that’s what gives us those great memories. There are fewer of the older cards printed, most of us who are a little older have more expendable income which results in those prices going upwards. We want them, they are scarce, we are willing to compete to get the cards we want.

Honestly, I am jealous of you; I wish I could get multiples of the cards I want at a lower cost. I have a spending problem over here, haha! If you believe SV49 is going to crank up in a few years, invest with whatever you feel comfortable with. Do NOT let others opinions sway you.

3 Likes

I’m not sure how anyone could argue that any WOTC is overpriced. As Scott has said many times show me the cheaper option.

This doesn’t mean prices won’t ever drop, maybe they will dip a bit when PSA is at full running capacity and more cards hit the market. But I wouldn’t expect some hidden storage locker to be discovered full of cards and flood the market driving prices back down to where we were at a few months ago. These cards are old, many have been thrown away, many have been sold on eBay and now sit in collections, many of the mint cards laying around have been graded during the great grading boom. It is only getting harder and harder to find mint cards on eBay, and with booster boxes soaring in price not many people will be opening them and grading the cards.

3 Likes

Just go collect all the moderns bro. Enjoy them 5ban bangers.

Here’s the info that I want to know: when has a card’s current market value been thought of as being too high, and then actually did end up falling in value in the medium to long term?

Watching the video about that guy on The Breakfast Club, he talked about how the above actually does happen quite a bit in sports, where people hype up a new prospect, the rookie card value skyrockets, but then the prospect’s actual professional performance sucks and the card falls 80-90% in value, never to recover.

I’m sure there are examples of the above in Pokemon, but none really jump to mind.

Certainly the best example of a card that has continued to rise in value regardless of the heavy groupthink regarding it is PSA 10 Rainbow/Hyper Rare Charizard. There were a lot of posts from very experienced members here when that card was selling at $350 that the price would settle at $150 or so and probably sit there for a long time. About 2 1/2 years later it’s roughly quadrupled in price.

The same sort of misguided groupthink, imo, is going on with SV49. If anybody wants to bet that the price of a PSA10 SV49 will be under $700 in 3 years, hit me up :wink:

3 Likes

We are still talking about underpriced Wotc? The thread topic is to discuss what is overpriced. I previously mentioned that English cards are underrated compared to Japanese Promo PSA cards, validating my argument, but everyone focused on defending Japanese cards and some are trying to call japanese people poor?

Let’s focus on what is overpriced.

If you think it may be japanese, that’s fine, which ones? Is everyone here trained to say the opposite of what the OP is asking? lol

I don’t see anything wrong with buying for perceived value. It’s possible to be a collector and do both. I personally don’t have incredibly high funds, so I forgo the expensive stuff for a time and focus on what I want someday. My running list is fluid, as is most people more than likely. As opposed to dumping exorbitant sums on something that’s too much for me at the moment. I slowly save for those. It’s possible to do both.

For example, vending series cards I see as undervalued. The art is unique and doubtfully ever coming to America. Not to mention, it’s tied together with the Masaki arts which I think will eventually boost the set’s popularity. I love this set and will keep it, but I bought it now because I perceive it as undervalued and I could afford it because it’s WAY cheaper when living in Japan.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with that. To each their own. Valuable contribution but now we talk about undervalued Japanese cards. Grats on purchase and enjoying Nihon.

If we can return to the topic at hand, What card is top of the list for overpriced that comes to mind?

haha, yeah we did get off-topic, I didn’t go back to read the original question, my bad.

Hmm, overpriced…Neo Genesis PSA 10 Typhlosion 18. Not sure why this thing recently skyrocket by 5x. I know Neo Genesis is growing in popularity, but I feel like it’s just running off the coattails of new people joining the hobby and seeing T17 values. Just a theory though, and one with little thought put into it at that.

1 Like

@dblast. All I can see is you trying to explain things in plain words but why can’t people in the post understand? Respect from my side brother. I personally think the overall price is still very unstable right now. Many temporary “Popular” cads are at a high risk being overpriced. Like the psa 9 T17 is a joke, and people offering 10k for the Neo lugia.

2 Likes

I feel like you’re running a marathon carrying the Weekend at Bernie’s dude. Let the poor guy drop for gosh sakes. He tiiiiiiired.

(Boomer reference, yep)

Burner?

Is this dblast’s 2nd or 3rd account? Are wotcs holos overpriced or is dblast just priced out? Find out next time on Dragon Ball Z.

11 Likes

Good reference. I used to buy sports cards and it is quite different in the aspect as you mentioned about potential rookies. I think that many of the long time experience members believe that it would settle due to supply. Like most of the sports cards in the 80s and 90s were mass produced, lowering the value of the majority of the cards which is why I see most sports card shops say they won’t even touch those cards with a 5 foot pole. I know their are exceptions in some of the sports cards during the modern era, maybe this is the exception in Pokemon.

1 Like

I think there will always be exceptions to the rule. The hyper charizard and shiny charizard may be those exceptions for modern cards. But the vast majority of modern cards will follow the same cycle. New set, prices peak, then decline. So almost all new set cards will be overvalued in the beginning. People want what’s new until the next thing comes out.

I strongly agree with the points made here about older cards, particularly WOTC first edition holos and key cards. I’d rather be investing high dollars into those than stockpiling as many SV 49s and hyper charizards as I can get my hands on. There are so many it would be like trying to catch the ocean in a bucket

2 Likes