Set of the Fortnight #37 - HGSS Black Star & L-P Promos

The random set picker has chosen again, and this time is was the HGSS Black Star Promos. But, since there aren’t too many of those, I’ve decided to include the Japanese promos from the same era, which are the L-P Promos.

HGSS Black Star Promos
L-P Promotional Cards

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/HGSS_Black_Star_Promos_(TCG)
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/L-P_Promotional_cards_(TCG)
Discuss:
Favorite cards in the setWorst cards in the setHow you feel about this set in general
Midway through the fourth generation of Pokémon, the HGSS promo cards started, around the start of 2010. This era is also known as the Pokemon Card Game LEGEND era. The HGSS promos were released between February 2010 and February 2011, and the L-P promos were released between September 2009 and August 2010.

Greetz,
Quuador

6 Likes

My favorite two HGSS promos are the Hitmonlee (which apparently is only available as shattered glass holofoil) and Raikou:

There are some other great HGSS promos, but none that really stand out to me personally.

For the L-P promos there are a few more I like. To start with the Slowpoke and Slowbro:

The three Pikachu Victory Medals:

And some of the Trainer promos in this set are amazing as well, and some of the most collected Trainer promos out there:

And one more I really like (there are more, but otherwise this post would be a bit too big, haha), for obvious reasons, is the Shopping Pikachu:

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

Scrolls Out Boys!

8 Likes

I only just begun to dive into these, but by far these were some of the ones which made me really understand the hype and love for Japanese promos. Theres so many great ones throughout the list, but the ones which stand out the most to me are the holo starters/other johto-mon and the trainers. While the Burned Tower may only be a holo variant compared to the english version which is significantly cheaper, I just find a certain awe to the Japanese one which really personifies the Johto region while the holo almost gives it life which jumps right off the card to me. That paired with the more lively arts of the other cards really help to do my favorite region justice, and that alone makes these something really quite special to me. Even the Indigo Plateau has Celebi on the forefront just gracing the venue with its presence, which adds to its mystery as a mythic pokemon and its symbolic defining of the region. I have that one on the way, as well as some doubles of Cyndaquil and a Sentret Holo which I cant wait for, but heres the progress of what Ive added to my collection so far which Im really grateful to have:

5 Likes

All of those cards are overrated.

Thats an odd way to spell “awesome” that you have there. :blush:

8 Likes

Perfect timing haha, this is actually the promo set I’m working on collecting at the moment. Well this one + the PLAY promos.

Most of the cool L-P Promos have already been shown, but don’t forget these 2!

I love them, especially the Latios :blush:

4 Likes