Sealed promos grading with PSA.

Hi guys,

I have a collection of sealed promos that I would like to get graded, and need advice on whether I should send them to PSA in their original sealed plastic wraper or unwrap them instead.

Say you wanted to grade a sealed ancient mew for example, would you unwrap it before sending to PSA or send it as is and let PSA open it themselves before grading?

My main considerations are:

• By not removing the card from the original wrapping it is less likely to get damaged by dust particles.

• The person grading it is more likely to give it a higher grade as they receive it in full mint condition.

• PSA’s packaging guidelines video only show cards out of their original packaging, so I am concerned they will either refuse to grade a card that is still in its original wrapper, or simply put it in the slab still sealed, which will likely make it less appealing aesthetically.

Please let me know if any of the above makes sense or if I am being overly cautious. Any insight or past experiences from members who faced the same conundrum is greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :grin:

The plastic wrapping they use for promo cards tends to degrade over time, and this can cause damage to the card.

Unwrap it.

That’s all I needed to hear. Thanks Milhouse.

No card will be encased in their cello wrap.

I’ve done it both ways but, have settled on opening it prior to shipping because that’s the only way you can pregrade the card properly. Contrary to what you said, cards are not necessarily mint just because they’re wrapped in cellophane.
Another reason that you should open it is, if you don’t the research department will and I don’t like anybody with scissors near my cards;)