Slabmags or Graded Guard?

I have both and love both , I like the sleek designs of both but there are pros and cons of both Graded Guards / Slabmags that make we wonder what would be the best for the high end slabs we collectors own.

I currently have my grail inside of a Slabmags case because the added feature Slabmags has is UV protection … BUT the slab is not secure inside the case and moves around with the pinch of space in there.

Graded Guard has partnered with another business that makes acrylic cases that holds graded guard slabs and that case provides UV protection and it looks pretty sexy yet it also looks chunky but that may be also great too hold and possibly added protection when dropped.

So I am torn lol what does the community think is best for those grail slabs :

Graded Guard + Acrylic Display

Or

Slabmags

:thinking:

Edit : # not sponsored

Also too the comments about why would you want too protect a slab when it’s already a plastic case holder … I want too lol My preference just not sure which too keep or possibly buy since still on the fence about the acrylic case from graded guard / phantom or keep the slabmag :man_shrugging:

I feel like most would want too protect there grails while have it look pretty great when displayed :laughing:

Are you looking for something which helps you display the card or simply something to offer more protection?

1 Like

hey bro I heard you want to get your card protected so we made a protector for the protector for the protector of your card

Jokes aside, I don’t see much value in these products unless you have a very high end card that you are traveling with or transporting. Slabs are bulky enough on their own and not likely to get damaged unless you are being intentionally dumb.

20 Likes

Ill say it again; i have never met any collector who unironically uses these things without being sponsored by them

7 Likes

I prefer gradedguard. More tightfitted plus it looks and feels better.

Slab-ception

3 Likes

Oh man, I guess I’m the first to admit to being a guilty party here!

I have GradedGuard cases on some of my slabs.

I have them because I like the extra pop of colour & sometimes put the cards on display for the day - the cases let them stand freeform & it saves hassle of putting stands etc out just for that day.

…That was my confession.

5 Likes

Guess he needs to meet more collectors. :smile:

3 Likes

I think stuff like ‘cases for your case’s case’ is niche enough that it flies under the radar in conversations most of the time.

Nice to know I’m not the only unsponsored collector that uses them though! High five :laughing:

2 Likes

It’s quite popular in the area I live, demand is pretty substantial. And I often see many such caseusers on social media as well. Thus it’s not really surprising for me to see people using them :blush:.

BTW I’m not sponsored. I genuinely like the cases. It really does make the card pop more.

2 Likes

Seems like the classic solve a problem that does not exist then convince people there is a problem to sell whatever you can think of.

I cant imagine a signifigant number of people are storing them in open windows where uv goes rampant or people are breaking the plastic left and right from the 20 inch drop they may take when moving them out of the display cabinet.

But ill admit this hobby never ceases to amaze me with what people do. I used to think i understood why people do things but thats all become convoluted after covid and i no longer understand a lot of what goes on.

1 Like

I wouldn’t rely on either if you’re just going for storage features over pure aesthetic.

I think “UV protection” in general gives too much confidence since it’s often exaggurated/limited/still wouldn’t work in direct sunlight. You’re better off creating a setup that minimizes UV light to a negligible degree even for unprotected cards, then any UV protection on top of that is just a bonus

I do prefer the Graded Guards though. It fits snug and whatever polymer material is used feels nice. I think another case on top of that is overkill, but that’s just my preference

6 Likes

Neither/None

I’ve found the Slabs guard topic gimmicky since the first ones came out. There’s already an existing plastic case around the card when it comes back from CGC PSA BGS ETC. It makes no sense to me to pay more $$ for another layer of plastic to protect the layer of plastic or make it more colorful. Plus when PSA updates their slab certs again you could use that guard money instead to re-slab it with the new cet. Just don’t take your cards to the beach and lay them out on the sand facing the sun and they will be fine. Not my cup of tea.

1 Like

Graded Guard is hella cool. I use them for more of the high end cards. #notsponsored

3 Likes

The company they partnered with is this one:

I’m not a fan of the wrap-around things for slabs but if I ever get my PSA grail I will be ordering one of those ones by Phantom haha

1 Like

I’m uh. Just careful with my cards.

1 Like

On that note what the heck are people doing with these slabs? I’d say 9/10 graded cards I get, the cases are scratched up like crazy. I know they come straight from PSA on occasion with a scuff or scratch or two, but most slabs I get are scratched up. I always do a quick PlastX wipe down when I get a card in and that almost always does the trick, but still.

3 Likes

I wish man … I wish lol would help me but more slabs :smiling_face_with_tear: I was able too acquire a 1st edition psa 9 Charizard and I want the best protection for it and yes it would be great too display it so would like a nice looking protector

1 Like

This is what I am wondering about ! I think those acrylic cases look so good but not sure if I want sleek or chunky :thinking:

We can pay £1000’s extra for cards in a plastic case, but £10 for a coloured frame is a step too far?

I love this community. :joy:

I just plonked both of these cards straight out of a storage case; one in a GradedGuard, the other just in a clear sleeve…

Aesthetically, which one is more eye-catching?

(The grade 9 isn’t in a frame because I rarely get that case of slabs out, just for anyone wondering why a PSA 6 is in a GradedGuard instead).

3 Likes