Seasonal-Themed Pokemon Cards?

@lookaclara Yes please! And curious what you have for a forest theme in general, I was actually super tempted to run a forest page, too. I may still. These were too compelling:

@martin …I love him, he’s perfect :star_struck:

4 Likes

Surprised this hasn’t been mentioned yet.

3 Likes

1 Like

And now I’m wondering what other cards have Japanese shrines/temples/etc. in them, like your Heracross and this Poliwhirl…

There’s an abundance of shrines in HGSS-era sets (thanks Johto), it makes them fun to look through and notice all the tie-ins with the region’s landmarks.

@azulryu if I can afford Sapporo’s Pikachu (and I think I can) it’s a lock, especially with that Vulpix sweater.

@cdarwin7 of course. Oranguru. Locked in, THANK YOU

@subcat Can’t thank you enough for the HGSS tip. Went down a rabbit hole with these shrines/temples/related objects. I’d love to find more outside HGSS, this is very much up my alley.

2 Likes

I will probably upload my forest binder by the end of June! (Working on my meadow binder next lol).
But yes, I definitely have a page for mushrooms. The mushroom cards are some of my favourites :smiley:

I have a page for winter and autumn. I didn’t put aside pages for spring/summer because in a lot of cases (at least in a forest lol) they seemed interchangeable. If you want I can go through and find some cards that are more summer-y than others, though!

Here are some Autumn-esque cards:

I have this one placed opposite Nidorina · FireRed & LeafGreen (RG) #40 :slight_smile:

Here are some of the others I have in my binder!

1 Like

What do you do with this one?? because when you look at the art looks like the Art is split like a Rainbow but actually each is a different season (Winter, Spring, Summer and Autumn) at least that is what I think

5 Likes

Definitely my favorites for Fall

5 Likes

Spring

Summer

4 Likes

Spring

Summer

Spring

1 Like

Not out yet, but this one for summer. (Also, bonus points for this being the best Kantonian Pokemon.)

1 Like

All of these are awesome. I’m getting the point where I’m seriously considering two pages for each season… or at least finding other themes to showcase some of these Pokemon in.

@lookaclara Appreciate you as always. I had no idea about that Bayleaf, and I’m reminded of the Togepi and Ninetales I have for autumn. The Ponyta also reminds me of my trip to Nara in fall a few years ago. These are really, really great.

@antcom I have never seen these cards before in my life, and now I desperately want this Dragonite line. It’s a little hard for me to justify the price but I’m still seriously considering. Wow.

@wayward The Beedrill is 1,000% in my Spring collection, he’s had his place held there for a while. It’s too good.

@niece Slowpoke :star_struck: Maybe he breaks into a garden-themed page…

@cdarwin7 That’s fantastic. 151’s honestly the set I’m most looking forward to, and the only one I’ve wanted to make a master set for since I got back into this TCG.

Here’s what I’m currently planning (and am desperately trying to limit this to one page per season - if something else great isn’t in there, it’s probably because of budget constraints, but I can always slowly upgrade the thematic over time). I have separate pages planned for a garden theme, a forest theme, some combat/ghost pages, and a Japanese shrines/temples theme.

Winter

Spring (maybe I sub out the Meowth for the Slowpoke or something similar… the Squirtle and Bulbasaur are handpainted cards):

Summer (more in flux, has some placeholders):

Autumn (may swap Sceptile for Togepi, or Raticate for Ninetales - pretty torn, though, on the Raticate in particular)

5 Likes

Your pages look so good so far - you’ve got some great contenders :smiley: I know, it’s tricky limiting the collection to just to one page per season haha! It’s kinda how I went from just collecting a few floral cards I liked to having a full binder, to now having three four binders (I forgot about my fourth binder that I’ve kinda kept a surprise/secret - might be able to post that in July lol). And I already am making plans for more lol - which will give me more space for more seasonal cards, too. :')

If you end up doing a garden page please let me know! I want to see more people collect themed binders and my garden binder would love the company :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, I really want to visit Nara! I am worried it’ll be too hot in August when we are there for Worlds 2023 but maybe I should do it anyway. My dream is definitely to visit in the autumn, though. :smiley:

2 Likes

@lookaclara I love your approach to things. My goals for collecting have morphed from capturing nostalgia to compiling something I’d love to look back at from time to time, and themed collections are a great way to go about doing that. I’ll definitely do the garden page, it’s just harder to narrow things down!

Here are a couple gardening-type cards I really love:

Kansai in summer is nasty but if you ever go September or later, it’s absolutely worth it. If you need any recs for food/sights/anything in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka or Nara, please let me know and I’ll message you some stuff. You could totally plant that Ponyta in this background, though:

2 Likes