Sep 8th - Sep 15th - Gyarados Gold Star - Holon

Card of the week - September 8th - September 15th, 2015****Gyarados Gold Star - Holon

XY9 is a Shiny Gyarados themed set, and I have been slacking on the COTW. So here is Gold Star Gyarados in honour of this awesome news.

Aesthetically, which is your favourite Gold Star card?****

2 Likes

Gotta go with Charizard, the lighting effect is awesome on the English + the yellow border.

1 Like

Give it up ladies and gentlemen for RAYQUAZA GOLD STAR!!!

2 Likes

I will add another question:

Usually I find Japanese Cards better looking than their English equivelants, but when it comes to Gold Stars I think the English Cards look MUCH better because of the Yellow Border. What about you guys?

2 Likes

wow what scanner do you use my friend? the cards look amazing and well lit!

I prefer the English ones Gold Stars as well!

‘Edit my scans a bit afterwards’

1 Like

Still having strong bias towards Mew, can’t get enough from that card. Latias is another amazing card.

Have to agree with @milhouse , generally speaking I prefer japanese ex-series cards but english Rayquaza gold star looks wonderful with yellow borders. :blush:

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But in all honesty, I really like the design of Raquaza’s more than this one.

As for English versus Japanese with this set, I do like the English more because the border works best generally.

1 Like

I adore Torchic, easily my favorite star.
Honorable mentions to Suicune and Latias.

2 Likes

I will refrain from shameless dick-measuring and not post pictures of my own gold stars… :wink: but I have to go with the classics. Rayquaza gold star is one of the most powerful looking cards ever printed, and Charizard is simple and sweet. Umbreon is beautifully elegant as well. They’re the most expensive, but for a reason.

If I had to pick a less-prestigious gold star, I would probably choose Kyogre. It was my first gold star once I got back into collecting and I’ll always have a soft spot for it. But to be honest, I can’t think of a bad gold star. Masakazu Fukuda did them all, which lends the whole series a cohesiveness and beauty not seen in many other “secret rare” sets. IMO the simplicity, rarity, and beauty of the gold stars overall is what makes them such a desirable set for collectors.

4 Likes