Recurring Themes in Pokémon Card Art - Share Your Favorites!

While looking into Taiga Kayama’s beautiful illustrations, I noticed some interesting recurring themes - similarities in card art direction across different illustrators, Pokémon species, expansions, and generations. These are not direct references or intended connected art, but coincidentally related cards through a shared visual idea. For example: Pokémon assisting food stalls;

Pokémon admiring flowers in inhospitable environments;

Or Pokémon sitting on benches;

These kinds of incidental shared themes could make for fun collection goals.

Have you noticed any particularly fun or interesting recurring themes in Pokémon cards? Have you maybe already started such a collection? Let’s share some fun coincidental connections in this topic!

23 Likes

I love these Bagon cards. He is similar to Magicarp in that he dreams of becoming great one day. In his instance particularly, flying up in the sky. I think the artist do a spectacular job reflecting that here:

6 Likes

6 Likes

I’m gonna look for that Granbull to add to my daily life collection, I’m collecting cards where it shows pokemon doing mundane things! Thanks for sharing!

I’ll present pokemon playing with each other:

8 Likes

Great thread idea. I enjoy cards which show a more mischievous / playfully disruptive side of the Pokemon interaction. Some are intentional, some are unintentional. But I really enjoy the stories these cards tell by the artwork.

Cheers!

10 Likes

Correct

Great thread idea. I think groups of cards with themes like these are so underrated.

1 Like

I hope this thread gets filled with posts since i just saw a theme like this that i adored but my stupid brain goo already forgot what it was and it’s bugging the hell out of me

4 Likes

5 Likes

We will await patiently.

1 Like

Swinub and houndour from TRR is one of my fave examples :blush:

7 Likes

My time has come!

I have an insane theory that Kyoko Umemoto has been drawing Pokemon above, around, or deep within the Umemoto River for the past two decades. This river traverses across multiple geographies and generations.

Once you see it, you’ll never unsee it. :ocean: :ocean: :ocean:

18 Likes

My favorite example of this
IMG_2344

7 Likes

Some wonderful additions so far!

Another bench Pokémon and two flower-admirers to add to the ones from the first post;

Reflections;

Cookies and candy and chocolate and all kind of other sweets;

6 Likes

The “ancient carving/medieval drawing artwork depicting a legend”:

11 Likes

Apparently I have a very strong fetish for this type of card, there is some commonality here. The elevation, the perspective, the depth, crepuscular/nocturnal, lots of greenery. The tranquil and the thrilling in perfect harmony.

5 Likes

:mushroom: :paw_prints:

2 Likes

2 Likes

h3
h4
h5

3 Likes

Underground lakes, sea caves and speleothems.

5 Likes