Should we reach out to Poketubers?

I'm watching Maxmoefoe, and love his sense of humbleness; watching the video now in that he doesn't want special attention because he is a popular youtuber, so that got me thinking, should we reach out to poke tubers i.e Unlisted, Leonhard, Maxmoefoe, if we can or should we just stay underground like the poke-hipsters we are, hahah

What good would reaching out to them do? Why?

Iā€™m not sure if we want a large audience coming from the likes of Unlistedleaf and leonhart.

Many of them are kids without much knowledge of the hobby. While that isnā€™t at all a problem, I think it could include many new users who join for a short period, and try to sell, donā€™t read the rules, and ask prices about cards that have an easily determinable price from ebay.

On the other hand, it could be an opportunity for the viewers to learn more about the cards, and get more interested in graded cards. They certainly donā€™t learn much about pokemon cards from watching unlistedleaf, as he isnā€™t even interested in the hobby, he just uses youtube to make money.

2 Likes

Exactly; that could what separates us from Virbank, people just trying to make a quick sale vs us that spends weeks even months before we commit to a sale, plus theres so much more out there than just base set i.e. Trophy cards, snap cards, Japanese promos that people genuinely want to know about but donā€™t really know where to learn it

Iā€™d rather spend a weekend camping alone with my Mother-in-Law than interact with any of those trash ā€˜hypeā€™ channels.

8 Likes

Is she at least a good cook

1 Like

Certainly not the most active posting person here by a long-shot; however, I spend A LOT of time on here reading through threads. Personally, I would HATE having a flood of new members join the forum after hearing about it from these ā€œPoke-Tubersā€. Not trying to group every new member together; however, itā€™s always the new members who post all these ridiculous threads on pricing for something where there are HUNDREDS of active / sold listings on eBay, or those who donā€™t read the rules and try to sell there collection / bump there thread 10x everyday.

E4 doesnā€™t need the flood of 10 year-olds who watch these videos; unless you want to start reading more about everyone who has a PreRelease Raichu and/or PSA Conspiracies - *** cough *** guy who tried to tell us he spent $100.00 / Card on grading and super over-declared his cards only to find-out PSA ā€œdamaged themā€ haha

1 Like

I know Iā€™m more of an outside member of this community as I go through phases where I collect and donā€™t collect. However, personally I think it would change the feel of this forum. Much of the conversation here is very in-depth, mature and sophisticated (well as far as you can be when talking about Pokemon cards haha). I think that would mostly change if you introduced that part of the collecting community to this one.

8 Likes

I think the issue here is that we can allow these people (generally kids) learn the wrong things, and get into custom cards and what not.

OR we can be the difference, yeah we would have to put up with it, but nobody else is going to teach them right from wrong, so this site can offer guidance in the right way. Wether that be about collecting about cards you didnā€™t know about, collecting responsibly, or steering away from fake cards and shady business practices.

Most people that are led to this site wonā€™t necessarily be long term, but we can gain a few great members, and prevent some people from doing the wrong thingsā€¦

I say the more the merrier. Let them flood in! @milhouse can do all the work separating the wheat from the chaff.

1 Like

My opinion on this is if they are engaged enough in the collecting hobby they will naturally find their way to efour. No need to attract people that are only here because they saw one of the hype-youtubers mention efour.

2 Likes

Where the hell those uploads

1 Like

Heā€™s got nothing better to do anyway :grin:

3 Likes

I certainly help that percentage:)

1 Like

PokeSoup is on efour because he wanted to be here himself. He has a nice channel, no hyping just honest enthusiasm. Same goes for GradedGroudon, real guys that are in the hobby for themself, not because their Youtube channel is their main (and/or only) source of income.

If Youtubers want to create solid content theyā€™ll do research themself and figure out soon enough that Bulbapedia and PokeBeach are poor sources. As milhouse said; rather spend my time doing other things. Channels like Unlisted and Leonhart are a lost cause.

3 Likes

Dont be hating on my Bulba

Bulba is a good place to start with. But if any Youtuber wants to create solid content about e.g. the Pokemon Snap cards other than ā€œOMG THIS IS SUPER RARE!!11ā€ Bulbapedia will not give all answers and theyā€™ll come across efour via Google soon enough and find out that there is more info out there. ā€˜Usā€™ updating Bulbapedia can only go as far as the Wiki system of Bulbapedia allows limiting use of high quality scans, side-by-side comparison, PSA scans and registries and so on.

oh yea for the super rare cards like the battle festa, ancient mew etc, bulba can only help us so much.It is very useful though, and when you delve into the more elite and very limited cards here is a great place!
I use bulba for info and also the card set lists and if i want some info about a specific card or product ill pop there first ā€¦depending on what the items are

Iā€™m pretty new here and itā€™s already been said before but I feel that if someone has a high enough interest in the hobby then they will find E4. I found it through watching Scottā€™s youtube videos and honestly, his videos and reading posts on this site have helped my knowledge on the WOTC era grow tremendously, and they have definitely helped keep my interest in the hobby

I donā€™t think reaching out to the big name youtubers is a good idea for all of the reasons already said. But if thereā€™s a way to help market scottā€™s youtube account then I think that will be most beneficial; again, the people who find his videos interesting will find their way to the forum. I love the experience and knowledge that tons of members on this forum have, and I donā€™t think it will be beneficial to advertise the forum to leonhart and unlistedleafā€™s audiences

1 Like