Set of the Fortnight #1

@arkhive, thanks for the reply, you sure it’s true though? I mean, I have some cards with the stamp that are Non-holos. Look at that:

Now you got me kind of worried :grin: Is there something wrong with my cards or are there non-holos with the stamp?

@slakingisking , are the card names in gold or just plain black? I’m a touch worried you have fakes since I can’t tell from the pictures. I did some digging on ebay and found this. I’m sure that the reverse holos from ex legend maker had the stamp and had some sort of holo on them.

Victreebel: www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Victreebel-reverse-Holo-ex-legend-maker-2006-Psa-gem-mint-10-/223974483596?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Edit: From what I’ve found, the rare and holo rares that were reverse holos (with the stamp) had golden writing for their names instead of black. The Legend Maker reverse holos all had a holo pattern to it, so if it’s a non-holo with the stamp then they’re fake.

Second edit: Sorry man, but I think the cards are fake. There are some typos on it and the font is off :confused:

2 Likes

They are just plain black. I don’t know if I’d jump to conclusions so quickly. Perhaps this is another variant? Did you take a look a couple of posts above on skinst and his Fieldworker with the stamp? It’s not reverse holo, it’s got a black font and yellow border, just like my cards.

All the reverse holos COULD have the stamp but are you sure that all the cards with the stamps are necessarily reverse holos? I wish there was better information about it online like for example about Base Set… Legend Maker is not nearly as popular though so it might be more difficult to dig up that many details

Also sorry if this is a stupid question (I’m new to the hobby), but the Victreebel you sent looks non-holo to me. Where is the holofoil part? I thought in reverse holos it was supposed to be everything but the picture and on the photo I see no holo pattern at all. Please bear with me, I’m new to this :grin:

Edit: Well, tough luck for me I guess. I was little when I got them on a trip with my parents, I couldn’t possibly have known what’s legit and what’s not. Heck, I barely even knew English back then so checking for typos was difficult as well

I’m very confident that any of the ex legend makers reverse holos that had the stamp were also holo as that was the set design at the time. It changed throughout the EX series, some of them had the stamp but different holo patterns compared to Legend Maker. You’re welcome to look through google and check that out since there were several different designs. However, I’m sure it isn’t a variant. Also, in a lot of photos you cannot see the holo pattern since you need light to catch it at an angle: Here’s a photo that shows it from troll and toad that shows the holo pattern: www.trollandtoad.com/pokemon/ex-legend-maker-reverse-holo-singles/fieldworker-73-92-uncommon-reverse-holo/1123282

As for the Victreebel that I sent, it is flat and the lighting isn’t great so you can’t see it. However, you can see that the HP and the Victreebel writing is in gold which is what I wanted to check your cards with. If your cards don’t have the gold writing, and I don’t think they do from the pictures, I think they’re fake. There are also typos and the layout of the card is different from the real ones that I’ve found. You can compare and see. For example, the Victreebel has a typo in it’s first attack under Sleep Poison. It should say Defending Pokemon but it only says Defending. For the Wailord, I can’t see clearly but I believe there is a typo before “the Retreat Cost.” It should be a comma not a period.

No worries, just hoping to show what I’ve found! I hope I’m wrong and these are some variant that don’t show up on my searches but I don’t think so unfortunately.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right to point that out, thanks for that lesson, it’s gonna help me for sure in the future. Also one thing I noticed, a dead giveaway without even going to details like “.” and “,” is to check if it’s spelled “Pokémon” (original) or “Pokemon” (fake). Unless there are some sets where they didn’t use “é”. But in most cases that I checked it’s supposed to be “Pokémon”.

Welp, at least my EX Sandstorm cards seem legit (too bad there’s only 6 of them :grin: :grin: )

Thanks for the help, I don’t want to go off topic so let’s maybe cut it here and not make a mess out of this thread

2 Likes

@slakingisking Looks like it’s already sorted out, but I’m afraid both of those cards you’ve posted are indeed fake. @arkhive is correct that most sets in the EX era had reverse holos like that, where the artwork is holofoil and they usually had the set name at the bottom-right of the artwork. And Holofoil Rares as ‘Reverse Holo’ sometimes also had a golden name, HP, and rarity symbol, to further distinguish it from the regular Holofoil Rare version. (One small correction of what @arkhive mentioned, it actually started with the EX Hidden Legends set, and indeed stopped with the EX Power Keepers set).

As for your Wailord and Victreebel, you indeed already noticed the ‘Pokemon’ with regular ‘e’ instead of ‘é’, which is pretty common with fake cards. Apart from that, the font is also incorrect when comparing it to the real card, and the black parts of the Energy symbols are too large as well.

I’m not sure if you’ve bought these Wailord and Victreebel online recently, in which case you might be able to still get your money back? Or if you’ve once pulled them from fake packs in the past, in which case you might have some more fake cards?
Anyway, good luck with your collection goals. EX Legend Maker is a pretty cool set imo. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

My parents bought them for me like 10+ years ago when we were on a holiday trip :grin: I’m afraid I wouldn’t be able to return the cards. Interestingly, even though the majority is fake, some seem legit actually (from EX Sandstorm). Unless that’s just a way better fake.

Anyways, thanks man :blush: When I complete the set, I’m most likely gonna share it with you guys on E4. Still a long way to go though

1 Like