Shadowless PSA 9 holo set VS 1st Edition Zard PSA 9

A Shadowless psa 9 holo set would run about the same as a 1st Edition Zard PSA 9.

1. Which would you rather have?

2. Do you believe both options will increase at the same rate? Or will one end up being worth more than the other?

I’m interested in hearing opinions on this.

Personally, I’m big into the Shadowless Base Set right now! Mainly because I really missed-out on the 1st Ed. Base Set; and really don’t want to make that same mistake again with the Shadowless Base Set.

I think that the 1st Ed. Base Set will always hold more value than the Shadowless Base Set. However, I really think that Shadowless Base Set will eventually become a close-second to 1st Ed. My only concern with the Shadowless is the PSA POP Report because these cards weren’t designated as Shadowless right out of the gate - like 1st Ed. So, the current POP Report isn’t completely accurate when talking about the Holo Cards (R. / Un. / C. / E. to a much lesser extent).

It’ll be interesting to see what the future holds for these cards!

2 Likes
  1. Id rather have a full set than just one card.

2. Charizard is wiser as an investment. A lot more popular and easier to sell with it being 1 card.

I don’t think you can compare them just because the price for both now are roughly the same price as you say. Buy what makes you happiest.

1. If I didn’t already have a 1st edition set I’d want a full set, otherwise I’d want a PSA 9 1st ed. zard.

2. This is a tough one because I think that a PSA 9 shadowless zard will close in on a 1st edition zard once the scarcity of shadowless becomes more realized. And then if the shadowless zard closes the gap, you also then have all the other shadowless holos to pull up the overall value. I don’t think the PSA 9 shadowless zard will ever pass 1st edition, but an entire shadowless PSA 9 holo set might pass one 1st edition PSA 9 zard

2 Likes

I love Shadowless cards. The 1st Edition Charizard in PSA 9 form is a big time heavy hitter, that’s for sure. But the Shadowless set is no joke either. Extremely tough question, but personally, as a collector, I would rather have the Shadowless PSA 9 set. Shadowless holos just look so clean, and their rarity/scarcity rivals (possibly even surpasses) 1st Edition. Simply my opinion.

Tbh I don’t have enough room to display/appreciate a full PSA set. I’ve had my PSA 9 1st ed. zard for over a year now in a display case with lights and it looks super badass. I’ve tried to collect more stuff that I enjoy like booster boxes and other cards but it just doesn’t suit my setup so i’m content with that 1 card. It’s the 1 card I won’t sell as long as I am financially able to afford it. But I mean if I had much more room the full PSA set displayed in a frame on a wall or something would look pretty sweet too hahahaha

1 Like

I’m more of a set person so I’d take the whole set. I’d recommend choosing the one you like more.

But if I was only interested in profit it would depend on the how long I’d have to wait to cash out. If I wanted to sell in the next few months, no question I’d take the zard. If we’re looking on the order of a few years, I’d lean more toward the shadowless since I feel they are currently a bit underappreciated. If we’re talking 20+ years, I’d go with the zard since the ceiling price is probably much higher.

This is all useless speculation from some dude on the Internet though. Just buy cards you like.

1 Like

Good question. I don’t think you can go wrong either way. I’d favor the Shadowless set, but strictly in terms of investment I think it’s better buying the 1 card than a full holo set. It would be easier to move.

The thing is you limit your buyer pool. Maybe you have a dozen buyers lined up for several of your Shadowless Holos, but they don’t want the whole set so you either split it or sit on it for months waiting for the right buyer. 1st Ed PSA 9 you can probably flip within a day at full market value when it’s time to cash out. :blush:

A big upside to the set is that card values can leverage each other. In other words if some of them go down in price and others go up they can balance each other and reduce your risk. With just Charizard you don’t have that.

if charizard starts decreasing in value I would be surprised if all other Pokémon cards weren’t in tandem.

1 Like

That’s a very simplistic way of looking at it.

1st base Charizard isn’t perfectly correlated with every core set Pokémon collectable.

There was a huge surge of interest in the card but not everything jumps at the same time or grows at the same rate.

E.g.: Shadowless 9 Zard has had much stronger growth than 1st 9 Zard last year.

That’s not to say this will remain the same this year, shadowless Zard was just undervalued at $400 (or less) this time last year while everyone was focusing on 1st.

Original comment was comparing risk of full shadowless set with 1st edition zard psa 9. My point is overall that 1st edition zard will likely always remain the most conservative investment. My comment wasn’t about short term fluctuations or what happened over the past year. I’m considering long term risk, if 1st edition psa 9 zard shows a steady decline in value I’d be willing to bet everything else is declining too.

Again not talking about psa 9 zard gradally correcting over 2 years while everything else goes up, I can see that happening to some extent.

Considering 20+ years from now, which would be the safer investment? I still say 1st psa 9 zard.