Set of the Fortnight #34 - XY BREAKthrough

As always, I keep forgetting about these. :confused: But, the random picker has decided again:

XY BREAKthroughbulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/BREAKthrough_(TCG)

Discuss:
Favorite cards in the set
Worst cards in the set
How you feel about this set in general
BREAKthrough was the eight English set of the XY era. Not much to say about the set. The set was released on November 4, 2015 in English (and September 26, 2015 in Japanese). It features a couple of the BREAK cards, and features a few Mega Pokémon, including both Mega Mewtwo X and Y.
So, let me know what you think of the set; what memories you have of it; and what your favorite or least favorite cards of the set are.

Greetz,
Quuador

Never forget VANISING STRIKE

3 Likes

What I really like about the set is the diversity in artworks. The style of the different illustrators whom made artwork for this set is really different. I also like the little theme that is going on with for example the berries (and mostly Chespin) cards:

I also really like the pair of Doduo cards and the carrier theme:

And apart from those there are just some pretty solid artworks in this set:

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

Break through was the first modern set I really fell in love with. Mega Mewtwo was the first deck I piloted (poorly) after getting back into collecting. The cubone artwork in this set hits right in the feelings.

1 Like

I like Komiya’s art because it really looks hand drawn with a lot of care to positioning and detail

3 Likes

Breakthrough isn’t my favorite set by any means, but there are some nice cards in it.

These Axew cards have always made me so happy for some reason. He is so cute.

I like this Quilava a lot too. The colors are nice and vibrant and I like the pose (fun fact, Quilava is actually my favorite from the Cyndaquil evolution like).

This one is my favorite of the Mewtwo FA cards in the set:

1 Like

Holy halibut, some of these are truly incredible. The second Doduo, Kirlia, Elygem, and Cubone are 99th+ percentile artworks. So much personality and character expressed in such a tiny image.

For a long time, I’ve been very anti-modern and super nostalgic for vintage sets. But it’s cards like these that have softened up my heart for the new era of the TCG. A subtle change in my life recently has been deciphering positive qualities from otherwise negative situations, and I’m glad I can appreciate cards like these now.

2 Likes