Should promos be kept sealed or crack them open and submit them to grading

Hey guys, I saw Rusty posted a pic of his special delivery charizard and he keeps them in the plastic seal and submitted them. I ordered the on the ball set and I still have a couple of special delivery zards still their seal and one I took out. Planning on submitting all 3 should you keep them in the plastic or take them out?

Psa I only use them. I know if you are selling the card non graded selling in the wrap goes for a premium but if your submitting to psa I wasn’t sure?

Promo collector here, hello!

In my opinion, the card itself and the sealed product are two completely separate items. I collect all my promos raw and unsealed like any other card, and this is how I collect them graded, but I also collect sealed copies as a supplement to my collection.

My suggestion is to separate the two options in your mind — they’re not the same collectable. What would you rather have in your collection? One or the other? Maybe both? But I don’t think of it as the “correct” way to secure a specific card and instead treat them as multiple options to collect that card.

8 Likes

Grade the card would be my choice. Its also $30 cheaper to grade this way

1 Like

This is helpful information - sealed vs. raw conceptually are two completely different things. Luckily in your case, if you have multiple copies (and you already opened one) you could do really both the options you mentioned: submit both a raw copy and a sealed one!

If you didn’t watch his youtube video on the cards (linked here), it’s worth noting that at least for his submission, his sealed copies of the card were encased in the older style PSA slabs, which leave a lot of wiggle room for the sealed card. This is potentially a problem for him, but in general he is playing the long game with these cards for his business - he is hoarding a bunch of them in hopes of them gaining value over years to come rather than building a personal collection. However, that does not mean that if you submitted them that’s what slab they would use for you necessarily, just something to consider; it would personally annoy me if I got something graded and it was able to move all around inside the slab. Unless you are trying to flip or consider selling later down the line, I would take that into consideration as well in terms of how you want to handle it.

If I’m personally grading cards, I prefer raw ones being submitted, but again, individual preference!

I would prefer to have the actual opened card in my collection. That could be either graded (opened) or just in a binder raw.

I also do not see the value added of PSA’s opinion on a clear plastic wrapper, when the card inside could have poor centering, print lines, etc.

If I was to buy a sealed promo, I would probably just buy one that was ungraded as I’d expect the price to be much cheaper. The storage benefits would be the only reason I might pick the graded option as I currently just put all my sealed promos in an old tin so they don’t get damaged.

1 Like

Purely my own personal opinion but I think the graded sealed cards look terrible

20 Likes

I personally prefer that single card promos be opened and graded since there is nothing special about the wrap and you can already see the entire card. You gain no pleasure from opening it because you can already see it in its entirety, so you might as well grade it. I think the value in sealed promos (and sealed anything really) comes when there is actually something to be revealed inside :innocent:

3 Likes

I don’t like how the sealed cards look in a graded case. The ratio of case to card isn’t appealing to me.

2 Likes

this happened to me recently. I accidentally shipped it in the seal and PSA emailed me if they wanted me to grade the seal or if they had my permission to open the card and grade that.

2 Likes