Some little doodles I make for my eBay buyers - do you guys ever give buyers freebies?

I don’t sell slabs too often (like maybe 1-2 a week), so I’ve gotten in the habit of sketching the Pokemon on the slab to buyers for a fun surprise. I’m not a great drawer (have no background in art) and I do things freehand, but it’s been a fun break from the monotony of packing slabs. Also a bit of motivation for me to try and sell more so I can keep doodling lol.

Edit: Link to my eBay store for anyone interested

I list a few here, though I am no Mitsuhiro Arita haha. Just curious if anyone here also includes freebies for their buyers, like loose cards, notes, etc?

I don’t expect good ebay feedback or anything as a result, and I imagine some people probably find my drawings really bad and just throw them away haha, but I try to just enjoy the process.

48 Likes

I’ve done a few before but I never took pictures sadly. If it’s special for a friend or a bigger card sale I usually include a little something as a thank you.

1 Like

These are so cute, I’d love to receive a little sketch like this!! Funny enough, I have sellers throw in lil freebie extra cards often and I sometimes end up enjoying them more than the card i actually bought lol. Had a vending rhydon as a freebie once and now its a card ive made a space for in my binder and i look at it pretty frequently still! Its been a few years ive had it now lol

1 Like

Those sketches are cool! I usually will add in small freebies here and there on multi-item orders, or if it is something I made a large profit on selling. :joy: :man_shrugging: I even do it with non-Pokémon related orders. (Obviously the freebie will somewhat be related to the items the buyer purchased.) I think it is a nice eBay practice and I try to do it when I can.

That being said. I can’t stand it when a buyer specifically asks for me to throw in a freebie. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Now I want to buy something from you just to get a doodle!

5 Likes

these sketches are worth more than the slabs g :fire:

1 Like

So part of my 2024 New Year Resolution/Goals was to start selling some items on ebay. I’m planning to put some cheap raw single items up at the end of the month and definitely thought about including some freebies.

I drew these little doodles and thought it would be nice to receive a little thank you card regardless if its a $1 card or a $100+ card. Eventually I may add more random single cards but for now I just made a few of these :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Back when I first started my Ebay store, I didn’t have that many cards listed and, obviously, was not getting that many sales. To create a good experience for the buyers and to try to drum up feedback (and also because I enjoyed it), I would make little thank you notes and embroider the related pokemon on it (and have my wife write out “Thank you” because her handwriting is a lot more aesthetically pleasing :sweat_smile:). After I started to get more sales, I moved to tracing and coloring Pokemon, then to just tracing them, and then to freebie cards that might be somewhat related (same set, same species, etc.). I remember Butterfree was the very first one (and I’m pretty sure my very first sale too).

I’m glad I finally have somewhere to share these pictures because I really like they way they look (Sorry for the image dump!). I think these should be all of the ones that I made during my early selling days. I also made a few more of these for transactions with E4 members too that aren’t shown here.

23 Likes

Yo that’s sick! How long do these take to do?

1 Like

This act of kindness is a rare trait and an exceptionally heart-warming one at that. I have great appreciation when I buy from Japan as little notes and doodles are quite a common occurrence. It’s something I wish the West would partake in more often so well done those of you that do.

3 Likes

Wish i had gotten one of these, they look great!

2 Likes

Thanks! I can’t even remember, but I think it would take close to an hour to a few hours depending on how big the design is. But I also tend to work slower and do things while distracted too.

1 Like

as a buyer, I appreciate any and all extra free items…so long as they aren’t those fake Pikachu GX Vmax Mega gold metal cards

1 Like

I love this thread idea. I actually have an envelope of little drawings, signatures, trinkets, and even cool stamps I got from different sellers. Working up enough critical mass to start a binder.

Since I buy everything online and have never traded in person, this really makes the hobby more personal and enjoyable for me. Reminds me of having a pen pal when I was 8 years old.

As a buyer I love getting stuff like this. Always an instant add to my saved sellers list

1 Like

Very cool. I do not, as I’m not that talented to do them quickly enough. Still, it’s very cool. and your "doodles’ are quite good! :grin:

What’s your ebay store?

1 Like

Thank you! Here’s a link :slight_smile:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?item=225969110409&rt=nc&_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l161211&_ssn=w16807

I sometimes add a sketch on a blank business card as a thank you, here’s some examples:

IMG_9459

IMG_9461

11 Likes

These are so wonderful!! Good job! :smiley: It’s a fun thing to include, and really shows some love put into the endeavor and surprise for the customer on the receiving end. When I get the occasional extra detail like that thrown in, I’m always so appreciative knowing someone sat down and put pen to paper to make my experience of opening a package so much more enjoyable, and the card or slab more special. :slight_smile: Good idea, I love seeing people do that sort of thing for others!

2 Likes

Love the lilypad Mew!

1 Like