Sealed Booster Pack Prices

It seems a lot of people are cracking sealed booster packs on social media over the last little while. As a result I have noticed booster pack prices going up. Unlimited packs are even $100+ right now when I recall them being roughly half that about a year ago.

With the current trend of card prices continuing to climb for 1st edition WOTC cards/ sealed WOTC product, I am wondering if it will continue to grow and be like vintage comics/baseball cards were prices for the really good stuff are astronomical and you had to get into the game early if you wanted to grow your collection without deep pockets.

I am curious if it is worth holding onto my small WOTC sealed booster pack collection as an investment.

Currently I have:

• base unlimited charizard artwork long pack

• fossil unlimited aerodactly artwork long pack

• fossil first edition zapdos 1st edition

• Team Rocket first edition

• Gym Challenge Unlimited

• Base 2 Gyarados Artwork

I only spent about $100 USD on all of them together, so I am not into them for big money or anything. I don’t know if I trust myself to not open them at some point, although I’ve had them for sometime now and kept them sealed.

Looking forward to others thoughts on sealed booster packs and what they think they may be worth down the road.

Buy/hold onto what you genuinely like.

The big trend right now is selling box fresh packs. From a trusted seller, this attracts a premium price for the opportunity of pulling an unweighed pack. 1 year ago, this was not a big thing on eBay. Although prices are still creeping up, the big jump in sold listings you see is a “box fresh pack” vs a random, most likely weighed single booster pack. This trend is helping boost the overall prices in sealed packs, but the big jump is simply from a premium being offered.

2 Likes

hodl base set packs

1 Like

@stibs. This is exactly right. With all the scammers and things going on, getting an unweighed pack by a reputable seller seems slim to none… which is why packs are holding a premium.

A few weeks ago I ordered 5 packs to open for my brothers wedding (for Groomsman and Groom):
Base 2
Fossil Unlimited x2
Jungle Unlimited x2

I paid $50 for each. I paid a premium because each one was weighed the seller showed each one on a postal scale. They were all holos 5/5. It was great because these guys grew up with Pokemon cards and it might be the last time they ever pull a pack fresh WOTC holo.

I also sold a PSA 10 Charizard Triangle Error pack for $1,000 that I graded myself.

In July I purchased a box fresh 1st edition Fossil for $50 as well and would have gladly paid a little more for it.

For some people, collecting them in where it’s at. For others (like myself) opening these and possible grading the pulls makes it worth it. Either way, they ain’t making any more so expect the prices for these to keep rising.