Set of the Fortnight #49 - Japanese ADV-P/PLAY Promos

The random picker’s choice this time is:

ADV-P & PLAY Promos
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ADV-P_Promotional_cards_(TCG)
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/PLAY_Promotional_cards_(TCG)
Discuss:
Favorite cards in the 'set’Worst cards in the 'set’How you feel about this ‘set’ in general
I’ve grouped these together, since their release date periods overlap, and there aren’t too many in both promo sets. The ADV (Pokémon Advanced) era was basically the first halve of the EX era for Japanese releases. The ADV promos were released between January 2003 and February 2004, and the PLAY promos were available between January 2003 and January 2006.
The PLAY promos Pokémon Player Club promos which could be bought with Experience points. These points could be accumulated by competing in tournaments and events in Japan.

Greetz,
Quuador

13 Likes

Here some of my favorites:

And the Eeveelution Gold Stars are great as well of course.

Greetz,
Quuador

10 Likes

These are, I think my favorite cards from the ADV-P set. Some fun things I noticed about the ADV-P set are that the first 12 have got the smallest black star promo logo I have ever seen. Also the february 2004 Meiji set has been completely illustrated by Ken Sugimori
This was also a really low time for the hobby. 011/ADV-P was released on february 2003 and 014/ADV-P was released in June, this might be the least amount of promo cards that were released in such a time period. The ADV-P might be the cheapest promo set to complete, with no major trophy cards sprinkled in the numbered promo, which is nice!
Some other cool cards from the sets:

The PLAY set also has some really nice cards in them, but I currently do not own any of them so it is hard to have a opinion about.

11 Likes

_____'s Groudon is probably my single favorite of the sets, but excluding the cards already posted I’ll go with these.

8 Likes

Another day, another S-tier Marshtomp. Just like the other Arita illustration used for the EX Ruby & Sapphire set version of this card. The art made its way to English as well.

5 Likes

PLAY promos are some of my favorites due to how they were distributed to not only the best players, but also the most loyal fans of the game!

I wrote a whole article on them on my website here, definitely take a peek if you want to see some pics of the other merch from that Players club

pokumon.com/article/pokemon-players-club/

8 Likes

Favorite ADV: Favorite P (tied, equally breathtaking):

8 Likes

I love both these sets of promos! One of my favourite cards from them right now (that hasn’t already been mentioned) is LaRousse’s Munchlax. There are a few different versions, but the best is the holo version of this artwork. lmao didn’t realise that was actually PCG era. I will leave this as my contribution instead, but the above answers are all excellent.

7 Likes

4 Likes

I finally managed to get this card after yearning for it for so long and it looks absolutely stunning in person. This is hands down my favorite card in the hobby. Simple yet so elegant.

I also adore this Squirtle art and it is my favourites from the Meiji promos.

5 Likes

So many to choose from! I’ll pick one I don’t think gets enough love:

Overshadowed by the more popular Eeveelutions, but I prefer this design out of all of them.

3 Likes

We gotta get a clear photo of the best card from players club:

6 Likes

I’m surprised it took this long for the clear winner to make an appearance

1 Like

@smpratte, I think you meant these :wink:

5 Likes

These are faboulous, but Power Keeper’s Charizard as well!

1 Like