Set of the Fortnight #36 - Great Encounters

The random name picker has spoken again (after yet again weeks of silence, haha… :relieved: ). This time it’s Great Encounters:

Great Encountersbulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Great_Encounters_(TCG)

Discuss:
Favorite cards in the set
Worst cards in the set
How you feel about this set in general
Great Encounters was the fourth English set released during the Diamond & Pearl era, released on February 13th, 2008. This set contains mostly cards from the Japanese Moonlit Pursuit set, as well as some of the Japanese Dawn Dash set (which were both released as a pair of sets). The missing cards would later be released in English in the Majestic Dawn set. The fifth Japanese DP set Cry from the Mysterious/Temple of Anger was delayed by three months so its release would better line up with the eleventh Pokémon movie: Girantina and the Sky’s Bouquet: Shaymin, which is why the English sets were split up into Great Encounters and Majestic Dawn, to prevent that six months gap.

Greetz,
Quuador

9 Likes

My favorite card of the set is Seviper, which is also my favorite artwork of my Seviper collection:

I also really like this big-eyed Jigglypuff artwork:

Some other artwork I really like of this set are:

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

I like Great Encounters a lot! It has lots of quality cards and I feel like this is yet another overlooked DP-era set. I’ve always liked the starter trio holos from the set.

Here are some of my favorites:

1 Like

Arita’s underwater illustrations are second to none. The Wailord’s the easy standout for me

2 Likes

Reminds me of this scene from Finding Nemo:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5gS_xZXLQ0

2 Likes

https://i.imgur.com/uAGVCEj.png
I recently got this one from Great Encounters, gorgeous card!

4 Likes

Whipped out my childhood binder, this set was released during my prime collecting years! The reverse holos are amazing too, but I have so many I just didn’t know which to photograph.

2 Likes

Favourites (Some already posted above):

Shame the LV.Xs got reprinted as promos without even the distinction that they were promos or even offering an alternate art (or am I wrong my memory is a bit fuzzy?):

2 Likes

Great Encounters is the best set. It was my first prerelease and how I got back into the game!

1 Like

You can tell this is truly a forum for collectors and not players when no one has mentioned this bad boy! One of the best cards in the format at the time, in almost every deck. Made Stage 2 decks possible and combos easier to pull off.

5 Likes

It’s been a while since I’ve looked at these cards (was pretty young when the set came out), though from memory I thought that all of the reprint promos had the promo symbol instead of the set symbol. Though I might be wrong, I think most of the Promos I had were from the tins.

That Blaziken is by far my favourite out of the set!

I remember the claydol and uxie days! The beta form of E4 was the “where are the collectors at?” thread on Pokegym. My first sentence in that thread was, “I am tired of reading about claydols & uxies”! :blush:

Great Encounters cards are still “new cards” for me. Crazy that was already 10 years ago.

1 Like

I still recognize so many of the avatars on that thread ahah

1 Like