Should we reach out to Poketubers?

This 100%.

I don’t know how I came accross E4 but I know that it was when my interest in collecting was increasing and I was starting to conduct a lot more research and somehow stumbled across this gem.

I like how it wasn’t thrust on to me by a hype channel but rather came about through just simply wanting to know more about Pokemon card collecting as a whole.

1 Like

Agreed

Read through some of the comments on those youtube channels. Then decide for yourself if those are the type of people you want to talk with here. They are there for a reason, and we are here for a reason. Give them time to mature and learn, then they very well end up being future members.

PokeSoup is one of the only Poketubers I am subscribed to and have been for well over a year now, he seems like a cool guy.

The Poketuber community has changed a lot since 10 years ago all I hear of is Unlisted Leaf and Leonhart, sometimes a Primetimepokemon but he’s been on youtube for so long. From what I have seen, I don’t believe its necessary to reach out to them . As some have already voiced they will find the forum and join themselves when they have the interest. Took me a while but I found my way here.

There were some poketubers with really nice collections and pack/box breaks: PokeredlandsCA, slayerofmca, UnownTV, thesmgquest, FlashbackPokemon, Pokepics, mr55771, souske222 and Pokecollection to name a few, I wonder what they’re doing now.

I remember those days. Youtube was my first social media that I used regarding Pokemon. Guys like them did it because they wanted to, rather than hope for it to take off and make money. A few you missed that I can think of are chaostorrent, gskillz818, and the guy who started it all, MrPokeman123. I wish so badly that I could get in contact with him. His videos are some of my earliest memories of pokemon, and I’d almost pay to watch some of them again.

Also forgot to mention that those guys would probably see the site as a sponsor and want some sort of compensation for shouting out anything.

I think with reaching out to poketubers, it depends on what the vision of the future of the forum is. If our vision is to gain x members by the end of 2018, definitely!

I see no reason why we should limit ourselves to the members we have here. If this hobby is growing at the rate that everyone says, then why not make room for more members? Long gone are the days of UPCCC where we literally needed to know someone to get onto this forum. We have new members by the dozen every week! If we want this forum to thrive and become the next pokebeach or serebii for information pertaining to cards, there needs to be more talk about it out there.

Sure Scott has his videos, but if you don’t know Scott, you won’t find the forum. He posted a lot on pokegym back in the day, which is how people found their way here. Now with pokegym in its state, you have facebook (where people berate it with their own pages constantly so it is harder to get new members here when there it is so easy to sign in and BAM 50 different pages on merch and cards) or youtube/insta (where you have a younger audience).

Why not? What’s the worst that can happen? We have already seen a lot of younger members coming here from Scott’s videos!

How could I have forgotten MrPokeman123, chaostorrent and gskillz818 :open_mouth:. Totally agree with you there are some sadly that I can’t remember their usernames anymore but would love to go back and watch some of their videos.

I don’t think reaching out to them is the smartest move. Call me elitist (you’re right) but I like this place the way it is: serious collectors with some amount of knowledge and Pokesyn. People that are actually serious WILL find this place organically. Scott has enough buzzwords in his video titles that anyone looking for any serious kind of information pertaining to sets, PSA grading, eBay affairs, etc. will find them on Google. It’s not THAT hard to find this place.

If you think UnlistedLeaf knows nothing about the cards, imagine how little the people he would bring here will know. It doesn’t seem to be in the best interest of the site when these people flood in in mass amounts. Smaller guys that aren’t dedicated “hype channels?” Go ahead. Pokesoup (member here) I don’t believe talks about this site (I don’t watch all of his videos (but I do like them)) but promotes reasonable and mostly correct ideas. It would not do harm for him to advertise the site to his viewers because I think that only the ones that take serious interest would join and participate. This is a group of a group (viewers of a knowledgable channel → serious people) that would work here I think.

Some people join Reddit or Virbank or something and stay there which is okay I suppose. I can speak from experience on Reddit: it sucks. Me and Quaador and a couple others hold down the fort with factual information. The general lack of knowledge there is scary considering it self-advertises as a place for collectors. Aside from people looking for free appraisals of fake cards spamming the shit out of the page, the knowledge particularly in the field of graded cards is stupid low. They know very well they don’t know what they’re talking about but they’ll still bleat shit out at genuine new people asking questions. They can be very persuasive in their misdirection. I always reference eFour when I can. I believe the people that found Reddit “deserve” to at least know about this site and I’m sure several people have joined from there.

That was all over the place. Basically, I really think there are adequate ways of finding the site should one want to find a serious place to talk about cards. That being said, there are smaller groups of people (not under the category of UnlistedLeaf) could be reached out to a little.

3 Likes

Expecting only 1-2 replies, just came from Thanksgiving break

1 Like