Should I Recase CGC 9.5 to the New 10s

Hey guys,

Just wanted to hear perspectives here about recasing the 9.5s to 10s while there’s still a few days left to do so at a discount. After looking at the labels side by side, I personally think the blue labels match well with Pokemon and wonder if you guys think it’s possible in the future we see old label 9.5 go for higher than the new black 10s.

Also just wondering if there’s any Canadians here that have graded with CGC before and what the custom duty situation is like. Do they ship them back as returns or are we expected to pay the duty on the declared value of the cards. Because if that were the case, I don’t think I’d consider recasing any high value cards. Save $5 bucks to pay couple hundred on duty.

My opinion is that CGC should have paid for the shipping and done this for free. Since they don’t. Then I don’t see the purpose. It’s probably more about people wanting 10 to appear on the label.

That’s why the company says, come to us. Then you should get a 10!

$$$$

Just so you know they extended the deadline to the end of October now so you have more time to think about it. If you like the cards you have in blue then keep it! I kept a couple of mine and recased a few others

2 Likes

Really? Do you have a link to this update?

Sure!

https://www.cgccards.com/news/article/12095/website-updates-complete/

10 > 9.5

I’ve shipped some to be recased from Canada, there should be no customs charges (and there wasn’t for me). Although the return shipping wasn’t cheap

1 Like

I’m not going to. I am not a seller and I like the blue labels better visually. Also, not sure if there is objective data on this but I’ve seen that gem mint 10s/9.5s are easier to get now.

1 Like

It is literally cheaper for me to crack my CGC 9.5s and send them to PSA to be regraded (most likely to a 10) than it is for me to take CGC up on their 5 dollar reholder and relabel.

Depending on your location it might be the same.

I do prefer the blue labels myself as well. That said, I like the new grading scale changes. I’ve always felt CGC 10s were just too stringent to the point of being ridiculous. Almost no 10s were given out and if you were to resubmit many of the 10s, my bet is that many would come back as a 9.5. The range of what was considered a 10 was too thin for it to be accurate imo.

I would probably end up recasing some and keeping some as the old blue labels though. That said, I am facing a serious dilemma on whether or not I should recase the venusaur 13 graded CGC 9.5 (old label) to a 10. I keep flip flopping on it and can’t decide.

Imho I would crack and send to PSA seems like the only real option atm

Why is that? Lol

Probably shipping to Australia

But wouldn’t it still be equally as expensive to ship from PSA and the grading cost would be triple the reholder cost?

I just checked for myself and assuming a $15 grading fee with PSA, for me 2 cards is a break even between regrading with PSA and reslabbing with CGC.

If you’re selling the cards I guess you’d want to factor in the opportunity cost between CGC 10 and PSA 10 as well but that’s a completely different point.

I sent in 24 cards but I live in the UK and so I could use the London office. I’m still waiting for them to be sent back from London as I know they arrived reslabbed last Wednesday so that’s a bit slow and my account just shows them as sent back (from the date they left America).

I’d say it’s worth it for 1. Valuable jumps or 2. If you intend to use CGC in future and don’t want a mix of blue and black slabs.

Given I like CGC as a company for their price and speed it was an easy decision for me, especially when it was a 1st edition base Raichu going from 9.5 to a 10, which is their highest grade at the moment with a small population.

For those saying crack and go PSA, I’ve had some wild grades from both PSA and CGC so I wouldn’t be confident in my card going from a 9 to a 9 between the two companies. I’d rather sell it and buy it again already graded. But maybe I don’t have as keen an eye as you do.

1 Like

Interesting, didn’t know it was so expensive for international shipping with CGC. Feel for you guys