Should I buy this shining set?

Considering purchasing a shining set. Guy wants around 2700$. Thoughts?

I can’t speak to the value being good or not, I just wanted to say that when looking up individual prices to compare I’d personally treat those CGC cards as PSA 6.

It’s either totally random that those few cards are CGC, or the person specifically went out of their way to regrade damaged cards with CGC to try to add them to the lot. Without seeing them up close first, I’d assume the latter just to be safe.

5 Likes

Agree with the CGC /PSA argument. Seen alot of CGC 7/8s looking like PSA 5/6.

These shining cards do not often sell locally in my country, so might purchse it. If i buy from abroad its +25% tax🙃

4 Likes

No charizard bummer. In all seriousness though if you want the set then yeah go for it. Be a good way to knock a lot of them off the list.

1 Like

Yeah. Time is a resource. What’s that time worth?

Cant say if the price is right but what I can say is that if you want to get all the shinings this is good way to knock most of them. I collected shinings before covid boom and back then they were lot cheaper and lot more available than now but it still took a lot of time and effort.

So if the grade is not what you’re after then this is good way to start a set and usually if buying large parts of a set in one swoop there is wiggle room for price since it is most of the time much harder to sell many cards at once.

Quick Search Estimate:
Kabutops - $250
Gyarados - $400
Steelix - $450
Mewtwo - $450
Tyranitar - $300
Magikarp - $200
Raichu - $250
Celebi - $200
Noctowl - $170
TOTAL - $2,670
So, $2,700 seems fair

4 Likes

Sadly the steelix and Magikarp sold seperatly, but trying to snag the rest for around 1870$.

Gyarados and Tyranitar looked clean, so the CGC grades seem legit.

Aw, no CHORIZORD? Too bad they aren’t all one grading company. Are you trying to keep them in a personal collection or sell them?

Mainly for long term hold/collection. Really enjoy the neo shining cards, and hopefully they appreciate with the rest of vintage.

Just a word of caution, unlimited Shining cards are numerous and are often graded highly (look at the PSA 9 and 10 pop reports). I would not expect a lot of appreciation from these unlimited cards in grades under a PSA 9.

2 Likes

Good point. Just hard to find good cards to purchase locally. This shining set is the first interesting for sale in a while.

Might skip this set if i dont get a better deal, and hold on for something more rare/scarce.

1 Like

If you love the cards and your availability to them outside of the U.S. is limited, I think that you should buy them. I just wanted to caution the investor mindset on these specific ones. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It might be worth cracking the CGC 8.5’s and regrading with PSA, just a thought.

Here are the photos of the CGC cards. Looks better than other CGC 7/8s I have seen.

It’s hard to tell if the shining Gyarados is a double Holo, need to see it in different lighting

These cards tends to appreciate, at least in the past 6 years, they had.

The rate is much slower tho so not much to worry there.