SeasidePokemon's Collection

Hello and welcome to another monthly collection update! This month was pretty low key in terms of actual collecting. This will be a short update consisting of a two-card order I received from PSA this month. First up, the Bilingual Exeggutor I peeled out of the sealed Trainer Magazine Vol. 3 mentioned in last months post received a PSA 10 grade! :palm_tree:

Also, a CGC 9.5 Expedition Dragonite I cracked and regraded with PSA received a 9, which is exactly what I was hoping for. Happy to add it to my collection!

That’s all for this month, until next time!

23 Likes

I love the way you did this! Absolutely beautiful collection :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Last month I went on what felt like a real-life PokĂ©mon adventure to the actual Kanto region, Japan. I spent two weeks traveling through the urban districts of Tokyo, attending the World Championships in Yokohama, climbing Fushimi Inari in Kyoto, and bowing with the deer of Nara. Traveling to Japan has been something I’ve always wanted to experience and it did not disappoint. I got to visit so many places, eat so much good food and of-course experience a lot of PokĂ©mon, which I’ll focus on here.

At the World Championships in Yokohama I was able to purchase the newly renamed and released World’s Promo; Paradise Resort from a Staff member. This was extremely exciting for me since I have been in love with World’s promo’s for a few years now and getting to purchase one upon release at the actual event is something I’ve dreamed about doing since starting my collection. As for the artwork, I know some people weren’t big on it but I can’t help but love it! Lapras has always been one of my favorite PokĂ©mon and the integration of the Yokohama skyline helps make this card so memorable and special to me.

I also made it into the Worlds PokĂ©mon Center store where I was able to purchase many things but perhaps most notably was the exclusive Pikachu ex deck. Fortunately both graded 10’s.

Also at World’s I was extremely lucky to meet Junichi Masuda and Tsunekazu Ishihara. Pictured below is a photo of myself meeting Junichi Masuda and the postcards that he and Tsunekazu Ishihara signed.

While PokĂ©mon was a big part of the trip it was not my primary focus. The beating heart of my trip was centered on getting to experience the culture of Japan, visiting new and exciting towns, shrines and eating at delicious restaurants. However, no matter where I went in Japan, even when I wasn’t looking
 PokĂ©mon seemed to find me.

I’m also a pretty avid PokĂ©mon Go player so throughout my trip I was able to catch all the Japan regional exclusive Pokemon. Tokyo was by far the best city I have ever been to in terms of Poke-Stops, Gym’s and spawns. If you play PokĂ©mon Go also and would like to be friends, please feel free to add me! My trainer code is: 5985 8019 1411

Lastly, while back in the states I picked up a Southern Island Togepi and the Black Star promo Pikachu and Rapidash for my WotC collection.

That’s all for now, thanks as always for stopping by to check out my thread!

Till next time!

32 Likes

So glad you had an awesome trip! It was wonderful meeting you quickly, and I hope to have more time at future events to hear about your amazing collection!

1 Like

Sounds like an amazing trip thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thank you, Nick! I hope your trip was great as well! How did your son do in the tournament? It was really nice to meet you too as well as all the other E4 members I met. Looking forward to going to more events in the future. :slight_smile:

1 Like

While one of the shorter collection threads, definitely worth savoring! Dang, Seaside! Great pieces here. Love that Gengar sketch! haha. The dogs/cats are cool too, but Gengar is totally trolling us.

Fun updates from the events, and congrats on the worlds cards! :star_struck:

1 Like

It’s been a little while since I’ve made an update here, but I recently achieved a monumental goal! I am now the very lucky owner of a Parent-Child Kangaskhan!

Story time!
(TLDR at the bottom of this post)

Years ago when I first learned of this card I never thought I would ever realistically be able to own one. It was always a far off dream to me, because of that I wouldn’t even consider chasing it. Fast forward to August 2023 in Yokohama, Japan. At the E4 meetup, a very nice member named Nathan allowed me to hold and take a photo of his raw copy that he was selling. I couldn’t believe I was even seeing one let alone getting to hold it! I was so excited to tell my friends what I had seen.

This wasn’t the copy I would end up buying but just getting to see the card in person for the first time was the spark that I needed.

(Side note: I later learned that one of the Kamex Mega Battle regional events was held at the Pacifico in Yokohama, which is the same venue that Worlds was taking place in at this time! Which means that, however unlikely, it is entirely possible that the Kangaskhan that I was holding could have been awarded at that very location, only to return home 25 years later! What a cool possibility! Alright back to my ramblings)

When I got back home from Japan, I continued to mull it over. At the time I was well into my WotC PSA 9 collecting and feared that if I sold it all to acquire a Kangaskhan that I would effectively be at a dead end. I was not sure if I would want to re-collect all the cards that I would need to sell to make it happen. Long story short, I decided it was worth it. I felt like acquiring this card even in rough shape would become an even greater difficulty as time goes on and I’d always have the opportunity to re-collect WotC if I have enough patience. Plus, this was a dream card after all and it was more fun to challenge myself. As far as what direction my collecting would take, if I actually pulled it off, I’d figure that out when I got there.

So, I did it! Over the next six months I sold a large portion of my collection to help fund this new endeavor. I was just about to make a buy thread and start what I thought would be another 6-12 months of searching for one in the Authentic to PSA 6 range when a PSA 8 appeared on Goldin
my stomach sank and my heart skipped a beat. I couldn’t believe one actually came up for auction right as I was finally in a position to buy one. However, I figured I probably wouldn’t have a shot at one in this condition since the last PSA 8 sold for well above what I was looking to pay, but knew I had to try. I placed my bid on a Thursday, and to my absolute shock not only was I the highest bidder, but nobody else bid at any point and I won the auction the following Saturday. I could not believe it! Needless to say I was (and still am) over the moon with excitement.
:blush:

kangaimage

So, that brings me to where I’m at now. What’s next? Well, for the first time in a long while, I don’t really have an active goal that I’m chasing and it’s honestly a bit of a relief. It feels like for the last five years I have been tirelessly climbing Mt. Silver, always staying hyper focused on whatever goal I had my sights on and would not allow myself to deviate from that goal for better or worse. Now that Iv’e reached my final destination I can finally rest, turn around and collect those other cards I passed along the way. I think I became disillusioned at some point thinking that if I didn’t have a highly graded mint collection, with uniform grades that I would be unsatisfied with it. I became too rigid. I had a severely restrictive perspective that only limited what I would collect. I was missing the forest for the trees. And ironically, it took catching a Kangaskhan for me to realize that I had been stuck in the Safari Zone.

This could be a fleeting feeling, maybe I’ll get the urge to rebuild a graded 1st Edition Base set. I will certainly still be collecting WotC and graded cards in general, but will be far less one-track minded this time around. But for now, I think I’m going to take it slow, appreciate what I have, and get back to my binders that I’ve been neglecting for far too long

TLDR: I never thought I’d own a Parent/Child Kangaskhan so I never thought to try. In Japan this past summer, I was able to see one in person and it changed that. I consolidated a large portion of my collection to fund this new goal. Six months later a copy appeared for auction and I lucked out and won. I’ve decided to be less rigid in my collecting goals, to take things slow, and give my binders some much needed attention.

Till next time!

41 Likes

I am so stoked for you and this collection update, what a major accomplishment! I know you are a dedicated collector and overall Pokemon enthusiast and this has got to be such a fulfilling and exciting experience. How cool :grin:

As a side note, your collection thread in general has to be one of the best on the forum - the way you present the cards, the stories, the banners, etc. are all top tier. Such a joy to peruse through!

1 Like

The joy I obtain in reading this, not only the story, not only my pride in seeing it go to such a deserving collector (and jealousy, perhaps? Just a little?..), but also your wonderful banner motif that you’re so consistent with in presentation. As I’ve said, your collection thread is one of those banger standouts on the forum. It emanates pride, presentation, and flair. It has the personality of the seaside surfer. It’s wondrous, it’s cinematic, it’s satisfyingly anecdotal to the point of legend.

This is the holy grail of Pokemon for me. Yes, above the pikachu’s, the SSB’s, EVEN THE TROPICAL MEGA BATTLES (which is saying so much). Kang is the one and all, the only, the monolith, the greatest. Though I do understand Tropical Wind is right there as well, right under its wingspan which also so well suits you
 Honestly
 I can’t imagine you regretting the exodus of WOTC. You can get 'em back, we’ve known them our whole lives, they aren’t rare, they aren’t even hard to get in 9’s etc., whereas having Kang is truly cosmic. It’s so funny to me that you mentioned having held one prior to obtaining it, providing you with such a spark. Because this very week, just within days of the story, I told my friend (who always jokes with me about Kang—how much I want one), just imagine holding it. It must be otherworldly to behold.

Congratulations a million times man. So awesome. And this was me reading this glorious perfect post.

200w.gif ?cid=6c09b952nno4eg2lhbjsuhe5orlrvr00ypexrmkt5hdx5643&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w. gif&ct=g

7 Likes

Great story @SeasidePokemon . It is a reminder that inspiration can strike at any moment and some of the seemingly out of reach cards can become reality with the drive and enthusiasm that you showed to be able to get this huge card in your collection. It was a joy to read and feel genuine happiness for you.

As always, your collection thread presentation are immaculate and a joy to behold. Thanks again for sharing the update.

Cheers!

6 Likes

Firstly, congrats on the pick up. Whether in collecting or in life, it’s also super inspiring to watch people achieve goals they have set for themselves, no matter how unachievable they themselves, or others perceive them to be.

This is an especially cool thing to see for someone super new to the hobby. This hobby can be extremely overwhelming for someone new, especially on E4 as you scroll through posts of people’s collections and feel the $ value of certain things makes them seem wildly unachievable.

Two weeks ago I had no idea what a trophy card was, let alone have the opportunity to see someone acquire one they had been chasing.

Congrats again, and look forward to watching what comes next.

2 Likes

Incredible. I’m really glad to see this pay off for you!

2 Likes

Very very cool and congrats on an awesome purchase :tada::confetti_ball::champagne:

2 Likes

@camrok37 @brendantheclayboy @mrbubbles @Bingbong @lamplamp @Charizard1020
Thank you all so much for your kindness! I have taken a lot of inspiration from the many many other incredible collection threads on the forum, including many of your own! It is honestly so heartwarming to hear you enjoy my posts in here and is one of the many reasons I enjoy sharing them with you all. :bowing_man:

And @Bingbong, I think I know exactly what you mean. I remember joining the forum and being absolutely astounded at all the amazing cards other members had and was almost too intimidated to post. Thankfully I realized that we are all just people doing the same thing. I’m glad you’re here! :smile:

9 Likes

I love the focus. Congrats it’s very inspiring

2 Likes

Congratulations! Stunning copy and I think you got a great deal on this, I personally thought this would go higher. This story really resonates with me, and your rationale for selling and acquiring one. This is exactly what I had to do to acquire my Kang in terms of selling a large portion of my collection. I do miss my old cards, especially my 1st ed base set, but as you said I can gradually re build that over time if I decide.

2 Likes

Congrats man!!! Reading this thread makes me happy. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Love seeing this update again. Really cool to hear the backstory and see how it’s changed your perspective on collecting. Life, like collecting it seems, is not linear! Hope you enjoy this win and look forward to your next collection update.

2 Likes

Sublime!!!

1 Like