Set of the Fortnight #31 - Platinum

Last one was in April, so I’m months behind again… This time I placed all sets in a random generator, which is how I will do it from now on for the remaining sets. The first random pick was Platinum, so that will be the one for this Set of Fortnight. :blush:

Platinumbulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Platinum_(TCG)

Discuss:
Favorite cards in the set
Worst cards in the set
How you feel about this set in general
This is the first set of the Platinum (DPt in Japanese) era. The set was released on October 10th, 2008 in Japanese and February 11th, 2009 in English. This set featured the first Pokémon SP (Special Pokémon), containing a box of the trainer similar as with the earlier Gym Heroes and Challenge sets and Pokémon VS cards. For this first set featuring SP Pokémon there are Pokémon G, which stands for Team Galactic.

Greetz,
Quuador

6 Likes

Oh yes! Platinum is a very nice set overall in my opinion. I also have very good memories with it because I remember getting very good pulls from random packs. A toy store here once had packs for like 2 € each on clearance and I had amazing pulls from all the packs I bought.

Here are some of my favorite cards from it. I think all the holo cards are great on it overall:

5 Likes

When I posted this thread I did so in a bit of a hurry, and didn’t had time to post an answer like I usually do. :blush: I see @xzini has already posted some very solid ones I would have picked some of myself, like the first Dialga, second Girantina, Gardevoir, and Ninetales. Some others I kinda like (Happiny is my favorite of the bunch):

I really like how expressive all four Pokémon are with their poses and/or smiles, and the background are very good as well for these four. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

Dang it @quuador now I have to go buy that Ludicolo, it’s just such a solid design!

Mjisaacs

1 Like

It looks like the Ludicolo is “dab-ing” possible FAD to cash in on? :stuck_out_tongue:

Shaymin for me makes this set.

Its also about nostalgia. I was 18 or 19 when I went back in Toys R Us to get my nephew into pokemon and was surprised there were new sets and new pokemon. We watched dialga vs giritina scene from a movie and shaymin kind of 'blew up’between them so bright even they paused fighting for a moment. LOVE THAT SHIT.

So opening these created a time nostalgia point in my life and getting back into it recently has made me keen to finish the set.
Im not super keen on reverse holos because it makes it that much harder. The lv x are cool, the secret rares to me are weird as they are the same artwork and the shiny holo rares are a bit weird too.

They arent super easy to find in Aus but hope to finish this amazing collection at some point! Gimme that sexy shaymin lv x baby!

1 Like