PSA9 1st edition vs PSA10 unlimited - holo set collecting

I am considering between collecting a holo set, I am not sure which I want to focus on first. Can we discuss the pros and cons of each.

From a pricing standpoint it seems that PSA10 unlimited will be cheaper.

From a pop standpoint, it seems some cards are more uncommon for 10 unlimited and some for 9 1st Ed. But they are generally pretty reasonable.

Is there any other considerations that I should be looking at? I imagine there are similar market risks between the two sets.

Collect what you truly want imo. I’d say 1st edition because 1st edition cards need no introduction. I actually prefer 9s over 10s nowadays as well :stuck_out_tongue:

If its base set i would take a psa 7 1st edition over an unlimited 10.

7 Likes

Hah yeah. I guess I have interest in both, this is more gathering research and other peoples info on the markets to make a decision on which I should consider first!

Care to elaborate what brings you to that conclusion

I think there isn’t a right answer, but I can recall the consensus in other similar threads was for lower grade 1st edition.

1 Like

Because 1st editions for base set are much rarer compared to 1st edition from other sets.

For most cards a psa 7/8 1st edition is around the price of a unlimited 10 so that would be a better comparison than a 9 as those are way more expensive.

The history, scarcity, and color difference between 1st Ed/Shadowless vs Unlimited make 1st Ed PSA 9 the clear winner in my opinion

5 Likes

Shadowless 9’s is a very nice inbetween option too.
Much cheaper than unlimited 10 and you get the 1st edition look and colors.

Currently building a set myself too because the value is just insanely good right now for shadowless 9’s

3 Likes

Interesting, I was actually thinking that the cards I would be after would be in the $1-3K price point, which is higher than most of the PSA10 unlimited cards.

As far as price stability, is one more stable than the other? We are on the down turn it seems, so maybe there are more drops to come?

I haven’t done enough research on them yet, but maybe some of you guys who are more in touch with the market can comment

Prices for 1st edition base / shadowless are pretty stable over the last year.
For example a psa 10 unlimited gyarados is around 500, a 1st edition psa 9 around 1400 and a shadowless 9 is around 250.

I really like the look of 1st edition and shadowless much more.

Not the best pic but its not just the stamp thats different, its a complete different card imo.

Wow is a 9 shadowless really that cheap? Seems like really good value. How are the 10 shadowless?

They are basically extinct, i wouldnt even bother with them as most of them have pops less than 50 and they are often not for sale.

Prices of shadowless 10’s are around 10x the price of a 9.:sweat_smile:

1 Like

This is the answer right here. Unlimited will always be around because it was produced so much.

The colors are also not as nice as 1st ed/shadowless

1 Like

Wow, the more I look at them, the more intrigued I am. Maybe I can add these as a side collection as well. The 1st ed are so iconic though.

Would you rather a PSA 6/7 1st ed or a 9 shadowless?

1 Like

I would personally not go below a psa 8 for any card. But that’s just me

A 1st edition psa 7 vs a shadowless 9 is a really tough decision for me.

Shadowless 9’s are a bit cheaper and they are
pretty hard to grade. A freshly pulled shadowless holo will basically get a psa 8 grade instead of a 9.

1st edition is the best of the best no matter the grade.
The pop for Psa 7 1st edition is increasing slightly faster than shadowless 9’s.

Everyone will know what 1st edition means and shadowless is a bit more niche, although i think almost everyone knows by now what shadowless is.

Looking at prices i think we can conclude that most collectors prefer a psa 9 1st edition over unlimited 10 and a unlimited 10 over a shadowless 9.

1st edition psa 7 or unlimited 10 its about equal as prices are roughly the same.

Psa 7 1st edition > shadowless psa 9 when you just look at prices, although i slightly prefer shadowless 9’s.

Wow why are the shadowless so hard to grade? I just looked at the pops of a couple compared to 1st Ed, and it’s a bit shocking the % of 9/10

I guess the quality control was not so good back in the day as they were basically the first english pokemon cards ever produced.

I have a few flawless shadowless cards and even they didnt get the 10 grade.

1 Like