Something new- What cards are overpriced?

Why does this post feel like it went through google translate 5 times before landing on english

10 Likes

BGS10 Black Label Charizard SV49

2 Likes

Last 1st edition base set Charizard has been sold for 75k usd, I think it’s overpriced, it means that 1 charizard is like 10 hitmonchan.
Other 1st edition base set holo are collected differently, because you are happy if you have 1 or 2 of them, it means that if a person sells his cards the price will not be hit.
Imagine if the Charizards of Gary will be sold, the price will decrease/tank a lot.
If there is a monopoly the cards are usually overpriced.

It’s not just about supply. The demand for Base Set Charizard is astronomically higher than any other card in this hobby.

And with regards to supply, PSA 10 1st edition Charizards don’t get added to the population report anymore.

7 Likes

First of all, why do you even care for financial opinions on ‘overpriced’ cards, when you don’t think that any true collector should be allowed to sell his/her items for a profit?

Secondly, I don’t agree with anything you say about the SV49 Shiny Zard. In fact, your arguments are so all over the place I don’t even know where to start.

Why is it ‘backwards’ to promote old Japanese cards? Most collectables tend to get more valuable with increasing age, why not Pokemon cards? With cards that are still being produced, you’ll never know how much supply there will be in the market in the end.
Also everyone and their dog grades their cards now, so almost all Shiny Zards that were produced will be availabe on the market in Gem Mint condition.

Also, what is wrong with cards that are easier to grade? Plus SV49 is one of the easiest cards to grade EVER, so your argument is contradictive nonsense in this case.

And lastly, “the artwork demands the extra”. The artwork by our beloved 5ban Graphics that was reused three times on different cards? Yeah sure, it REALLY stands out and demands a 3000$ premium MINIMUM.

11 Likes

As mentioned in my Are we in a bubble? thread, PSA 9 1st Edition Neo Genesis Pichu has gone from $46 to $520 in 8 months: www.psacard.com/auctionprices/tcg-cards/pokemon-neo-genesis-1st-edition/pichu-holo/values/1761531#g=9. There are currently 4 of them up for sale on eBay right now and 4 have sold in the past month alone; a grand total of 7 of them sold on eBay in the entirety of 2019, so I don’t believe this to be anything to do with a lack of supply - more like a surge in demand for whatever reason.

1 Like

Whether a card is overpriced can be very easily determined. If it finds a buyer, it isn’t overpriced, no matter how ridiculous the price looked to you. If the card sits there for months and just doesn’t get sold, it’s probably overpriced.

Now, overvalued is a completely different discussion.

2 Likes

Well said! I totally agree, as the market prices are driven by what buyers are willing to pay so saying something is ‘overpriced’ is a bit subjective. However, I struggle with this at times too as I don’t like to spend a boatload for my collection, but if a card is out of my price range, then someone else will snatch it up with the funds available to them. Some card prices might be overly inflated due to lack of availability or increased desirability, but the market price reflects the supply and demand of the card at the current point in time so can fluctuate, especially nowadays with the market craze.

3 Likes

Usually I’m fine with price increases and right now the tide rising (higher grades and exclusive cards) and the ships (more available counterparts) rising with them makes sense to me, but one card that rubs me the wrong way is PSA 9 unlimited Charizard. If I’m not mistaken the card was $150ish not long ago. I know I bought (and later sold mine) around that price, but that was a few years ago. I know this card is super iconic and has incredibly high demand always and that the 10 is not an easy card to acquire and that Shadowless and 1st Edition are out of reach for many collectors, but the $600 range just doesn’t sit right with me. This card has a pretty high pop and it’s not really the true chase Charizard. I can’t fully justify it but if I had to pick one candidate to have a retrace (maybe to like $400) it would be this one.

Every graded card above PSA 7.

PSA 8 Luvdisc cards way overpriced these days

Every card I own is undervalued, every card I want is overvalued.

22 Likes

I am going to take an alternate approach to this conversation but if we are talking collecting, how are you able to determine what is over-priced and under-priced? The price is determined on the collector and what they are willing to pay. I am thinking the only way to say something is overpriced is if you have a large amount of statistical data over long periods of time to determine that (if you want to get technical). I could just be over analyzing the thread.

I can just flip the original thread and say, these are overpriced:
www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Japanese-Charizard-Holographic-Pokemon-Base-Set-Card/272794142199?hash=item3f83cc45f7:g:HCMAAOSwfVJZh-Yd
www.ebay.com/itm/Machamp-1st-Edition-Pokemon-Card/202875583735?hash=item2f3c53bcf7:g:IPwAAOSwai5eGlP~
www.ebay.com/itm/Plusle-Pokemon-Card-MISPRINT-PLUDLE-HOLO-1-OF-A-KIND/324135823593?hash=item4b780028e9:g:MB4AAOSwtZpelgVz

1 Like

None of the WOTC cards are. The problem is that everyone wants PSA 9/10 1st editions. We are now at the point were that isn’t practical for a lot of collectors. They will need to get more comfortable collecting unlimited or lesser quality 1st edition cards.

1 Like

Those are not relevant as they are just bogus posts as we ALL know. What I believe they were referencing was growth of actual sales. Such as a 1st Ed T17 PSA 9 going from around $500 to $2500. Just a reference.

1 Like

@jawsh98, And the 1st Edition Neo Genesis boxes in that time went from $3,000 to $14,000.

3 Likes
  1. It’s a fair and interesting topic about what cards are overpriced :blush: You are twisting words out of context, why can’t a true collector sell items for profit? I like to buy cards that are underpriced and would expect them to sell for higher, if I chose to sell. To continue to sell cards for a loss is not a very good idea.

2. your opinion is flawed & 3) Backwards because people typically buy the japanese version because the english card is more expensive, look at modern cards pricing for similar holos. There are now some newer cards in english that replicate the japanese promos are undervalued. You could say the Japanese promos are overpriced because it’s a niche market compared to english cards, and easier to control lower pops (few japanese can afford to grade their $1 card for it to go up to $100s 4 years later.

Japanese cards are indeed easier to grade, even compared to sv49. A modern set that it gets 9/10s easily due to being new and minty, but you will notice older Japanese cards can still get 9/10s even if they are much older.

SV49’s artwork is in the eye of the beholder and is such that while there are people, like you that dislike the card design/designer, there are many more that will purchase (look at the sales data and number of graded sv49 will show it’s demand). Sv49 is the highlight of recent markets pushing cards above $400. It’s as if it’s a threat to those large bag holders of Japanese PSAs and they spend time to discredit modern value cards in support of Japanese cards to $5k+ . Again, number of grades and sales speak to the demand/beauty of sv49, and they are underpriced. Not many will sell their sv49 raw for even $250 nowadays.

I am with you and do not believe they’re overpriced. I believe many are frustrated because the cards are becoming out of reach, rather than reading the numbers and seeing how they all fluctuate as whole.

BTW, thanks for the new video today!

2 Likes

@dblast, how many SV49s do you own?

4 Likes

So you’re saying here that because not tens of thousands of people are collecting Japanese promo’s and they are niche they are overpriced? With this statement you imply that everything that is niche is overpriced? Or is this only true for Japanese cards?

*maybe I’m completely wrong about what you said here, if so, please correct me and give a bit of explanation*